It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim woman wearing veil 'refused bus ride' in London

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Please review link.

Link

Small excerpt:

"He said, 'I am not going to take you on the bus because you two are a threat.'

"I realised it wasn't due to me getting on the bus, this may be a racist attack."

Just an example of how over-used the racism card is pulled here.
Let me just explain that the driver objected to her RELIGIOUS clothing. The last time i checked, being muslim is not a race, its a spiritual faith, So how they can call this man racist remains to be seen.

However, i would like to know if you think he had a right to refuse service?
This is not an attack on muslims so please, no bashing. This is, however, an attack on the race card and biased reporting of the bbc.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well if muslim bus drivers can refuse to transport the blind because of thier guide dogs, then yes I would say that a bus driver can refuse to transport someone who is covering thief face.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Just because Muslims are not a "race" in that Muslims can be of any color, it does not mean that discrimination against Muslims or any other religious group is okay.

The bus driver's actions seem suspect to me, but I am willing to hear him out. What was his rationale for excluding the woman? Just as White Christian English people could be a security threat, Muslim people could be as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is very current for the MSM , France , Belgium even Syria have voted for the ban but the British government spokespeople have let it be known it would be very un-British to ban the veil.

However a random poll apparently showed 67% of people in the U.K. would like it banned - sorry no links, but it was fairly widely reported.

This is either an attempt to keep the issue in the news and so debatable, or an attempt to show one ordinary individual providing a public service as racist . In the process it also gives rise to further debate but with an emphasis on the negative (read racist) side of allowing the veil to be banned by the Brits.

I would lean towards the former , as in we are being manipulated to re-consider our views be they pro or anti - this snippet of news if given a large enough platform will serve its purpose.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I don't think this is a case of discrimination, i think it had to do with the fact that he was uncertain if they were really women.

Note: Is it a sin for men to dress in drag?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Please review link.

Link

Small excerpt:

"He said, 'I am not going to take you on the bus because you two are a threat.'

"I realised it wasn't due to me getting on the bus, this may be a racist attack."

Just an example of how over-used the racism card is pulled here.
Let me just explain that the driver objected to her RELIGIOUS clothing. The last time i checked, being muslim is not a race, its a spiritual faith, So how they can call this man racist remains to be seen.

However, i would like to know if you think he had a right to refuse service?
This is not an attack on muslims so please, no bashing. This is, however, an attack on the race card and biased reporting of the bbc.

Reading the link it is 'alleged'

Qote
However Atoofa, who had her face covered by the veil, said she hoped the driver would be educated about why women wear the traditional Islamic dress, rather than face the sack.

Why do women cover up like this? it is not in the Quoran.

The bus driver..if he did...may have said the same to a youngster in a hoodie, would that young man or woman have made such a fuss? I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
In my opinion the bus driver was very wrong! some muslims may be terrorist but not all muslims are! they deserve to be treated and respected like anyone else including their culture, i dont believe anyone should have to show their face to ride a buss or do anything if they dont want to, while i dont recomend someone walking into a bank with a skymask on lol if someone chose to they should be treated no different than anyone else untill they commit an actual crime.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tahuti

So if a bus driver refuses a hoodie wearer he is out of order?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

yes he is out of order if he refuses a hoodie wearer, the hoodie wearer in question would have did nothing wrong and violated no laws and paid for their ticket.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
There are many people in society who are a threat to citizen's safety even though their faces are completely exposed.

It's very important for people to have their faces exposed because if they don't, it interferes with the facial recognition software they are using with their cameras.

That is the primary reason why, after hundreds of years, they are suddenly pushing for veils to be banned.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
So if a bus driver refuses a hoodie wearer he is out of order?

They will eventually be banned too - they have to for the system to work properly.

But instead of using terrorism as an excuse, they will say too many criminals are using them.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
There are many people in society who are a threat to citizen's safety even though their faces are completely exposed.

