It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bartering. Can your skill help you survive?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Ex_MislTech and No Regrets Ever,

Nice list there Ex_MislTech. I can see why you would want to stash or cache/position some of it ahead of time.

Tend to agree with alot of the posters..skills and the knowledge of putting them to use will be paramount. Social skills as well combined with these practical knowledge skills.

Daytomann,

Women on the other hand, no matter how "un-worldy" one may be..A woman will always have the one thing that will always have value to barter with..without being crude, I think you can all guess that skillset.

This is really dumb and ignorant. You never offer a knowledgeable man such a high maintenance item as a skill ..and particularly something for which there will be lots of competition to give it away before the next woman tries to barter hers. Such a woman with only that skill set is " High Maintenance" and not worth my other skills. These are not the same or even equitable skills. Only a man can be this naturally stupid..for women are not.
A woman and men both need real skills...not sex. In hard times it will become quickly apparent that anyone only with sex as a skill will be high maintenance and an extreme liability.
As I am often prone to stating...give a man a little sports, cheerleaders,and alcohol and his brain wave activity flat lines.

In a SHTF situation..lots of high maintenance women will be willing to give it away for a few more minutes of easy living for themselves and their children with someone else assuming the risks.
The sad truth about it today is that there are just as many high maintenance males out here raised primarily by women, television, movies, and peer group drivel. And they too will be high maintenance. Knowledgeable women are not looking to underwrite these high maintenance types with "any": of their skills and particularly as a career move..good times or bad.
Some of the posters have expressed these phenomenon in different ways...but they have expressed the same.

No regrets ever, Interesting posts you have made here..and on the womans survival thread.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm kinda your jack of all trades,master of none.
But when I have people coming out of the wood work asking me to fix this,help them with that,
I think I have that covered.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have that skill!
They are driving me crazy,but they do pay me in beer!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'm a tall guy (6'3") and am a semi-decent hand with a gun (mostly due to lack of practice, give me 50 rounds and I'll be in the 8 ring 90% of the time, give me a couple hundred and we'll see) and I have a little experience hunting, though not much, I can also do a lot of heavy lifting and a little construction (mabey not to code but hey) I can fish, crab, clam, and (not expertly) grow plants. I am also a paranoid SOB, hate rule breaker (my rules more than anything else) and never, even now, feel truely secure in any location, unless I am armed and someone who I trust (not many of those people) is watching my back. Given a little time I could probably set up a crude forge, as well as make a crude, alternater based wind turbine. I am very good with fires and know several ways to filter water, without tech. I also can set up primitive palisades (not amazing, but it will keep bigger critters out, or at least slow them down, this includes humans) I am a fair hand at storytelling, and can even do some simple bicycle repair. I am trying to stock up on ammunition but at the moment I have none (college student, broke).

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Excellent topic...

I can barter:

1. Manual Labor (everyone can)
2. Managerial Expertise (I have an MBA, and there is always a need to manage projects, even if that project is building an outpost, etc.)
3. Basic Carpentry Skills
4. Basic Mechanical Skills
5. Basic First Aid Skills
6. Basic Electrical Skills
7. Computer Skills (should any of them work)
8. Cooking Skills (I'm a decent cook)
9. Artistic Skills (can draw and paint)
10. Basic Chemical Skills

Some other things that may come in handy.
1. I can drive just about anything, car, truck, manual/stick, motorcycle, boat...though never learned to fly (would love to though)....a Semi would be hard, but have done other large trucks.
2. I can ride a horse.
3. I can shoot straight with either a firearm or a bow (hunted with both)
4. I can build using natural materials (I was a consummate "fort builder" as a kid)
5. I'm really good at hiding, anywhere, quickly (long history of playing these kinds of games as a kid, so know how to spot good spots quickly).
6. I can run short distances very fast (though forget a long run)
7. I can swim.
8. I know how to read maps, use a compass.
9. I can start a fire using rudimentary materials.
10. I know a lot of things...useless sometimes, but in a SHTF scenario, could be useful.
11. I can fish.
12. I can do some basic gardening.
13. I'm well-versed in lots of different games and gaming (such as RPGs and boardgames, etc.). May sound useless, but in the absence of power, I think we'd see these things as the video games of the apocalypse.

particularly something for which there will be lots of competition to give it away before the next woman tries to barter hers. Such a woman with only that skill set is " High Maintenance" and not worth my other skills.

