It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Hey ImaginaryReality1984... aint seen you around for a while... hope you been doing ok my friend...

Thanks for the kind words of support... always good to hear from you

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by keepithush

u2u me three things that each of your kids need. Be very specific and I will try to supply.

You will need to give me a name and address.

No agenda, just want to help you as you sound worse off than me.

Bless you ofhumandescent... this thread is starting to make me all emotional... I am seeing such nice things being said... I'm supposed to be a big strong tough guy but to be honest, I’m a big softie in the middle

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't see a person like you as a parasite. I work in retail, and the people that I consider parasites are the ones that ask if they can use their foodstamps to buy cigarettes. Or the ones who send their teenagers to the store with all of their friends to buy candy, ice cream and energy drinks. That REALLY pisses me off. And every single day that I work I have at least twenty people do this, splurging on candy, chips and junk! Then, they request a seperate transaction so that they can spend any cash they have on what the foodstamps won't cover---beer and cigarettes.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah i would like to take a dump on people who do not understand the dire situation in the world right now. MY GF has three degrees and she has been on walfare/unemployment benefit for about two years. with two kids. single mom. You just cannot understand the situation and majority of you are probably rich people who are out of touch with "poor" reality.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I guess I'm a parisite too, I get disability...... I'm a redneck and I think if you have paid your dues, f#@$k um

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

That really sucks for your girlfriend. I wonder what her two degrees are in that she can't find a stable position. I know many programs at colleges are set up so that the degrees are pretty much worthless when one considers the demand/wage/stability of the profession.
i am lucky that my profession is in health care (people always get sick/older/etc) so it is stable, but I thought of that in high school. And I beg to differ about the "rich people" you point out. It is more like "working poor." Look at any single mom that is working two minimum wage jobs to support her kid(s) and self and ask her what she thinks about someone on unemployment... I think her criticism would be very similar to the quoted OP generalizations... and that is a generalization, of course, there are always exceptions.
I worked full time while going to school full time to get a masters degree in a job I researched would be stable. I am $120K in debt and will be paying that off till I am in my 50s. My wife is in school so we make do with barely being able to put away for savings. I find it hard to feel sorry for someone that has two degrees that seem to be basically worthless that isn't willing to work at Burger King or Walmart (or some other place that is "below them") in order to continue to go to school to be educated in something that has stability.

Now please don't take offense, my point is that people in general who are educated/trained/license/etc in a profession that lose their jobs and have trouble finding another in the field have several options. Look for positions in another area, work "below yourself" at more menial positions until yours open up, or re-educate yourself while you work in a less professional position. There are always jobs out there if one looks for them. The question is, is a person willing to work a less professional job or not at all and have others help support them?
I must admit I got a little irked at the "rich" comment. Who is upper class really... I think the cutoff is like $250K USD per year.... I mean, who makes that? That must be like 5-10% of Americans. Most people that are considered "rich" are working class who live only slightly more comfortably than "poor" people and work damn hard.

By the way, my single mother worked 3 jobs (1 full time and 2 part time) while I was a child for about 6 years to support us and never once considered applying for welfare although she would have qualified... what are you willing to do? (rhetorical question)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
yup, it's crazy out there.
after working at my company (which, by the way, is making record profits)
for 31 years as a software engineer, i was told in march that i needed to start looking for a NEW CAREER!

at 53 years of age i need to start a NEW freakin CAREER!
yup, "new carears" at my age are minimum wage careers.
great.

talk about getting the shock of your life.
so, while i am still employed, i've got no idea how long that will last.

as such, i've got no problem with people collecting unemployment benefits.
companies today are behaving downright unethical, and should have to pay
their share of unemployment benefits costs.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhadder545
I guess I'm a parisite too, I get disability...... I'm a redneck and I think if you have paid your dues, f#@$k um

So why are welfare moms (queens) reduced to redundant leeches? Are you telling me every minority on welfare never worked and paid their dues?

Reagan ran a whole platform on welfare moms (queens).

Just like the majority the minority has problems with the economy too. Tell you what, you folks wouldn't even give a rat's butt if not for the Gulf Oil spill. If they were trying to pass unemployment extentions without a gulf spill it wouldn't happen. No way would YOU give the UNDERCLASS a break.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by arufon
for 31 years as a software engineer, i was told in march that i needed to start looking for a NEW CAREER!

great.

Minorities have been shocked all their lives and YOU get shocked just recently?

You guys need to quit pretending.

If no spill then you wouldn't give two cents about unemployment insurance.

UNEMPLOYMENT insurance is technically welfare. Social Security in other words. Reagan ran a whole platform on welfare kings and queens.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What type of world do you live in? A world where everything works out if you work hard, follow the law, spend wisely and vote?

I think I know what the mark of the beast will be. It will be a tattoo on the foreheads of every American which says "SUCKER"

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
S + F for you!

