It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan withdrawal possible from 2011, says Cameron

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Afghanistan withdrawal possible from 2011, says Cameron

www.bbc.co.uk

The withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan could start as early as next year, David Cameron has said.

US president Barack Obama has talked about beginning the pull-out of American soldiers from July 2011.

The prime minister told the BBC the same could be expected of UK forces "based on conditions on the ground".

But former head of the Army Gen Sir Mike Jackson said he was "wary" about setting dates, and a plan to transfer power "does not equal reality".

Mr Cameron was speaking in Washington, where he discussed the Afghan war with President Obama.

A major conference
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Well all i have to say is that its about time, but the fact is how many times have we heard this before. Our troops need to come home but have we done enough in afganistan or do we need to stay longer. I hold no faith in the article but it is worth sharing just to hear everyone elses opinion on this.

What do you think about this. Will it happen or not.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
there aren't even that many British troops in Afghan. Granted neither of us should be there but send my American boys home!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It wouldn't be the first time a country has tried to occupy and win over Afghanistan. We tried at the beginning of last century, the Russians a few decades ago and this most recent venture hasn't worked. Me thinks we should really learn our history lessons. There is too much innocent blood being spilt on all sides.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02
there aren't even that many British troops in Afghan. Granted neither of us should be there but send my American boys home!!!

Errr there are THOUSANDS of British troops there fighting in the hardest parts because you guys are crap.. Not my words but one of your generals and my experience of working alongside US troops many times.. But I echoe your sentiments, bring them all home..

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Crap is rather a hash word. I agree that US and UK troops are trained in totally different ways and I tend, again, to agree that UK infantry training is superior to that of the US. I have served alongside our US allies many times in my 20 years service and I do admit that we are more professional. However, the US beates us hands down with equipment, numbers and general infrastructure. We tend to, as we always have, make do with what we are given.

What I would say though is, put the US and UK fighting forces together and we make a formidable foe. Despite our rocky start as seperate nations I do think that we have a very special relationship together.

But I do echo you sentiments. I have two boys in the Army now, one about to deploy there. Let's hope they come home soon.

May your God bless them all and keep them safe.

S&F Brethren All.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I was British Army too. And though my comments may sound bias tey are true none te less..

I will pray for your guys, as I do for all those serving both British and American and those who actually chew the same dirt...

I hope they come home safe and have sound minds too...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

heh.

Yeah, withdrawal!

Leave the U.S. to deal with it all.

As a U.S.citizen, I'm not complaining to other countries. Yeah, get out while you can!

Now, when can I opt out of this crap?

Without giving up my past actions in Iraq, and being callled a NON-American and NOT not a patriot?

I guess I can't.

Meanwhile, you want oil? Then pay for it in currency, not in blood and the deaths of innocent people! And for sure, not with the lives of soldiers who believe they are doing something great for humanity! And country! Gag and puke!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
well were not exactly winning are we? most military analysts agree that the afghan campaign isn't winnable (i think history backs that up) the Taliban or whoever were meant to be fighting out there come back stronger every year. and the isaf death toll grows every summer. how long before the people of britain say enough is enough you will bring are troops home and you'll do it now! were getting are arses handed to us. bring our boys home!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Okay. Maybe you are correct or not. I don't know. I'm not there now.
The Brits muster some great and terrible soldiers, for sure.

Don't underestimate, however, the U.S. It makes up for quality of troops with numbers. and tells them sll they are the best. And equips them fairly well as individual soldiers, And they believe the hype. And that makes them strong and brave, and tough.

However, one on one with some warriors I have met, well, the U.S. looses.

But numbers and equipment helps, for sure!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Thank you for your thoughts. With history repeating itself in Afganistan, it is obviously not a campaign that can be won. It never has been and never will be. Compounded with the fact that the enemy troops can blend in with the local populous, makes it more difficult as our troops are fighting an invisible foe. Just as a point of not for the other posters, it is both US and UK policy to start withdrawal in 2011, so the US will not be left to slug it out alone.

War, for whatever reason, is a dirty affair, no one comes out unscathed. I pray that all combatants can lay their weapons down and go home to their loved ones.

Watching a mother's son die in front of your eyes is the worst thing that can ever be witnessed. Let the killing stop. Let both sides just go home.

S&F Brethren All

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
What morons ever thought this war was "winnable" to begin with? No war is winnable because there are no winners in war.

If the Americans do not respond, then their fate will be that of the Soviets who fled from Afghanistan to deal with their military defeat, political breakup, ideological downfall, and economic bankruptcy.