Still, I'd wager we'd see the "oldest profession" soar in a SHTF scenario...at least once some order is restored. Until then, people are more likely to simply TAKE that commodity, in the absence of law... Sad, but true, no doubt.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I'm kinda your jack of all trades,master of none.
But when I have people coming out of the wood work asking me to fix this,help them with that,
I think I have that covered.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have that skill!
They are driving me crazy,but they do pay me in beer!

Also good at manipulating people,not a proud thing,but very useful when SHTF.
Isn't that what a good leader does?
Just with my experience with hurricanes,and getting the neighbors organizied,
to clear roads,give help to those in need,sharing.I think I will be ok,just
having experience a few disasters.Better then FEMA,thats for sure.
And definitetly throwing one hell of a party to cheer the spirits.Thats what gets people moving.
Been through plenty of hurricane parties.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Daytomann,

Women on the other hand, no matter how "un-worldy" one may be..A woman will always have the one thing that will always have value to barter with..without being crude, I think you can all guess that skillset.

This is really dumb and ignorant. You never offer a knowledgeable man such a high maintenance item as a skill ..and particularly something for which there will be lots of competition to give it away before the next woman tries to barter hers. Such a woman with only that skill set is " High Maintenance" and not worth my other skills. These are not the same or even equitable skills. Only a man can be this naturally stupid..for women are not.
A woman and men both need real skills...not sex. In hard times it will become quickly apparent that anyone only with sex as a skill will be high maintenance and an extreme liability.
As I am often prone to stating...give a man a little sports, cheerleaders,and alcohol and his brain wave activity flat lines.

In a SHTF situation..lots of high maintenance women will be willing to give it away for a few more minutes of easy living for themselves and their children with someone else assuming the risks.
The sad truth about it today is that there are just as many high maintenance males out here raised primarily by women, television, movies, and peer group drivel. And they too will be high maintenance. Knowledgeable women are not looking to underwrite these high maintenance types with "any": of their skills and particularly as a career move..good times or bad.
Some of the posters have expressed these phenomenon in different ways...but they have expressed the same.

No regrets ever, Interesting posts you have made here..and on the womans survival thread.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom

Well, since you mention dumb & ignorant...
What I'm talking about..(not the obvious use of sex for intentional prostitution in return for food and goods, which I never actually eluded to)....is the basic human need for companionship both in the physical AND emotional sense. Women can offer both. It can be very valuable in a true SHTF situation. It can provide a woman who may not have any "practical skills" (to begin with) with long term protection, food, etc, etc.... all in return for a little companionship and a little pitching in for the good of the cause..which would be survival. Its a natural, ancient skillset that will be highly sought after, especially as people start to look for some type of "normalcy" after some very traumatic times. Personally, if I found myself alone, I'd be willing to take on the "risk" as you call it, for the good companionship of a woman....as long as she can decently pull her weight...FWIW, I dont think too many women would get too far with a "high maintenance" attitude.

Bottom line..if youre a man with no "practical skills"...youre likely toast (So men, brush up on your skillz LOL). If youre a woman with no "practical skills"...you still realistically have a chance.

I guess I look at it as more of a positive than a negative. Its all in your perspective. Good luck to all!
edit on 7-3-2011 by Daytomann because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by Daytomann because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Daytomann

Daytomann,

Let me get back to you on this one...I have to see how Oprah would handle this. Perhapsed check with Sylvia Brown. No...no...let me take a lie detector test or a DNA test to see if I am the father.

Can you wait until after American Idol before I get back with you ..and Dancing with the Stars too??