I am in basically the same situation here in the US and coming and reading certain peoples posts calling us "moochers" and "scumbags" etc just infuriates me. Like it's my fault I got laid off along with everybody else in this recession.

At the time of my layoff, I was approaching my 4 year anniversary with my employer, roughly 6 months before had been moved up to a Quality Control position from a General Labor position(although at the same pay rate, which I was fine with) and then bam, the whole economy tanks.

I should have seen it coming with a bunch of my friends/coworkers getting laid off small chunks at a time but I was blind as to how bad this recession was going to be.

It's now been over a year of looking for work with no end in sight. I hope things turn around soon or there really might be a revolution.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

People should save money, should live frugal, and should teach their children the same. Look up stats about how the average American is in debt... "living above their means" with credit cards, mortgages, college degrees for unstable/low salary professions.

Look at all those people who bought homes that were way too expensive for them that lead to all the foreclosures recently... a person has to think for themselves and if a mortgage depends such a tight budget that any unforeseen large expense or lay off for a couple months would make payments impossible, then don't take the mortgage! Don't buy the $300K house!

This trickles down to buying cars, TVs, carpeting, toys/games/movies, etc etc... Americans on average, live above their means. Corporations and the government are out for profit but don't write yourself off as having your, or your children, economic fate out of your hands.

If you believe the world is full of hopelessness and despair and you wouldn't teach your children how to save money, work hard, be tenacious, and would tell them not to try to succeed because big business will stick it to them in the end.... then I feel really sad for you and your children, as well as the future of the world because I think many people feel exactly the way you do.

--- I see you edited some of your comments out so this reply might not make sense, but I won't alter it.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by Jeep4x4]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean

Originally posted by arufon

great.

Minorities have been shocked all their lives and YOU get shocked just recently?

You guys need to quit pretending.

If no spill then you wouldn't give two cents about unemployment insurance.

UNEMPLOYMENT insurance is technically welfare. Social Security in other words. Reagan ran a whole platform on welfare kings and queens.

Sorry from the UK and not really understanding what you're saying?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeep4x4

So what do you say to the millions of Americans who worked hard, saved money and spent wisely, who are now on the verge of homelessness? I'd like to know what you say to those people, because despite what you might think, most of us are in that category.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I would say keep trying. Keep saving. Teach your children the same. Because as you say, many people are working to stay afloat. I just wouldn't recommend giving up... succumbing to the perceived despair in the world.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I also hope you don't believe I wear rose-colored glasses. I know many people have it hard and barely break even. Hey, if I lose my job... with the debt I am in from going to school, I know damn well sure that I would be at Walmart and the local gas station applying for two jobs (or anywhere and everywhere) to keep my family from sinking until I can find a new position in my current profession.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
reply to post by getreadyalready

What type of world do you live in? A world where everything works out if you work hard, follow the law, spend wisely and vote?

I think I know what the mark of the beast will be. It will be a tattoo on the foreheads of every American which says "SUCKER"

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Visitor2012]

Well, it has gotten folks a helluva lot farther than staying home, sucking up the public benefits and complaining about the unfair world we live in.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
Without ever having felt sorry for itself.

-- D.H. Lawrence

Life isn't fair. If it isnt the government or the greedy corporations, it would just be a bigger stronger predator. I don't think Natural Law provdes 99 weeks of assistance while you decide how you wanna find your next meal? Some of us just go and get it done, regardless of the hand we are dealt.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Well, it seems that everyone on this thread knows that they are being screwed. So, how much more should the world take before we decide to take it back? We have 6.5 billion people being ran completely over by less than a couple of million. What does that say about us?

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think people should not so much think there are no jobs out there as much to think where do they need to move to get a job. In this age, to assume anyone can get a job close by is just hoping for luck. Jobs are out there but at the cost of moving to get it. After I retired from the military I took a job in Washington and move without missing a beat, where a friend of mine decided he would not leave San Antonio after his retirement and it took a year for him to get a job and not at the pay scale he deserves.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am sort of in the same boat. I have a job for now, but my boss sometimes has power trips. If you are not his 'favorite' you get the garbage treatment. I mean you can help his ass out as many times as you can and you are still nothing to him if you are not his favorite. I sometimes feel this place of work is a prison especially with no raises and promotions. It is basically a dead end job. But so hard to find a job now a days just have to stick with it.

I personally hate those that just don't want to get a job and just leech off the government. I understand those who have been looking for 2+ years of work. Now a days it is who you know to get a job. I personally despise the ones that have rich parents and get the silver spoon fed to them and not worry about being jobless. Then mommy and daddy pays for the 50k sports car and full coverage insurance.

Hell, I am 80k in debt because of my college loans. I should of researched the industry a bit further before venturing forth further. I should of chose psychology instead. I could then go into criminal psychology. It is crappy work and little pay, but better than minimum wage...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join