It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Atleast 35 Iraqis Killed Outside Army Base In Explosion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
As hundreds of young unemployed Iraqi men queued at an army base serving as a recruitment centre for the new Iraqi army,a bomb exploded killing atleast 35 and injuring around 50.

At least 25 people have been killed in a car bomb attack at an Iraqi army recruitment centre in Baghdad.
The car, packed with shells, blew up at the gates of the centre, housed in the city's old airport.
BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

CNN

[edit on 17-6-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-19-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
fox news has an article up now, it seems there were no americans anywhere near there, just iraqis.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Just an observation: I just saw the "Breaking News" on CNN and heard Christiane Amanpour's report. Both my husband and I noted that she seemed shaken and was not reacting in her usual cool reportial manner. In fact, she stated, that she was "scared". IMHO things are really bad in Iraq and she expects them to get worse. She's a very calm reporter and, to see her, so shaken, makes me wonder what else may lie in store.
joey

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It baffles me to see that they can still get a bomb-laden car that close to a group of people at an army base, after all these incidents. It doesn't say a lot for their security methods.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
no it doesnt, you would think that there would be many checkpoints on the roads leading to the compound.

maybe the way to help fix the problem is to not allow and vehicles within 100Meters of the linups etc, make everyone walk and have them all searched, they would probably still attack but it would be less.

ahhhh dont worry i just realised there is a problem with that theory of mine, the line up to be searched.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
So what, in the name of Allah, had these Iraqi men, doing nothing but signing up for the Iraqi army, done to warrant being on the jihad list?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
probably nothing, remember now the terrorists/insurgents/militants/whatever theyre called this week are attacking anything that might stabalise Iraq, they can/do/will attack anything that looks like it could be in the best interests of the country.

these attacks are carried out by extreemists remember, they will stop at nothing to achieve their goal even if it means "colateral damage" to their own people.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
So what, in the name of Allah, had these Iraqi men, doing nothing but signing up for the Iraqi army, done to warrant being on the jihad list?

They represent the tools of a U.S controled puppet government in the eyes of those that seek an isolationist Pan-Islamic region.

Though I personally wouldn't agree with the historical comparison it might be compared to Vichy France in the eyes of the French Resistance.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Originally posted by Valhall

They represent the tools of a U.S controled puppet government in the eyes of those that seek an isolationist Pan-Islamic region.

how so?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Bombings such as this one would only seem to have the effect of turning everyday Iraqis away from the extremists viewpoint. Its counterproductive to maim and kill members of a society that you desire to support your actions. If I were an Iraqi incidents like this would have me supporting the new government - not the extremists.

I also think this incident points towards foreign involvment, would locals do something like this?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausconspiracies
no it doesnt, you would think that there would be many checkpoints on the roads leading to the compound.

maybe the way to help fix the problem is to not allow and vehicles within 100Meters of the linups etc, make everyone walk and have them all searched, they would probably still attack but it would be less.

ahhhh dont worry i just realised there is a problem with that theory of mine, the line up to be searched.

No, your idea would work. Make all vehicles enter, one at a time, through a serpentine route of jersey barriers. Stop at the entrance and have the vehicles and individuals searched by bomb-sniffing dogs. The individuals would proceed, one at a time, into a reinforced phone-booth type of enclosure where they would strip down in front of closed-circuit cameras. One individual would drive the vehicle to park it in a field 100 yards away.

The only drawback would be the occasional loss of a pooch.

top topics

join