It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cut Social Security? Are the Democrats Crazy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

We recognize the necessity of a program to cut the mid- and long-term federal deficit but the imperative requirement now, and the surest course to balance the budget over time, is to restore a full measure of economic activity. As in the 1930s, the economy is suffering a sharp decline in aggregate demand and loss of business confidence. Long experience shows that monetary policy may not be enough, particularly in deep slumps, as Keynes noted.

The urgent need is for government to replace the lost purchasing power of the unemployed and their families and to employ other tax-cut and spending programs to boost demand. Making deficit reduction the first target, without addressing the chronic underlying deficiency of demand, is exactly the error of the 1930s. It will prolong the great recession, harm the social cohesion of the country, and continue inflicting unnecessary hardship on millions of Americans.

www.opednews.com...

This is how change occurs.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

It is introduced as an idea - ATS Thread - Cut Social Security to fund the war

Source

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think it was Bohner who was talking of cutting SS and raising the age to 70. Its pretty cool that we like to skirt the truth around here.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
I think it was Bohner who was talking of cutting SS and raising the age to 70. Its pretty cool that we like to skirt the truth around here.

www.cbsnews.com...

I can see where I confused the issues here. I took the thread from March where Bohner made these comments. My intent was to show that the idea of cutting SS was socialized and met resistance. Now they are introdcuing the idea again and it will meet less resistance.

Eventually it will meet no resistance and POOF...no mas!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is a source within your source that may clear it up a bit:

BOSTON – The heads of President Barack Obama's national debt commission painted a gloomy picture Sunday as the United States struggles to get its spending under control.

Republican Alan Simpson and Democrat Erskine Bowles told a meeting of the National Governors Association that everything needs to be considered — including curtailing popular tax breaks, such as the home mortgage deduction, and instituting a financial trigger mechanism for gaining Medicare coverage.

The nation's total federal debt next year is expected to exceed $14 trillion — about $47,000 for every U.S. resident.

"This debt is like a cancer," Bowles said in a sober presentation nonetheless lightened by humorous asides between him and Simpson. "It is truly going to destroy the country from within."

Simpson said the entirety of the nation's current discretionary spending is consumed by the Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security programs. Source

It's about time this garbage ends. If we're all really too damn stupid to save for our retirement then let us all starve homeless.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
it bothers me to see politicians so [snip] up
in their values, that they place the military budget
above retirees and the disabled.

They are making the cuts in the WRONG [snip] place.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Cut my Social Security and I might as well just call it a day!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well, it doesn't matter which political spectrum a politician might rise from. But social security benefits were meant originally for those whose spouses/source of income had past on & had no one to support their needs.

Social Security has since then turned into a giant ponzi scheme which robs honest hard working Americans of their hard earned money as if taxes were already not doing that.

They have already proposed that Individuals born after 1970 will not see Social Security after the age of 70. I for one would like to stop paying to into social security and use that money to build my retirement account w/ annual interest tax free, after all my income is Taxed Enough Already.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Your right they do need to cut elsewhere, let's take all their invested money from their accounts and 401k's and their payoffs and their salaries and I can betcha this whole defiecit would be paid if we included all the very wealthiest of elites.

This would only be the money they have been stealing from the american taxpayers for decades. Take allllll the money back the elite stole from ussssss to pay off this deficit in which they created, not us.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Cut my Social Security and I might as well just call it a day!

you know
that may have been their plan all along

people who do not contribute to the GDP
no longer deserve to live.

that is NOT my opinion
I'm just pointing out a way the GOV
might perceive it.

It's the law of the jungle:
you don't produce .... you don't eat
no in betweens

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have paid into social security all of my life. I didn't mind because it was supposed to be paid back to me when I hit 65. As millions of baby boomers (1946-1964) become eligable for social security, the government is scampering about trying to figure how to get out of paying. I imagine that in eight years when I qualify, there will no longer be a social security and I will be out of luck.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This:

The urgent need is for government to replace the lost purchasing power of the unemployed and their families and to employ other tax-cut and spending programs to boost demand. Making deficit reduction the first target, without addressing the chronic underlying deficiency of demand, is exactly the error of the 1930s. It will prolong the great recession, harm the social cohesion of the country, and continue inflicting unnecessary hardship on millions of Americans.

