It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel to restrict white phosphorus use in future wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Israel to restrict white phosphorus use in future wars

www.bbc.co.uk

The Israeli military will restrict its use of artillery shells containing white phosphorus, it has told the UN.

The controversial weapons cause deadly burns and rights groups say they are banned from use in civilian areas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think they "the U.N" should ban the use of this terrible weapon...it serves no use in modern CQB warfare

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i see it as, ok UN were "not" going to use these. wink wink. but hey maybe not. smile for the cameras.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by monguzi

There use of the word "restrict" is unusual...means they can use this stuff and just say...yeah it's restricted but required in this situation...I agree with you

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

exactly, and who is the restricting authority? probably the israelis, which to means this is just a measure their taking to make themselves look better.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Seems so generous of them.

I bet the middle east will rest easier now.

To be honest, I'd prefer white phosphorus over their zionist mind control programs.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

zionist mind control programs

Please feel free to U2U me some information on this

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
11 Jan 2009
various news agencies accused Israel of using illegal white phosphorus shells in Gaza. The Israeli military, which refuses to comment on the types of munitions it is using in the conflict, rejected the accusations.

"There is no use of white phosphorus," a spokeswoman said. "Everything we use is according to international law."

The Times reports tell-tale smoke above Gaza. An Israeli military official says:

We categorically deny the use of white phosphorus.

January 15, 2009
UN headquarters in Gaza hit by Israeli 'white phosphorus' shells.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Ban Ki Moon, the UN Secretary-General said that Ehud Barak, the Israeli Defence Minister, had told him that it was "a grave mistake".

The attack was on UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) headquarters.

This comes after the red cross accusations of war crimes against Israel. They said that they were prevented from assisting children who were sheltering next to their dead parent bodies and collecting bodies of children as young as 5 and running them over in the streets with tanks.

24 Jan 2009
Israel admits using white phosphorous in attacks on Gaza

The Times on January 5, when it was strenuously denied by the army. Now, in the face of mounting evidence and international outcry, Israel has been forced to backtrack on that initial denial.

"Yes, phosphorus was used... but not in any illegal manner" : Yigal Palmor, Foreign Ministry Spokesman.

Monday, 1 February 2010
Israel has revealed it has disciplined two senior army officers for using white phosphorus shells during an offensive in Gaza.

'Repeated use'

TV pictures showed chunks of brightly burning phosphorus, streaming white smoke, landing in the courtyard of a UN compound in Beit Lahiya.

So... it went from:

"There is no use of white phosphorus..."

to

"Yes, phosphorus was used... but not in any illegal manner" : Yigal Palmor, Foreign Ministry Spokesman.

to

Israel has disciplined two senior army officers for the repeated use of white phosphorus.

In the name of humanity

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How nice of them.

Second line got killed by the first round of white phosphorus.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pentothal

Nice post

I agree with the Dr in this video

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How nice of Israel to limit it's use of WP.
After all everybody knows only innocent children, hospital patients, and farm animals, deserve to have it rained down on their pointy little heads.
Why waste the stuff on hardened military targets that it has no effect on.
By limiting it to burning houses and soft defenceless targets, it will certainly stretch the limited supplies much further...
Yay go Israel...

By the way the OP is tacit admission that they have used it which is a war crime.
Blaming it on "rogue officers" is like Bush sending torturers who followed his orders to jail.

BTW
Israel gets this stuff from the US where it is made.

All of the white phosphorus shells Human Rights Watch found in Gaza are from the same lot, manufactured in the United States and marked: THS89D112-003 155MM M825E1. THS89D is the manufacturer identification code denoting that the shells and contents were produced in April 1989 by Thiokol Aerospace, which operated the Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant at the time; 112-003 are the interfix and sequence numbers, which denote that several lots of the same ammunition were being produced simultaneously; 155mm stands for the caliber of the artillery shell. M825E1 is the US military designation for an older remanufactured M825 white phosphorus shell that has been brought up to the current M825A1 standard.[5]
Additionally, Reuters news agency photographed an IDF artillery unit in Israel near Gaza handling M825A1 projectiles on January 4, 2009 with the lot number PB-91J011-002A, indicating that these shells were produced in the United States at the Pine Bluff Arsenal in September 1991

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The Israeli massacre of Gazans at the end of 2008 was the subject that brought me to ATS.

At least the IDF are finally admitting to the use of white phosphorus as a weapon, now we just need those wielding any kind of power over Israel to call the IDF out on their previous lies and punish them for it. The people who have been maimed or killed from this horrible substance deserve justice.

I just don't see it happening though.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Goathief]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Same way the U.S. found a loophole in the code to "restrict" its use in Fallujah? Using it as "tracers" uh huh. That kind of restrict?

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh, geez. These folks just get away with anything. Why they do, I haven't a clue. First they said they weren't using White Phosphorous, then you see the charred bodies from Gaza where the white phosphorous charred them to the bone.
Now they're using White Phosphorous, but they pretty please promise to "restrict" their use of it. Ha!

They don't even try to make global world self destruction look like a mistake, they try to make it look intentional!

top topics

join