It's very important for people to have their faces exposed because if they don't, it interferes with the facial recognition software they are using with their cameras.

That is the primary reason why, after hundreds of years, they are suddenly pushing for veils to be banned.

Everyone is a threat everyones safety potentially but we cant give into fear and subjugate an entire culture and tell them they cant wear this or that even tho they havent commited a crime if we do then you might aswell take steak knifes and forks away from restraunts just because they are pointy and have sharp edges and could be a potential threat to other customers.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
omg this is exaggerated

Is the United Kingdom, a Western country
the driver is asking the most logical thing.
I live in central America and is the same thing. In my country if any individual (male or female) goes to either public side with the face covered (whether you use glasses, scarves, veils) becomes suspect, she/he could hide her face because it will make an assault. So, uncover the face, thats all.

this is not discrimination, is common sense.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by zaper]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zaper

"Suspect" being the key word, everyone is a suspect. but untill you actually commit a crime you should be free to dress how you like.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tahuti
reply to post by zaper

"Suspect" being the key word, everyone is a suspect. but untill you actually commit a crime you should be free to dress how you like.

i am talking of common sense...
in my country if a passenger try to take the bus wihth the face covered either driver or passengers would not allow it, because is very common the thieves who want to hide their identity under any pretext.

we are not immune from attacks of course, but this at least is a precautionary measure and discourages thieves.

IMHO its has nothing to do with discrimination for your religious beliefs.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Screw her. The face veil is a symbol that says "all men are dogs."

The whole point is that a woman's face arouses impious and unholy thoughts in men, so it must be covered at all times. So in their mentality, men are walking boners and women are inferior to men.

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam is an outdated cult and they all advocate iniquitous behavior.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zaper

Personally I am not muslim they are not my religious beliefs I'm american and I personally would never wear a mask but its an article of clothing and their religious beliefs if we take away that we take away part of a culture not to mention part of what makes them unique to this world and the more we take away their culture and their way of life it takes away the value of the entire planet because like it or not they are human and apart of us, we may not share their culture but we must accept them for who they are and how they live if we dont then we deny ourselfs and lose a bit more of humanity it would be as if telling someone they cant wear a cross or a dashiki lol or even a suit and tie

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
At the end of the day any person, whether they are white, black, brown, pink or green would be refused access to a bus if they wore a balaclava......how is this any different? a lot of Muslim's seem to play the race card way too often in my opinion. If she was in Saudi Arabia and was refused a bus ride because she is a woman would she complain and play the sexism card? I doubt it

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by w.w.w
At the end of the day any person, whether they are white, black, brown, pink or green would be refused access to a bus if they wore a balaclava

I never would, i dont judge people if they havent done anything to me or anyone else, for all i know the person under that balaclava is the most kind and generous person in the world. untill a person does something wrong they should never be judged for how they look or what they wear

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tahuti
reply to post by zaper

Personally I am not muslim they are not my religious beliefs I'm american and I personally would never wear a mask but its an article of clothing and their religious beliefs if we take away that we take away part of a culture not to mention part of what makes them unique to this world and the more we take away their culture and their way of life it takes away the value of the entire planet because like it or not they are human and apart of us, we may not share their culture but we must accept them for who they are and how they live..

I understand and i agree. But this doesnt have a religious or belief circumstance.
Also i think that the right of your individuality is questionable when it breaks in the comfort of others and their space. I speak of this in concrete;
Cover your face when you're in a country where it is not common and also causes the discomfort of others for fear that you are a potential thief well... really is not a common sense behavior and nobody is going to applaud you.

if we dont then we deny ourselfs and lose a bit more of humanity it would be as if telling someone they cant wear a cross or a dashiki lol or even a suit and tie

you are kidding not? its overreaction i guess,
the driver wasnt refused to let the woman to take the bus because she was using a cross or another special suit, it was just because she was covering her face, her identity, thats all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join