I wonder if those words are what made some people so stubborn about this "war: to begin with. Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Interesting spin on the matter. Are you suggesting that this present occupation is a way of the West saying we can do what the Soviets could not?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
In my opinion foreign troops should never have been there in the first place fighting for democracy and freedom while big business finally swooped in and salivated over a trillion dollars worth of riches locked up in the Afghan earth.

I respect most of the troops for doing tough work most certainly but I never respected their mission because I never believed the truth of their mission was ever about finding Osama, rebuilding a shattered state and reducing the filth that comes from the Afghan poppy fields. I certainly never held any respect for those white shirted desk jockeys who are always quick to put a hand to the heart, lay a wreath and say “thank you for your sacrifice.”

After our troops are home I am going to hope that perhaps we might see a better form of diplomacy where sitting down at a table and talking about a problem is not war by mouth and a stepping stone to a shooting war. I am going to pretend that when governments disagree on fundamental issues like terror and security (and oil) that they might actually take a leaf out of a free thinker’s book and see at last that war never solves a thing. War is a breeder of bitterness that lays the foundations for violence in the future when a son grows up to avenge his father and so on.

The only people in my view who benefit in war are the low life vultures who manufacture and sell weapons. There is never a win because someone always has to pay and usually it is a tax payer and the poor (snip) who just had himself scattered all over the countryside for not being on the “winning team.”

Britain is the second largest exporter of death in the world and makes this one wonder if all this relentless talk of patriotic duty, love of the flag and country and sacrifice for freedom was thought up in an advertising house like Saatchi and Saatchi to be subverted to a sickly cynical stance based on that wonderful and noble thing called money.

Often I get a feeling that Patriotic duty and fighting for freedom is the new
advertisement for death, the more that get suckered the more weapons systems get sold and the more the evolution of design and manufacture progresses so win, win if you are a scum bag (who has no knowledge of what is truly important in life). Sometimes I think that war is just a showroom and if true then someone is due for a serious karmic beating when karma finally gets around to them.

Britain is the worlds biggest arms exporter

What is war in the context of this war on terror for instance? For me It is something sick and putrid that is making fools out of us all and what’s more we get to pay through the nose for it while being led around by that nose and if we are really lucky we even get to sacrifice a loved one for peace, democracy and big business interests.

Welcome to Earth, take a seat, we will lie to you, milk you like a cow and then blow you to hades shortly and all in that order – have a nice day!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Not quite. I'm saying that some people might think that if we leave. "the terrorists" win. That was a quote from Osama bin Laden's letter. Some might look at that and not want it to be a correct prediction from him.

Thing is, if they're looking at it that way? If they're letting something like that rule their emotions and influence their actions and decisions? Then the terrorists may have already won.

In other words, I wonder how much of this was about ego.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Oh, I think ego was a measure in this sad episode. Also, the minerals, which I am sure they knew about long ago. Normalls, it is about commerce and industrial gains. Look at the wars regarding the East Idia Company, Spice Wars and so on. Much is to do with money and greed. To quote a line from the film Troy, Odessius to Achillies, "War is old men talking and young men dying". and again Agamenmon "Empires are built on war".

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The Canadian troops are gone in 2011, too.

So it is likely that this will be wound down so it will becomes a non-issue for the 2012 election cycle.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It is sad to see these ancient Greek-illuminated lands crumble into ruin and waste. Kandahar (Alexander) is one the cities founded during this time, when Alexander the Great built an empire.

Sad also is it watch the Buddhist influences being systematically erased from the land and the hearts of the people. I recall with sadness when the muslims destroyed the huge statues of Buddha over a decade ago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15839616ee9c.jpg[/atsimg]

I say we leave the region. Let them sink back into obscurity and meanness. For unless we are willing to truly identify and fight the enemy, there will never be victory. We are not yet willing to do that for fear of offending religious sensibilities.

Bring our men home from this wasteland.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Originally posted by Reign02

Errr there are THOUSANDS of British troops there fighting in the hardest parts because you guys are crap.. Not my words but one of your generals and my experience of working alongside US troops many times.. But I echoe your sentiments, bring them all home..

Actually we both have pretty equal training.... Yea maybe the Brits are more professional but it is two different types of training. And as for us being "crap" I would like to see anyone else mess with us. Our tactics are supreme (the Brits use them cause we train them)
Now maybe we didn't train you specifically but all your guidlines for combat are from Americans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join