It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Muckster, I work for the Job Centre.

Don't have much time to read the whole thread, unfort, I'm shattered. But you've queried SIA licenses etc. You need to speak to your Job Centre and ask about the Adviser's Discretionary Fund, it's a pot of dosh of up to £300 (£500 in exceptional circumstances) which is there to help you overcome barriers to employment. It'll help cover things like licences etc

But get your application in sharp. Because they're severely trimming the ADF budget.

Hope that might help you, apols if it's been mentioned before.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Well everyone has stories, I have three friends who are managers at the local McD's and their previous experience wasn't in the food industry. Also your friend applying to be a waitress, if she wasn't visually appealing maybe that's why she didn't get the job?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yeah me too. I'm on DSS. They said I can't work because of my cannabis habit, so they send me to the local outpatient rehab which gets a piece of my Medicaid - about $50 per session, the lab gets $75 to test my urine.

At one point I was sent to an inpatient facility for a higher level of care. That runs about $15,000 for 30 days. I left because the crappy Sysco hospital food was making me ill. For hundreds of dollars a day I at least want some friggin' detox tea, a sauna and Ibogaine.

Anyone that looks down on me had better consider that I can do the frickin, workfare McJob - I didn't make up these stupid rules that allow my Benefits card to be passed around like a joint.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
reply to post by Muckster

Muckster, I work for the Job Centre.

Don't have much time to read the whole thread, unfort, I'm shattered. But you've queried SIA licenses etc. You need to speak to your Job Centre and ask about the Adviser's Discretionary Fund, it's a pot of dosh of up to £300 (£500 in exceptional circumstances) which is there to help you overcome barriers to employment. It'll help cover things like licences etc

But get your application in sharp. Because they're severely trimming the ADF budget.

Hope that might help you, apols if it's been mentioned before.

I also haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned...

How about a career development loan..... I got one years ago when I was signing on....

www.direct.gov.uk...

www.bank.barclays.co.uk...

www.co-operativebank.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
sorry to see that your one of the fallen .. ( as i Been there ) as it hits allot of the unexpected

Now your one of the Commoners rowing an Oar listening to the Rhythm of the Drum like me ...

Hopefully you NOT One of the Type's that is having a Hard Time sacrificing & Adapting from the Life of Luxuries , on a edge of Loosing a home I can understand .. sell ? for a cheaper ... ? I to live in a Struggle as just about everyone else in the North Country of New York from an the Edge of a recession ... as the Average income is 20 to 30 grand a year from where i from and live well...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I too am another one of those parasites. I have been a Paramedic for over 20 years. I left the ambulance a couple years ago to work a the hyperbaric center doing treatments on divers and those with non-healing wounds. My Program Director boss was one of those Machevelian types who spends a little too much time wishing he was still in the military 25 yrs ago and running the center like a compartmentalized military operation. About a year ago he began adding more and more duties to my job description up to and including coming up with ideas for commercials, advertising and a host of duties that our PR people get paid 6 figures a year to do. Duties I would add, that have absolutely nothing to do with medical treatments that I was hired to do. Eventually I began to realize that our program director was using me to do his job while he was out "marketing" to local doctors at the lovely golf courses and finest restaurants of Central Fla.
I had enough and confronted my boss about the situation and requested a meeting with the Human Resources director and his supervisor so that I could have clarification on my job description. After all, the nurses came to work and did nursing duties, the secretaries came in and did secretarial work, but somehow my job was 10% medical and 90% "other duties assigned by my supervisor". The discussion got a little heated on both sides and ended with a "I'll see what I can set up". The next day I came into work, the supervisor gave me stack of his paperwork from the past 4 days that he needed entered into the computer so he would be golden with his supervisor. I did the work as assigned, went to lunch, and when I returned, I was called into his office and fired. This was a week before Christmas as well. I tried to set up an exit interview with the HR dept so I could air my grievences. I was never given that exit interview and ended up on unemployment. 6 months I had to live on it. I had to sell off so many important items, guitars, kayak, telescope, etc just to make ends meet. I had to move out of my house as well. Unemployment was only 270 a week, a little over 800 a month, in this economy.
Along with the financial toll, there was the overwhelming depression, suicidal, as well as homocidal thoughts. This POS ruined the holidays for my whole family, ruined my life, caused me to have to basically live like an 18 y/o bohemian, all to save his own butt. I will never forget what this sorry excuse for a man did to me and mine.
And as if all this wasn't bad enough, I constantly had to listen to every other (usually conservative) loudmouth go on about us lazy folks on unemployment. Talk about violent impulses. You want to just kick these folks in the mouth when you hear them going on and on with their snarkly little comments. I spent the last 23 years trying to do good in my community, help others, and save lives, and this is what I got in return for that.
I'm now back to work. It was one of the hardest experiences of my life and I have nothing but empathy for anyone out of work right now and struggling to find work and feed their families on the small amount of money the unemployment gives you.
When I do hear those loudmouths now, I am going to be more inclined to confront them and call them out on it. I sometimes think these are the same kinds of losers that are so afraid of everyone realizing what losers they are, that they talk all tough and act like bullies to make up for it. And of course it somehow always comes back to the liberal/conservative thing as well with these guys.
Well hate to burst that bubble, but I didn't vote for Obama. My write in was for the good Doctor. And he's Republican. So I guess that argument doesnt hold alot of water.
To all those who are still out of work and on unemployment, you have some people cheering you on in the background. Some of us are sending you good vibes and hoping for good fortune to find you and your families. It is an agonizing situation to be in and the emotional and psychological pain is at times unbearable. But please persevere. You are not a loser, you are not worthless, you are not lazy if you are out looking for work. Alot of places aren;t hiring now, and alot of them won;t even consider you if you're not currently employed (still trying to wrap my brain around that one). It is a sad state of affairs those with authority have gotten us into. Alot of times they try to blame it on the ones at the bottom of the food chain, but some of us know better. And to those heartless, cold, calous, know it all neanderthals with their words of wisdom. I hope someday your family and friends see you exposed for the miserable losers you really are, then I hope you live a long long long life.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