Wait!!?? Do I have time to ask Judge Judy??? How about asking the real ...whatevers of whatever county is on whatever channel??? Well.....whatever!!!

I have alot of marketable skills as well as alot of knowledge/experience.

No...no...no..I've got it now...lets ask Charlie Sheen!!! Yeah...thats what I'll do!!! Do you have that much time???

Thanks,
Orangetom

edit on 8-3-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Wow, even as a dude, have to say you seem pretty sexist sitting over there. People can learn. In a true SHTF situation, high maintence people would quickily learn that they have to pull their weight, even if it is only a little bit. And even practitioners of the oldest profession could learn other usefull skills that are low work, making life easier for those doing the heavy lifting (not just literally)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack

Wow, even as a dude, have to say you seem pretty sexist sitting over there. People can learn. In a true SHTF situation, high maintence people would quickily learn that they have to pull their weight, even if it is only a little bit. And even practitioners of the oldest profession could learn other usefull skills that are low work, making life easier for those doing the heavy lifting (not just literally)

:Like alot of people here JD Black..are you attempting to debate the point that people with real useful skills in a SHTF situation have a higher obligation and duty to make themselves disposable and expendable for those who do not have useful skill levels??? That they socially owe someone else ...the underdogs...their skills, their expense, and their comfort levels..their labors..rest and peace in their lives..or they are sexist if they don't do this by default??

If you are debating that it is a good thing that someone is in fact disposable and expendable if they have skills and others don't..you are in fact sexist.

And yet this happens every day in good times that one group of peoples who have skills and are capable of taking RISKS ..is in fact considered more expendable and disposable for others. No one calls this sexist but it is in fact exactly what it is. Discrimination by sex...ie...sexist. It is so common and done by default that almost no one sees or calls it for what it is.
I've met a good number of women and women with children who expect socially that the purpose of a male is to pull their wagon while they are playing social roles and default settings..ie..girl stuff ..all the while throwing more stuff in the wagon for the ignorant male to pull by social constructs. You don't think they will be looking for a guy this dumb in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI?? As if sleeping with them is a fair and equitable trade? Even more than equitable?? Hardly.
Only a man can be this naturally stupid.

Suggest strongly that you rethink what it is that you are not thinking or even capable of thinking.
The male with skills and talent is not automatically disposable and expendable for someone else's comfort such that they get to ride more free..without RISK while others take risk for their comfort levels.

The truth of the matter is that in a SHTF situation or TEOTWAWKI.. you learn quickly or you die. Male and female. What possible place can sexism have in this ..only public school can dumb a person down in good times that they lose sight of this simple truth.

Do you genuinely think that women in good times are interested in making themselves disposable and expendable for the male??? How about in hard times like SHTF or TEOTWAWKI?? No difference here either.
As I am often prone to stating..only a male can be this dumb and out of touch..because women are not. They have guys like us mostly figured out. Just as does a politician..

Thanks for your post,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Was thinking this. While I can do construction, I am a Roofer by trade with knowledge in carpentry. I can defend be it with guns or hand to hand. The thing is and Lets market here eventually other will come knowing the same things. Bartering is about what you can do sure but if someone else can do the same how important are you? Be sure your skill aren't so shared that someone can make you so mutable.This seems cruel but if it was me in charge I would train in a skill hard to find yet still needed..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I have one major problem here. You are suggesting there would be a choice. Women with no marketable skill would be used. Regardless of how good a people we may pretend to be. Face facts those that survive 70 percent of those that do will not be romantic. of that 70 maybe 5 will be fathers of quality. If the best you have is women could go back to then. your dreaming the strong will hunt the weak to be used as they see fit. Best thing a women could do in this case is hide their woman traits. Cut hair pad chest play the part. Men are animals. The 20 percent you can trust will be considerate yet still only need one basic thing. Continuation of the Race. with silk or iron women will be in chains even if they know most skills.
The shame of it is real. Best bet women have would bbe to hide they were women. That is the only safety.I am male And though I would like to say I was different honestly I can't Cus we are not there. Women in general are as smart and as strong as men. Today most women are more then men.
The world drops 80 percent population chances are men won't allow it to be why is easy protection of their continuation. Hard to be sensible when janet the only girl alive for 50 miles wants to hunt. Silks threads to hide men being afraid of not losing their names.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Therian

