It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim woman wearing veil 'refused bus ride' in London

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I understand and i agree. But this doesnt have a religious or belief circumstance.
Also i think that the right of your individuality is questionable when it breaks in the comfort of others and their space. I speak of this in concrete;
Cover your face when you're in a country where it is not common and also causes the discomfort of others for fear that you are a potential thief well... really is not a common sense behavior and nobody is going to applaud you.

if we dont then we deny ourselfs and lose a bit more of humanity it would be as if telling someone they cant wear a cross or a dashiki lol or even a suit and tie

you are kidding not? its overreaction i guess,
the driver wasnt refused to let the woman to take the bus because she was using a cross or another special suit, it was just because she was covering her face, her identity, thats all.

it is about religous beliefs its theirs to wear it but i conceed its also about others feeling secure and comfortable but someone elses comfort and sense of security should be of no consiquence. here in america if a black guy tried to board a bus in the middle of the night covered in chains and rings and a gold tooth with a bunch of white people it would make them uncomfortable and they would be a bit afraid but if they were refused access because of what they wear the media would be in an uproar if it was brought to the public eye.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tahuti

and you shouldnt have to show your idenity to anyone unless you choose to or are charged with a crime

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I don't see how it's any different to the way women who are visiting strictly theocratic Islamic countries must wear the veil. If they impose that law in their own countries, then surely they must respect opposite sentiments in other countries.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tahuti

it is about religious beliefs

from her! but not for the driver. The fact is she was covering her identity.
cultures conflict, do you see?
try to give a ride to someone with face covered in your car, i bet you would not to do if they dont have face exposed. Its for the same reason.

anyway it doesnt matter, its complex
something like the The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera lol someone is thinking a thing, the other is thinking another.

... if a black guy tried to board a bus in the middle of the night covered in chains and rings and a gold tooth with a bunch of white people it would make them uncomfortable and they would be a bit afraid but if they were refused access because of what they wear the media would be in an uproar if it was brought to the public eye.

well, if the guy is carrying chains or any potential weapon (baseball bates, tubes, sharping edge accesories) for sure he cant take any pubilic transportation in my country. Its for security measurement.

anyway, i believe you have my point.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Actually, it is not a case of religious beliefs, but of cultural beliefs. The veil is not required by the Qu'ran, in any way. It is older than Islam - common to both Persian and Christian(Byzantine) cultures, which was later adopted by Islamic culture. It's got nothing to do with the Qu'ran.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by CodyOutlaw]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Id say this is simple the bus driver was being prejudice towards her notice i didn't say racist. This bus driver had no right to tell her she couldn't ride since no company policy was made.Right or wrong in his beliefs he should be fired for not following company policy. If the owners had made the decision to ban the veil id support that 100 percent its there business. This driver had no right to do so.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
I don't see how it's any different to the way women who are visiting strictly theocratic Islamic countries must wear the veil. If they impose that law in their own countries, then surely they must respect opposite sentiments in other countries.

I didnt think about that you are correct, and i conceed all the things i have stated, it is true that while in their countries even american women must be covered so if we must follow their culture they must follow ours. I applaud you well done!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

" I don't see how it's any different to the way women who are visiting strictly theocratic Islamic countries must wear the veil. If they impose that law in their own countries, then surely they must respect opposite sentiments in other countries. "

A Perfect acessment on the Topic of this Thread . Respect of the LAW no matter where you happen to be at the time regardless of Nationality .

.......Bravo !..........

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Bravo to the bus driver.

For all he knew it could have been two children stood on each others shoulders.

Seriously though - Good for him.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
i wear a necklace of human teeth and carry a big stick, forget my tats from head to toe, which are very nice,btw.

i also have 3d body mods and love my vintage bella logosi cape.

unfortunately, i have to ride the bus to get to work, at la casa de mio.

do i cover MY face? nooooooooooooo! lol.

stupid burkas.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I wonder how many 'muslim woman' on busses are men? how many use just one bus pass? why are tyhe brits bending over backwards to placate the muslims? I noticed an EDL/muslim riot in Dudley (England) was not reported on BBC TV, only in 'Atlas shrugs' from the account, the Brit police stodd by as the muslims beat up the peaceful EDL crowd. (EDL english defence league)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I just remembered something which may or may not be salient:

At the time of the London 7/7 bombings one of the buses targeted was at Russell Square - this driver in question was on the Paddington to Russell Square route according to the article. Perhaps with it being July and the same vicinity he had a bad feeling ?

