It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist Sokratis Giolias gunned down in Greece

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Journalist Sokratis Giolias gunned down in Greece

www.bbc.co.uk

A Greek investigative journalist has been shot dead outside his home in Athens in an attack linked by police to leftist militants.

Sokratis Giolias, 37, was shot more than 15 times in the Athens neighbourhood of Ilioupoli.

According to colleagues, he had been about to publish the results of an investigation into corruption.

Police said ballistics tests tied the killers' guns to previous attacks by the Sect of Revolutionaries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don’t know if any of you will find this interesting, it seems to me that conspiracies in non English speaking countries get very little attention on ATS, but I’ll shear my thoughts.

According to this article we are meant to believe that a group of revolutionaries assassinated a journalist who was investigating corruption. Now i could be wrong but i would imagine that this journalist would be pretty low down on the revolutionary’s hit list so what is going on. Maybe he was about expose corruption in the Greek government that lead to their financial crisis. That however is pure speculation on my part but please feel free to elaborate on what i have said or add your own thoughts

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
we exchanged a few mails months ago..

RIP Sokrati my friend. You'll be missed. Today they killed our voice not you.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Sorry to hear about your loss, also sorry if what i said appeared to be insensitive in anyway. I have done some more research and everything i am hearing about says he was a fantastic investigative journalist.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by Hellas

Sorry to hear about your loss, also sorry if what i said appeared to be insensitive in anyway. I have done some more research and everything i am hearing about says he was a fantastic investigative journalist.

He was a very polite man, very thankful and one of the most threatened journalist in my country. He knew many important people and had very sensitive informations. His work was admired and today almost every politician expressed his or her condolences.

It was a cowardly attack and those responsible will pay sooner or later. I personally don't believe that it was that group that allegedly claimed the kill. Giolias was a rebel! He stood against everything that is corrupt in our country and spoke openly about it. (So much for people stepping forward don't get in trouble..)

His work will be continued because thank God we have many brave journalists who don't fear but love their country.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Apparently Giolias had made some poweful enemies in his efforts to provide open and independant journalism.

His news blog, which is immensely popular, was responsible for revealing that Minister Angela Gerekou's husband owed €5.5million in taxes. This resulted in her resignation.

www.neurope.eu...

His murder has conveniently been immediately linked to left-wing terrorists.

I suspect there is far more to this and maybe the start of a crackdown in Greece.

[edit on 19/7/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Breaking News thread already in progress for some time:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As mentioned, there is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join