It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on California Proposition 19

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Many of my fellow Californians already know what this proposition is all about. I'm curious of what are your supporting this bill or against it. There's a neat site with all the reason's you should favor this proposition. I'm going to favor this bill and vote it in! Who's with me?

# Reduce racially biased arrests

# Create between 60,000 and 110,000 new jobs in California

# Generate between $1.2 billion and $1.4 billion annually in direct tax on cannabis sales

# Expand California's economy by $16 billion to $23 billion annually

# Reduce crime

# Reduce violence

# Free law enforcement resources to work on property crime and violent crime

# Reduce environmental damage to California's public lands from illegal grow operations

# Reduce prison costs and prison overcrowding

# Reduce drug cartel revenue, 70% of which comes from cannabis

# Reduce police corruption

# Improve the relationship between police and the communities they serve

# Reduce alcohol's cost to society by allowing adults to choose a safer alternative

Here's the website.
yes19.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This sound very good, too good to be true. You're showing all the positive's this proposition has, where are the cons?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by VicMT09

I don't know about any cons. Most likely there are none of them. Unless your a drug dealer and you can't sell all your marijuana for the price of last year. I heard pounds of pot is already getting cheaper because all the drug bust in California.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Honestly I dont see how someone could be against legalizing weed, unless they have never smoked it because in that case they would literally not know what theyre talking about. If this passes it will be a step in the right direction, but there is a long way to go before Ill be satisfied.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

It seems like a lie to me, all of this and more would have taken place if they would just legalize a certain green technology.
The fact that they want to introduce new jobs and programs seems like it will be a cluster of Epic proportions.
1 law, make it legal and then there would be much less arrests i'm sure.
Plus they would sell their poisonous food via the walk in counters.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

At the same time, however, the very act of legalizing pot would drive down the price of high-grade marijuana from about $375 per ounce to as little as $38 per ounce, Pacula said. That would depress the expected tax revenue, unless demand goes up astronomically.

SFGATE

Here's a very real possibility for the taxing and regulating of this plant: The price of 1 oz. dropping to $38 would be of epic detriment to the cartels smuggling marijuana across the border (to mainly Southern California). It's their cash crop and their power will be severely limited when they have to compete against the better larger companies. If the law passes, they'll also be limited to selling to one group, people under the age of 21.
Boy, if they think they got a bad image now...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
From Bill Hicks,

Not only do I think it should be legal, I think it should be mandatory... you're in a line of traffic and start beeping the car horn ,beeeeeeeeeeeeep, a cop comes over and goes 'here smoke this, its the law!'

Now we just have to wait for the MODS to close this thread cause the ATS sponsers don't like this sort of stuff, you know, telling the truth about the d-word, and this is site is supposed to deny ignorance

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

Okay now. I see you need some of the "Green Stuff".
2ndline.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

personally i'm not waiting for the paper work to catch up with the majority of what people have already spoken on.

lawmakers are just stalling while they figure out how to make this fullfil their idealised priorities and figure out how to make this situation live up to their opportunities.

how many laws seperate me from natural phenomenon?
hell of a conditioning engine our society has, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

are you trying to get me to break the T$C by telling the truth about certain 'controversial' issues lol,

Peace

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

You are confusing me and I'm also hungry.
2ndline

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
It makes perfect sense to me to decriminalize or legalize Pot , for the benefits are both financial and social .
I come from a country [ England ] that is suffering both financially and socially from a legally available dangerous drug , Alcohol , a drug that turns normal sane , rational people into violent animals , a drug that kills thousand of people every year and costs the tax payer tens of Millions of Pounds in police and health service cost .
I really do believe that if Cannabis was legalized here people would have a choice of how they relax of an evening and Alcohol consumption would fall ,and socially and financially we as a country would be better off .
Hopefully Calli will vote yes and start a chain reaction through America and so have a knock on effect through to Europe .

Let common sense prevail

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm all for it except one problem (and believe me I'm a huge legalize marijuana proponent)... this won't stop any drug cartels. We shut them off from marijuana and they'll start trying to pump more meth into California. So for me it's a matter of do I want a bunch of crazy crackheads living amongst me and believe me, they say the violence is bad now and that's just for trying to get weed in. What do you think will happen when they start trying to pump more meth in? Meth is extremely addictive and very deadly, not to mention, it'll make tons of more money for them than any weed ever could. I know you guys want us to vote yes on it but seriously, just think about it. The only solution is to decriminalize ALL drugs. No, nothing bad would happen, just look at Portugal and the success they've had. Or the better solution would be to just bring our freckin troops home and place them along the border.

Edit: All the bad things that would supposedly happen is just more fear mongering.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by conspiracy88]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

I don't see how they are going to "push" any more meth into CA than there already is and that meth isn't carried across the border en masse like marijuana. You can't flood the meth market without an exponential increase in new users. Where would you find the same amount of users that you loose when a product becomes legal?
Also the majority is cooked up locally pretty much anywhere and a large meth lab operation doesn't take up the same amount of space as a large scale grow operation.
Plus with the lost profits from the marijuana smuggling, any drugs coming from across the border are only going to get more expensive, less pure and more toxic since the Cartels are going to try and regain their losses.
I'm not saying that the Cartels are going to disappear completely but their power will wane from the legalization of a plant.

[edit on 7/19/2010 by mistafaz]

top topics

join