It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find ‘monster’ star using Very Large Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

LONDON — The most massive star ever, which is up to 20 million times brighter than the Sun, has been discovered using the Very Large Telescope in Chile, scientists in Britain said Wednesday.

The star, named R136a1, is thought to have started off with a mass of up to 320 times that of the Sun and the new discovery has doubled the previously accepted limit of solar mass.

Source

It's almost unimaginable to truly comprehend the concept of size when we speak about space objects , never mind wrapping our heads around distances .

I just love to hear about any new space discovery , I wonder do such sun's have supper massive planets orbiting them ?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
That is nothing compared to the largest start found to date.
www.universetoday.com...

I space terms like BIG , LARGE, and distance take on a whole new meaning that most people can not wrap their mind around. The numbers are just too large.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I do not think that monster stars, or any stars should be allowed to use very large telescopes, or any telescopes.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I do not think that monster stars, or any stars should be allowed to very large telescopes, or any telescopes.

I must have very large eyes for I can see Betelgeuse with them, if that isn't a monster star than I don't know what one is...hehe

If it was in the place of our sun then even mars would be deep in side of it… lol

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
awesome thread hope to hear about more discoveries like this

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I wonder how much bigger a star would have to be before turning into a black hole.?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
What a lead in title.

I just came here to see how they knew the star was using a very large telescope!!!

I think it is so cool that they continue to find these places that we can never get to.

I think about the possibility of creatures on that star looking back at us.

And thinking,"just observe them do not contact them,they are still a primitive warring planet".

Good link.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Does this mean the stars are watching us too? Since when do stars have telescopes? What does this mean, are stars aliens? I'm seriously confused here!? What does this mean?

Great find

[edit on 25-7-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumdragon
I wonder how much bigger a star would have to be before turning into a black hole.?

I was wondering the same thing and the answer was a shock. You can form a black hole at 1 solar mass. Our sun could form a black hole. The only thing that keeps that from happing is the fact that is is active. All that out ward energy keeps it from falling into it self and forming a black hole. So the bigger the star the more energy needed to keep it from falling into its self.

new topics

top topics

join