But you did take up cannabis - something that incidentally, killed a great mate of mine who thought he was mentally strong but obvioulsy couldnt cope with it or life - a failure on either count...

You are either simply stirring or you deserve sweet f* alll!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

Treatment for cannabis really? Good lord man just be an ass for a couple days and stop smoking it dude! I had smoked for extended periods, yes staying altered all day until sleeping for the night. The worst I ever had if I ran out were some senseless spats with my old lady. It only takes a couple days to be done with it. I also quit smoking cigs and man that was like a "billion" times more difficult, literally. I suspect you just don’t want to stop in which case, DONT! You are your own master!

If anyone had tried to send me for cannabis treatment I would have laughed in their face.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Originally posted by Stewie
I understand it is not easy, but it is not impossible either. You have to want out bad enough.

"Freedom is another word for nothing left to lose" Janis Joplin.

I really don't think it's always about what's easiest when it comes to working people. I've known too many hard workers to make that generalization. I understand what you're saying it's just some are defeated by debt before they can even think about a plan. Residual debt from a previous life can make it impossible. It's what keeps some of the unemployed in limbo.

I'm not talking about people who got in debt for a McMansion/BMW. I'm talking about normal working people who bought a new car to drive to their jobs in cities where safety inspections don't allow people to drive the POS vehicles we drive down here in the sticks. You want to talk about housing we paid $20K for a fixer upper. If you live in a city I doubt a $100k would get you much except in debt. It's those people who tried to buy as cheaply as they could but still had to take on debt because of the outrageous cost of living to work/working to live.

Taking on the expense of moving in the hopes of finding a minimum wage job simply isn't an option for many. Not only would their debt follow them they would now have the added expense of relocating and starting over from scratch, all on minimum wage.

The best thing that happened for us was not getting too embedded in the system in the first place. Although our employment/dreams were gone starting over on minimum wage was hard but doable. Having done it I would say considering the amount of debt the average person carries today it would be impossible. Most would go to jail right off the bat for non-payment of child support. We carried no baggage over from our more affluent previous life. We slipped into poverty with no strings attached.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by TXTriker

Well everyone has stories, I have three friends who are managers at the local McD's and their previous experience wasn't in the food industry. Also your friend applying to be a waitress, if she wasn't visually appealing maybe that's why she didn't get the job?

