It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask an idiot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey,
I like ATS, but i don't havy many threads where i could respond. That's either because the other members are too smart and fast, or too fast and stupid.
So I decided to open my own thread where you are supposed to ask me philosophical questions. I will try to answer them as good as possible, and it might totally ruin my reputation, because I hate artificial morale dillemas and i pity the philosophers who ruined their day with it.
Also, I'm not quite sure if this is OK with the board-rules to open such a thread, but I might see soon enough.

Summary: Ask a question, I will quote you and reply. The Asnwer might be very short, because your question might be unfitting. Sorry, you will find out.

Amen!

/edit: Disclaimer: I won't insult your beliefs, but my criticism might sound harsh. Be aware.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by incarnating]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by incarnating

Simple question, why is faith a good thing?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Can you prove you are a bigger idiot than me?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Simple question, why is faith a good thing?

Interesting, but complex. That can be seen from several points of view, as an example, the psychological one: If people believe in things, they are more likely to come true, because every idea needs the mind of a true believer to come true eventually.
But Faith can be several things.

1) Faith in things that aren't proven to exist - Depending on what it is, it can do good or bad. As an example, faith in god helps people get over harsh situations in life. Fear of ghosts, however, might keep you from entering a dark cave and finding a box full of gold.
2) Faith in things to come true - Will I screw up on that date tomorrow?
If you think so, it's quite likely. At least that's what I think to be true. Law of attraction maybe, or just an illusion and the ongoing thought that you did something wrong.
2.1) Faith in yourself - This is basically what the above example described, but if you have Faith in yourself, nothing can touch you. You shouldn't be arrogant, or isolated from other people's opinions. First, question yourself. Then, come to a point. If you feel doubt, think again. But if you're self-confident, many things will upon up to you just like that. People will start to believe in you, too. Another psychological effect.

I'm sorry, I think I sound like I'm explaining belief with my own beliefs, which is funny yet a bit sad. It is a very complex topic and while there is proof that it has certain psychological effects, I cannot proof quantum mechanics are involved, which would be awesome.

To summarize it you could just say, belief is the magic tool of creation residing in your fantasy. To let things come true, or be true, belief is important.
What I haven't so much discussed is the bad side of the topic, like deception, but as long as you can always test your belief in a logical way, it should be fine. Self questioning is an important aspect.

I have learned something, I hope you have, too. But always remember I might be talking bs. Just decide for yourself.
Amen

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Can you prove you are a bigger idiot than me?

Being an Idiot is relative and not even a scale.

Originally posted by jokei
Assuming there is an omnipotent and/or omniscient god/creator, could he make a boner so big that he couldn't fit it in his pooper?

While I assume those are only metasyntactic variables, I want to let you know that this question is nice, but completely illogical because you cannot compare to variables ranging to infinity. But I'm quite sure he could give himself the size of a human and ... Here I stop my post, you're example is gross.

Amen.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Why is ATS becoming inundated with GLP type posts !!

This isn't a Philosophy and Metaphysics thread, this is BTS banter.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Why are people conditioned to act as if they are better than the next man?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Why are people conditioned to act as if they are better than the next man?

That is their ego at work. I'm quite sure that in ancient times, if ATS existed, people with the wittiest posts would get the most potential partners.
Hey, I basically opened this thread for two reasons:
1) My Ego at work
2) Boredom

However, since your question is based on what is going on in this thread, i want to remark: Stop asking questions for self gratification and start asking questions out of interest.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ok.

Seeing as we are evolving from Monkeys, are bald people genetically superior to hairy people?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
Ok.

Seeing as we are evolving from Monkeys, are bald people genetically superior to hairy people?

Our quest is not to get away from the monkeys, so no. Also genetical superiority is dependent on environmental factors.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Are the above sentences true or false?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Are the above sentences true or false?

The first sentence is false and the second sentence is true.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If "pro" is the antonym of "con," is "Congress" the opposite of "progress?"

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What is the meaning of life ?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That's right, where progress is needed, a congress is held XD
nice one

Originally posted by fleetlord
What is the meaning of life ?

Okay, asking an idiot a question, THE question, people have asked themselves for thousands of years, now that's harsh. Shame on you.
Anyways, here's what I've come up with:
Supposing nobody intended to do anything and life just spawned like that:
Find your own purpose.
Supposing aliens created us for some reason:
Follow that purpose and live like a slave.

Why do you ask for meaning in life, when meaning would not exist without life?
Life is meaning. Life is purpose.
Which one?
How the # am I supposed to know. I'm not you.

Got existencial crisis now? Try helping other people.
Amen. And now I'm on vacation!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Do you think governments are overpricing things through taxation as a method of control?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Frickin magnets, how do they work??

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hello,

Why did I just do that?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
Do you think governments are overpricing things through taxation as a method of control?

I have no involvement in political stuff, but if I ruled the world as a dictator, I'd like to use that method. But I'm no evil guy... yet.

Originally posted by Kronik98
Frickin magnets, how do they work??

I can only make assumptions that make me sound stupid! D:
But I'd love to know, so you open a new thread. Now.

Originally posted by Signals
Hello,

Why did I just do that?

There can be several reasons, depending on your character, or personality or mood.
Maybe you were bored.
Maybe you want me to think.
Maybe you want me to waste my lifetime. (oh sh..)
Maybe you think you're incredibly witty.
Maybe you are incredibly witty but I didn't notice. (blam!)

Or maybe you want to know.

Ameeeeen

top topics

join