It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain scan may help career choice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Brain scans may be able to help people choose their careers, scientists claim.
Researchers used a magnetic resonance imaging scanner to study the brains of 40 volunteers seeking career guidance.

They found structure patterns that correlated with different kinds of ability, such as speed of reasoning, numerical skills, spatial awareness, and memory, as well as general intelligence.

The results matched test scores from a battery of traditional mental tests.

Soon you won't be able to choose, your choices will be cut down, because ofcurse the private industries will use these result in choosing who to hire, and where.

There was a movie, exactly the same, instead of brain scan, it was genetics.

That being said, discrimination started building up, therefore only certain people, with certain genes had a chance of becoming a pilot, or an astranaut, or etc.

If you gene tells you, you should work on a desk, the corporations will make sure you work on a desk, because they are taking care of the best interests of the corporation therefore logical.

Logic goes against our will sometimes, should we still follow logic in those circumstances logical people?

What are your thought>?
www.google.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I believe you are correct in your assumptions.

The current state of the economy leaves employers with little room for error when it comes to hiring and firing; both incur costs.

From a purely financial standpoint, it makes sense to hire individuals with the specific traits inherent that they are looking for.

Is it right, ethically? Not one bit.
Does it make sense to the bottom line? Absolutely.

The movie you are referring to is "Gattica", I believe.

And consider that during the communist rule of the Soviet Union, the state chose the profession of it's workers based on the genetics of the parents... IE, if your parents were blue collar workers, you'd be shipped off to a technical school to learn a trade like welding. If they were scientists, you'd be sent to university.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GuiltyByDesign

Yes that's the one ..

Thanks for reminding me of the movie, might watch it again due to this new discovery.

It had the futuristic feeling to it, but then again we are advancing towards the future in much faster pace than before.

I have got my degree in Information Technology, but I have to update my knowledge every year, because technology is advancing so fast lol.

Darn.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is quite interesting, ill have to check that movie out since I've never seen it.

I think if applied right this could be very effective. Sure there is room for discrimination, but the information didn't look a whole lot much more than what can be derived from tests.
As long as it doesn't turn into something where at a young age you're scanned and then you follow down the path to a career determined for you. Living as robots isn't much better than being replaced by them.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'd love to see what a brain scan says about me, but I'd hate for that same brain scan to limit my choices in life. Same with genetics. I think we're all given a blueprint, but making original choices choices and challenging ourselves can broaden our horizons.

I think the concept of pre-destination was big with the original Puritans, right? I think we've outgrown that by now.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
I'd love to see what a brain scan says about me, but I'd hate for that same brain scan to limit my choices in life. Same with genetics. I think we're all given a blueprint, but making original choices choices and challenging ourselves can broaden our horizons.

I think the concept of pre-destination was big with the original Puritans, right? I think we've outgrown that by now.

I don't think anyone is predestined based on our genetics eetc.

There is more to the term predestined, it is more universal, we will only know that much, if we knew the whole universe upside down.

What this will give us, is just mere hints, and I can bet the corporations would love to have such a hint to make it easier for them to make their decisions.

The big corporate management is already making less, and lesser decisions, they want it to be lesser, by such scientific advancements doing the thinking for them.

That is where the discrimination will arise.

I hate lazy people, it makes their brain handicapped. Hence the brain is a muscle, if you don't use it, it will become weak and useless, the more you use it, the more you see its potential.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Cool! Sign me up! Finally an answer to my prayers! This current job is a dead end and it's VERY boring. If only I knew what I am good at doing as a career, I'm sure I'd be much happier.

This technology reminds me of `Futurama` a televised cartoon show, in which a career chip is implanted into each citizen for the rest of theirs lives. `Fry` was a delivery boy thousands of years ago. When he awoke from his cryogenic state years later, the computer said his career will be a delivery boy.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Back, back with ye ! (Makes cross with fingers and backs up...)
No way a brain "scan" can determine the complex human personality , the wonderful capacity for learning, the marvelous ability to adapt and change, the amazing resilience, the terrific diversity of skills and talents !
To add to all that, with a future career span of 54 years, imaging the amount of growth and the changes one will go through during one's working life !
The 16-year-old clerk with a bicycle and no goals except dating may become the 69-year-old CEO who is a licensed pilot and Grandfather to 10 and runs a valuable hospital or scientific enterprise. Two completely different people.

top topics

join