That's a little tacky but maybe their reason. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't call her ugly but she certainly isn't model material. However, considering some of the ones I've seen working around here she should come off like Jennifer Anniston in comparison.

Like I said, can't answer for all the fast food places, just the ones here and my own experience.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Thanks!

When younger I took far morre 'potent things - alone - (And after reading Aldous Huxley) such as mescalin and learned so much - but one day I knew I didn't need such things. But my mate really did die after pot...

But guess what -I'm sitting here at the keyboard at 60, still smoking...Malboro ( No mods this isn't an advert!)

But this is taxed so it's ok? Then then we are taxed for medical health becasue...we smoke....

Wish I had your willpower!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Many will use cannabis as a form of self medication, and in fact it is the worst thing many with anxiety related disorders could do to themselves. Chances are your friend was not functional and doomed without proper treatment.

Many with depressive illnesses (PTSD in particular) purport that cannabis is their only social outlet and would see themselves doomed without it. For example a person who has no one due to years of mental illness or isolation may find a wealth of what they need by heading down to the local swimming hole or hang out and approach folks (Those who look the part.) and offer to get them high I for one would think this is much more desirable than hanging out at the Wal-Mart or local convenience store. The biggest problem with that is that where you find cannabis you also find other harder drugs.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have a construction company. I hired someone last week. I contacted a few people who where out of work. They said they would work for me if it was under the table as they were collecting. So they would rather sit around and collect than have a job.
At a recent AA meeting I go to one, of the guys was out of work for a while. When they cut off the unemployment extension, he started to look for work and found a job pretty quickly from one of the guys at the AA meeting. These people think its not a big deal to do this. I'm not sure where I stand on this either. Just a few example of what I came across.

Some people need it but I would say 80% are just sucking off the teet.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

You got it! My personal (and not necessarliy right or even nearly right) belief is if you aren't strong enough (mentally) in the first place, all it will do is damage you. My mate was't strong enough.

But really we seemed to have move off topic - mae culpa!

Yea just get out there and work...! How much are they payijng you to enjoy your lifestyle?

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02
I have a construction company. I hired someone last week. I contacted a few people who where out of work. They said they would work for me if it was under the table as they were collecting. So they would rather sit around and collect than have a job.
At a recent AA meeting I go to one, of the guys was out of work for a while. When they cut off the unemployment extension, he started to look for work and found a job pretty quickly from one of the guys at the AA meeting. These people think its not a big deal to do this. I'm not sure where I stand on this either. Just a few example of what I came across.

This is the more common scenario in most of these extended benefits.

Yes there are those special cases, like the paramedic above. I am not against unemployment or any other social program. I am only against the extension or long-term application of those programs.

The people that aggressively look for work, because they have no teet to depend on, usually find that work in short order.

The people that linger on benefits for months and years, do so because they have the benefits. Put a solid end date on the benefits, and watch them find those "unattainable" jobs just before their benefits run out!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave
reply to post by Kalki11

But you did take up cannabis - something that incidentally, killed a great mate of mine

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but your friend died from using cannabis? How? I only ask because it is pretty much impossible to die from a cannabis overdose. I think I heard that it would take the equilavent of something like 2000 joints to overdoes on it. Also enough of the "pot leads to harder drugs" argument. By that argument you could say booze leads to it as well seeing how most people start with that and/or cigarettes then onto pot. I know an abundance of people who smoke pot, have for a very long time, and have never used anything harder than the naturally occuring herb, marijuana. I say herb because I don't view it as a drug. It grows, then is harvested and then smoked or ingested. Drugs IMO are created by man, mixtures of different chemicals/substances synthesized into pills, powders, and elixirs. Cannabis grows in the ground and isn't mixed or changed into something else before consumption. And if you wanna get even more historical about it, there is evidence that Jesus may have been a user as well seeing how that herb was the main ingredient in chrism/kanesh bosm or somethng like that. The oil that was widely used during those times for annoiting and healing. It would also explain Jesus healing the epileptic by annointing him with oil. The cannabis rich oil would absorb through his skin and stop his seizure. But that is all another thread, I digress.
My original inquiry was, how did your friend die from pot?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And the vast majority of jobs opening are centered for women, clarical, small office positions, nursing etc .