Well, if I was his brief at a disciplinary hearing or any other I'd be pushing for that line of defence !

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
Actually, it is not a case of religious beliefs, but of cultural beliefs. The veil is not required by the Qu'ran, in any way. It is older than Islam - common to both Persian and Christian(Byzantine) cultures, which was later adopted by Islamic culture. It's got nothing to do with the Qu'ran.

Nice to hear from someone that knows what they are talking about - there was an immam on the bbc the other day arguing against the bhurka.

It is very unlikely any clothing will be banned over here but showing the face may be required in certain circumstances.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hey maybe they could divide the bus up in two sections. You know, separate the front of the bus from the back with a Kevlar-coated screen and put up a sign:" Muslims ride in the back"

We could do the same with pubs and other public places. Just put up a sign :" veiled people not welcome"... It's sooooo simple.

Hey maybe we could even hand out stickers or buttons......no wait, how about a little logo's that you can stitch to your burqua indicating that you are a potential threat to society.

I know I would feel a lot saver!!!

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think that driver was wrong. Actually something very weird goes in UK public transportation - some drivers decide that they do not allow guide dogs, some do not allow women in burqa - and it is all without any company policy or laws.
But the customer has full right to drive the bus, in both cases. Taking all paying people from X to Y is the purpose of bus driver job and if someone thinks that he/she would not be able to cope with certain type of people then he/she should search for another job.
What if some driver would suddenly decide that ATS posters (due to awful danger they present to society
,yup ) should not ride the bus? There are company regulations ,there are country laws. There should be no person agenda in whom to take and whom not.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The issue is that if you cover your face the CCTV will not catch you if you assault the driver. Believe it or not being an inner city bus driver is a dangerous occupation.

You just make it a legal requirement that people must show their faces at all times on public transport, government buildings and retail establishments.

Thats not discriminatory. It would apply to all equally. People would have to remove crash helmets and balaclavas equally.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
These kind of rules will not stop criminals who cover their faces to avoid detection.

They are already criminals looking to commit a crime, so they will just ignore the rules or laws on face coverings too.

Every Jeweler, Bank, and Gas Station pretty much has a rule on no motorcycle helmets, or no balaclavas.

But the criminals just wear them anyway, they're already committing robbery, what do they care for such a petty rule?

These rules are like gun laws, they do little or nothing to stop criminals, they only effect average law abiding peoples rights.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Another thing about the linked article is that the woman says she would like to educate the driver on why women wear veils..
Perhaps this woman would like a little education on why people feel threatened by those with their faces covered?

I never saw the story about the driver who wouldnt let a blind mans dog on the bus.
As for this driver getting sacked? I dont think so. Part of being a bus driver is safely transporting people from A to B, so in theory, who you let on your bus is a safty measure.
For example, you wouldnt let a man with an axe, covered in blood get on, would you?

I'm not saying this woman was a cold blooded murderer, nor am i insinuating that she was a criminal in anyway, i'm just saying that what the driver did is disputable and is in no way "Racist".

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
So if a bus driver refuses a hoodie wearer he is out of order?

They will eventually be banned too - they have to for the system to work properly.

But instead of using terrorism as an excuse, they will say too many criminals are using them.

Hoodies are banned in some shopping centers in Britain. Check out bluewater shopping centre in England. It bans people from wearing Hoodies because scum bastard pikeys cause trouble.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by george_gaz]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Thats not discriminatory. It would apply to all equally. People would have to remove crash helmets and balaclavas equally.

People do have to remove full face coverings when using gas stations and banks, because it is their policy (after being robbed I suppose), so surely this should apply equally to any face covering?

As stated, being a bus driver is a dangerous occupation, especially in cities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join