It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Things you didn't know about the brain.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e09760e7207.jpg[/atsimg]

Not sure how to fix the picture to have the scroll bar so here's the link.

@ Phantom Extra Limb Syndrome.

Wow, is all I can say. Our brain has over 100,000 miles worth of blood vessels, I just find that incredible.

Hope you guys enjoy

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Oozii]
edit on 12-8-2018 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
ya the blood vessel thing is insane, number 15 is something that I can attest to. sleep paralysis. yay here we go LOL

and its true they still are learning about the brain so imagine what else they'll discover

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Phantom Extra Limb syndrome may actually be slightly inaccurate...

It is usually incurred by amputees...the brain still recalls a functional limb where there is no longer one available. It's just an aspect of the memory.

Which is actually kind of interesting...

There is also a reverse of this noted within those who receive organ transplants...one account I recall was an organ receiver who took on food cravings that weren't normal in their experience. Turns out that the food craving was a staple in the life of the person who ended up having to donate the organ...

Human physiology...not just the brain...is a fascinating thing...

Edit for grammar.

[edit on Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:24:09 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oops, Guess I kinda jumped the gun on this thread. Sorry bout that frozen.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

It is usually incurred by amputees...the brain still recalls a functional limb where there is no longer one available. It's just an aspect of the memory.

There is also a reverse of this noted within those who receive organ transplants...one account I recall was an organ receiver who took on food cravings that weren't normal in their experience. Turns out that the food craving was a staple in the life of the person who ended up having to donate the organ...

Edit for grammar.

Wow thats incredible. Reminds me of the thread I read here at ATS of someone recieving a donated lung, but so happen it was a smokers' lung.

Which sadly the person ended up passing because of it. Im not sure if it's possible, allowed, or even true.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
no need for apoligies lol, maybe this thread will get more discussion than the other one

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Edit for grammar.

Which organ was it?

We usually crave food that has vitamins etc that we're not getting enough of, so if it was an organ that needed more than usual, it would make sense that they would also crave the same food as long as the signal went up to HQ saying 'crave this'!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Same here for the Sleep Paralysis, it was a very, erm... Interesting experience for me....
On a separate note, I knew Numbers : 2, 3, 12, and 15, and I suppose I should thank my brain for knowing these things.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Star and flag great thread!

I want to give my brain a big hug for being awesome! Lets all hug our brains

Makes me wish I had learned another language when I was a kid! The eating fish once a week I do that, also a recent study showed that drinking coffee has a similar effect.

Simply explained brain video;

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Star and flag great thread!

I want to give my brain a big hug for being awesome! Lets all hug our brains

Makes me wish I had learned another language when I was a kid! The eating fish once a week I do that, also a recent study showed that drinking coffee has a similar effect.

Simply explained brain video;

thank you for posting that video, it raises a question, what is the purpose of the somatosensory association part of the brain, googling turns up only that it has to do with touch senses, is that it?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
An interesting note, Einstein's brain was actually wired slightly different than a normal person's, having to do with the ratio of glial cells to neurons! I don't really know or understand what that means but here's the link:

http:/www.newhorizons.org...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Cool great post thanks! Here maybe also something most people are not so conscious of in everyday life with regard to the brain....

[edit on 25-7-2010 by bubbabuddha]

top topics

join