Was thinking this. While I can do construction, I am a Roofer by trade with knowledge in carpentry. I can defend be it with guns or hand to hand. The thing is and Lets market here eventually other will come knowing the same things. Bartering is about what you can do sure but if someone else can do the same how important are you? Be sure your skill aren't so shared that someone can make you so mutable.This seems cruel but if it was me in charge I would train in a skill hard to find yet still needed..

Well said...well said..Therian. Pretty much what I was thinking..but with an economy of words. A real skill..not a stealth skill..ersatz skill.

One of my worst nightmares is to be stuck on the legendary desert isle..with four hundred people who all have consumption rate justifications, reasoning, and skills like Joan Rivers. Males and females both.

At the same time out here in SHTF or TEOTWAWKI there are going to be alot of high maintenance males out here.with only consumption rate skills and knowledges. People who define themselves by what they consume..not by what they know how to do for themselves...much less anyone else. They will be in fact...very effeminate. They are effeminate now in good times and dont know it. They are going to find themselves in the same boat as alot of women or women with children. These males are going to be culled out very quickly as not worth the time or labor of many. Based on their lack of skills/knowledge That is just the way it is.
Taking some social roles or chivalry for granted is going to be a huge liability. and get people hurt of killed ...and some will be dumb enough to call this Love...particularly if they can get someone else to take RISKS For them and their consumption rates.

A woman can hide her sex and sexuality as much as she wants. It will show up in other avenues even faster than hiding her sex. I know just by observation who can and cannot use hand and mind skills to problem solve. By observing physical dexterity/ability combined with thinking skills as to who or who is not male or female. I dont need to undress them.

Thanks,
Orangetom

edit on 9-3-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes, I owned a comic shop for 15 years.

I also like am a WINNER!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
Yes, I owned a comic shop for 15 years.

I also like am a WINNER!!!

Will give you food and my woman for a comic today ,sir

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I'm not saying that people with skills should make themselves available to those without. What I'm saying is that if someone chooses to take a high maintenence person on that is their choice. Personally I wouldn't, but if I ended up stuck (for whatever reason) with a high maintenence person I would make them become less high maintenence. Idealy I would be with a small group of people with skills, but in a less than perfect world, I would do my best to strengthen the group that I am with, as it would increase my own surviaval chances in the long run. Hell, I know a number of women that would be the skilled person in a SHTF situation, and a number of men who would be the high maintenence person.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Therian

The shame of it is real. Best bet women have would bbe to hide they were women. That is the only safety.I am male And though I would like to say I was different honestly I can't Cus we are not there. Women in general are as smart and as strong as men. Today most women are more then men.

I hate to break it to you but women, in general are not as strong as men. This is simply a physiological fact, nothing against women and there is no arguing that most women are at least as smart as most men. Simple fact of the matter is that most women are smaller than most men, which leads to an innate streangth discrepancy. The average woman in the US is 5'4" to the average male who is 5'9" (see this usgovinfo.about.com...) Also the facial features of women are much different from those of the average male, with a woman face being generally more angular. Women also do not grow facial hair and would have to pass themselves off as younger males. This would be more difficult if they were older and had lines on their faces.
edit on 9-3-2011 by JDBlack because: add stuff

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

A lot of people mention leadership skills. But small semi-nomadic groups generally do not have strong leaders---they tend to be voluntary collections of family units who work together to exploit a particular resource. In a non-industrial, non-urban society, membership is largely voluntary; so everybody tends to lead themselves.

Below a population of about 500, group decisions are almost always made by consensus, rather than looking to a strong leader to decide for the group. For some reason, this doesn't apply to religious cults. But otherwise, most folks in a non or post-industrial environment prefer not to be led.

Think about a village or small town: Does the mayor get paid?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join