Sorry haven't read the whole thread and don't know if anyone else has pulled you up for this, but I beg your pardon - jobs for women!!! What century did you just crawl out of? I have an Hons degree and Post Grad Diploma in IT, yet you seem to reckon I'm only worth small office positions and nursing! I suppose at least I can spell clerical! (sorry I know we shouldn't pull up for spelling, grammar and typos, but your quote annoyed me!)

But back on topic, to the OP, really don't give up hope. The people that work in the jobcentre are mostly people who have no skills themselves and a lot of them are also at the mercy of short term contracts. You've got to tell them what you want THEM to do for YOU! I have worked all my life and have brought up my (now teenage daughter) on my own from a baby after separating and subsequently divorcing my ex-husband, without a penny from the state (or my ex, not one penny has he given me and my daughter will be 16 next week!). Even when they first brought in working tax credits, I was over the limit for assistance by £35 per month (and I didn't earn that much, not enough to actually save any after rent etc - and of course the silly house price boom that sent costs soaring and priced me on a single salary out of the market!)

I eventually worked in a government job, but even back in 2007 I could see the writing on the wall that my job would be unsustainable in the long term (and I mainly worked with a bunch of tossers and wanted out) and after a small windfall from an inheritance decided to go back to Uni to do my MSc (only completed the PgD - never wrote the dissertation lol) but I survived on my little nest egg and some freelance work, then unfortunately my health had a downturn and I couldn't do the freelance stuff anymore. Like you, I survived off my savings til they had gone and as I had to attend a dermatology clinic every day, I was forced to go and "sign on" Of course I wasn't "ill enough" to qualify for the "sit on yer backside - do nothing" money (wasn't an alcoholic/junkie/ half a dozen kids to different fathers etc) and fortunately am not permanently disabled (though I do know a lot of physically disabled people who do work) But due to the previous job that I had, I knew all about what was available and demanded that they give me access to what I needed (e.g. a professional career development company) and I bided my time, til my health improved to the point that I was physically able to get back out on the job market and whilst during that time I applied for a few jobs that I was over qualified for and as such had no chance of getting (remember an employer isn't going to take you on in those circumstances as they know you will leave as soon as something better comes up and it's then going to cost them money again to hire someone else) to satisfy their criteria that I should look for any suitable work and then started looking seriously and within two weeks had 2 interview and was offered both jobs (ironically one was with one of the "back to work" agencies as an employment adviser) but the job I took although only 30 hours a week, and is a fixed term contract til next March, had a very good hourly rate and was exactly suited to what I wanted.

I also used that time to think about what I really wanted, because if you're going for something that you don't really want, that shows, so whilst there are some who may say that you shouldn't hold out for a job in the field and at the level you've been used to, it makes sense to apply for something that you are passionate about as that will show in your application and subsequent interview and you WILL get hired!

But I also agree with other posters that they will pay for licensees and training etc, but just make sure that's what you want, don't go looking for work with a company that you don't really want to do, just because you feel you should.

Sorry if this seems like a ramble, it's Friday night and I've had a couple of drinks, will probably be more able to explain what I mean tomorrow, but I had to comment on the post I found some pages back about woman's work lol but the bottom line is that I don't think for one minute that you're a scrounger, I've seen enough of them to know what they are and as you seem to have the right attitude I just know that something will come up for you soon.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by destination now]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02

You've got a few different types of parasites. You've got the temporary lampreys like myself and the OP who sponge because they have to, and it is as short-term as we have the power to allow it. Another type of bloodsucker is teh guy you describe. The typical lazy high school dropout who got drunk rather than go to class would rather do nothing than work. He works only when he HAS to. The rest of us are lapping government milk only when we HAVE to.

The habitual sponges are the problem.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Just saw your post and I hope I did not cause any offence by saying job centre staff are unskilled, obviously many of the staff who work there have many skills, not necessarily in the field of employment advisers, heck I was offered a job as one and have no experience and know that there are many people working there who have loads of qualifications, but as you work there yourself you will probably be aware that there are many there also who can be "unhelpful" and who don't know a heck of a lot! (assume you're not as you are an ATS'er lol)

And at the same time I imagine it must be very disheartening to see those who just abuse the system and get everything when there are people like the OP who just want to support themselves and are in their current predicament through no fault of their own!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join