Is perhaps the most idiotic statement I have ever heard in the history of my 34 years of existence on this planet.

Allow me to translate:

"The urgent need is for government to replace the lost purchasing power of the unemployed and their families and to employ other tax-cut and spending programs to boost demand. "

translation:
"Because the people are broke, we must spend for them by running up a gigantic credit card debt in their name, then taxing them to pay for it.

By blowing all of their savings on worthless government make-work projects, we will restart the economy."

Making deficit reduction the first target, without addressing the chronic underlying deficiency of demand, is exactly the error of the 1930s.

translation:
"By not allowing us to run up a super-epic national debt, the economy will implode and languish in a great depression"

Now, does anyone believe the economy will be saved if the government wastes another 20 trillion on bullcrap programs?

IF you do, you are an idiot.

A super-raging maximum stupid idiot of epic monster-truck proportions.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm gonna try to make this as simple as I can.

When the middle and lower class workers in this country can only afford bills and food because of the stagnant wages not keeping up with economic growth, they CAN'T buy stuff.

or the long version:

For the last thirty years the wealthy have seen their wealth increase exponentially, while the workers in this country have had their pay remain flat or in some years take a dive. Meanwhile, gas goes up, food goes up, socks go up, toothpaste goes up, etc. After decades of this pattern the middle and lower classes have found their selves unable to buy electronics, take vacations, invest, build retirement, and besides basics necessities, can't 'consume'.

Restarting the economy is going to have to start with middle and lower class incomes increasing to allow them to consume. As long as they are barely squeaking by, there is no hope. The wealthy with all their (our) money will never be able to buy enough to keep this economy going. Oh yea, and we need to tax the f'ing $h!t out of them.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yes, I agree, most likely their plan. And to raise the age to 70 to even get SS, a lot of people don't even make it to 70. I am afraid my children will never receive their SS and they are paying in big time right now, barely make ends meet.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If these thugs decide to cut off our Social Security benefits, I suggest
the first cuts to be made should be the politicians extravagent retirement
plan. A plan they get for the rest of their lives. BS. They get their money
cut off first and then ours. OK Washington? Do you hear us?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

.....the nation's current discretionary spending is consumed by the Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security programs.

What utter bull#!!! I agree with poster who stated we need to lower Congress members salaries! Quit giving them the best damn healthcare - paid for by me & you - and all other 'perks' that seem to come with the job. When their term is over......so are the monetary benefits that came with the job. No more free healthcare & outrageous salaries & perks. When the job is done & they move on, it should be just like with any one of us changing jobs!!

Also......they spend all of our money on stupid things that do not seem to benefit our entire country of taxpayers. All black op things should be stopped also!! Until we get our # together again. But way too many things that can be cut - besides leaving the elderly & disabled out in the cold!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

Here is my take on Social Security, they already take enough from us in taxes and social security is just their Black-OP piggy bank.

Why give them money which they are suppose to give us back anyway?

I would take care of my own money much more than these hacks who never earned a real living themselves, just on my back and the other taxpayers.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Understand all that. But my mom has been paying into this since the 1940's and deserves to get her -Snip- $$ back!! As far as I go?? I must quote from another post....

When the middle and lower class workers in this country can only afford bills and food because of the stagnant wages not keeping up with economic growth, they CAN'T buy stuff.

This is me at the moment and I do not see it getting any better any time soon.....they have got alot of us in a position that we cannot afford healthcare let alone retirement!!!!

PROFANITY
Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:18:31 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
looking in the wrong direction and administering what is right is not a solution either. is it right that you are entitled to more social security or greater benefits at retirement because you are/were a state employee or a "new american immigrant"?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Champagne
reply to post by prionace glauca

Understand all that. But my mom has been paying into this since the 1940's and deserves to get her -Snip- $$ back!! As far as I go?? I must quote from another post....

This is me at the moment and I do not see it getting any better any time soon.....they have got alot of us in a position that we cannot afford healthcare let alone retirement!!!!

PROFANITY
Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join