It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Consider Lowering the ATS Chat 200 Post Requirement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Let me explain....

ATS chat is a great place to hang out and chat with fellow ATS members.

The only problem is that there are usually not that many people on. I feel it is in due part to the 200 post requirement that is currently in effect.

Can you please consider lowering the post requirment? thank you.

-SolarE

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Don't worry, not much to look forward to.

ATS chat isn't all that wonderful. A year ago it was a ghost town. I think more people are using it now.

You probably will find 3 people in there on average. (srsly)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Could also be because the bot is a little sensitive at times, no? Dang thing keeps kicking me for I-know-not-what.

It's true though. I don't see how 200 posts can possibly somehow ensure proper behavior. There was an interesting little session in there today that highlighted precisely that point.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sticky

That's a good point! Maybe it would be more fun if more people were there. By the time you have 200 posts (which you will scarcely realize, I assure you), you aren't thinking about chat's existence. Might be nice to let people be there when they are still exploring ATS.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

No way!!!!!!!!!

Leave it as it is.
If the new members get into that ghost town too soon we may loose them...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
They did lower it though (I can't remember what to but it may have been like 50 or 100 posts) but then they had to put it back up to 200 posts again because (as far as I know) more people were coming in and just breaking the t&c's.

There was a big deal about chat being closed for a while when it happened and I think around 8 members were banned because of this.

ETA: Here, this post explains.

Sorry, but I doubt it'll ever be moved down from 200 posts again.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sticky
Don't worry, not much to look forward to.

ATS chat isn't all that wonderful. A year ago it was a ghost town. I think more people are using it now.

You probably will find 3 people in there on average. (srsly)

I disagree!
We have much more than '3'...it depends on the times you go on.

We range from 0 to 9 at a time to 36.

I love Chat. There is no place as wonderful for me to get to know other people and have idle chat...well except for BTS.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Chat is fantastic, even if I haven't been on a lot recently...

It's a good place to meet new members, have a chat, and make new friends as well as discuss the Live shows and whatevers going on in the board at the minute.

Unfortunately, the post level won't be lowered, as it was lowered when they updated the chat, and people broke a lot of t&c's and people had to be banned, and it made a right mess, anyway.

In theory, people with more than 200 posts will be less likely to act like idiots and be more valuable to the board as the trolls generally get weeded out before they can hit that mark... Which keeps chat clean, and keeps it running and avoids the bans which had to happen last time. It doesn't necessarily work, but it works better than if some of the new trolls are let in.

On the plus side for you, 200 isn't really that many, and, all of us had to wait that long back with old chat... So, trust me, you can manage it

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The typical number of users in chat is on average 1.5% of the total number logged in. Take in account that this personal observation and not "hard statistics". So if you see that 520 are logged in at the bottom of the main forums page, chances are that there are 7 or 8 people in chat on average.

Special events such as ATS Live on Saturdays and the Euro Show on Wednesdays can skew that number, but 1.5% seems to be a good working number. And that is both before and after the 200 post restriction.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
now that I finally could join the chat, I'm now IP / member name banned for saying the "b-word" last night, is this for real?
Hopefully I'll be able to rejoin for ATS Live tomorrow night...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I seemed to have made so many posts so quickly that I have way more then the requirement to join and I didn't even know it existed...

I guess I should check it out!

Are the chat rooms usually good natured? or is there the same friction as on the rest of the board? What do people usually chat about?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
they were pretty interesting the last few days, and it was up over 21 people - but.. there was like 4 different conversations going on at the same time...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sum1one

Classic. I got chat banned for 24 hours last night for using that exact same word!!! It was totally taken out of context by the censor bot. haahhaa.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Chat entry is a min of 100 posts now.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join