It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bartering. Can your skill help you survive?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chukka

I personally thin that a medical background will be the most sought after survival skill. As for not having all of the required equipment, there are plenty of handy materials all over to make a make shift tool for a minor procedure.

Also if you have any medical books around its good to keep safe to make sure that you can stay up to date with any procedure you might forget, or if you get nervous and need a steadier mind, reading instead of guessing or having someone without medical training to assist you.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is very interesting...all the talk of having gold...but will it have any value if no one will trade for it?? NOPE.
Sadly most people these days dont have to many skills that would have much value to barter in a real SHTF set us back 150 years type of situation..especially alot of modern men. All I got to do is look at many of my neighbors and co-workers....dead men walking!!!
Women on the other hand, no matter how "un-worldy" one may be..A woman will always have the one thing that will always have value to barter with..without being crude, I think you can all guess that skillset. VERY valuable if used correctly. And will always be in demand. I know thats the lowest common denominator, it just IS what it IS. Not every woman is a ball busting Amazon.

Think about all that we are into and good at as a society today..most of which will be useless in a real SHTF situation. However, I can see that some things such as people who are good with electronics and machanics would have great value as things start to get back "on line".

But IMHO. Without putting too much thought into it, when things are at their worse...anyone who has skillsets in the most "utilitarian" arena will be most valuable...hunters, leaders, providers, builders, people who can provide "protection" or some type of "law enforcement", multi lingual speakers, educators, leather smiths, metal workers, welders, gun smiths, etc, etc. and most importantly...MEDICAL WORKERS. Drs and Nurses will have the pick of the litter in any barter situation...hell, they could even command the relinquish of your first born for their services.

Luckily for me someone very close to me is a nurse
that person can write their own ticket. And I want to make sure I can hang around with that person
SO..in order to make myself a valuble asset to them and to others I am, most importantly, one who can build and mend things.
I can plant, hunt, fish, prepare game, cook, provide for, defend, lead and enforce if I must. All things that are pretty important to that certain nurse
I know how to handle myself while always keeping a level head....Even that has an value of sorts.

I keep myself very fit...I'm fitter than most even when I'm "out of shape" so If I need to provide some kind of courier service then I'm an instant bicycle messenger...I'll even haul a trailer

Very interesting topic for sure.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by chukka
As an ex Paramedic, with a good grounding in minor surgical procedures as well I've always thought I might be useful.

I just worry that I wouldn't have the necessary tools to practice my skills.

Any thoughts?

I do have a big stash of the stuff I need, and rotate it regularly. Ultimately I suspect that I'd only be very useful in the short term.

I dont think that not having the "tools" will matter as much as your knowledge...which will be considerably more than most people. You would find a way to practice your skills and youd still be able to help people far more than the average "Joe Hunter". Now then, think about how valuable if you could get your hands on even the most basic medical tools...cha ching!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Well, reading all the replies - the situation might look a lot more rosy than I previously thought.

I can autonomously prescribe and administer some drugs - including decent analgesia, if the Pharmacies are still in operation.

That said I do have good stocks of my own strong prescription for pain med's which I get a prescription filled for even if I'm not necessarily taking them - sneaky, I know!

I've bought my own sets of minor surgical procedure instruments as well.

Oh, forgot to mention a basic grounding in Wilderness/Expedition medicine as well - and the text books to go with it.

Hmmm, feeling a lot more comfortable about the shtf situation, always thought that I'd just be a five minute wonder- thanks chaps.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My knowledge and skill as a physician trained in both western and eastern medicine. Though use acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine more treatments are tailored to the individual patient making it much more effective than western medicine. Also get everything I need from the jungle and my garden here. Wont be hit when western civilisation falls apart the locals live the way they have for centuries. May not have the conveniences or gadgets here but have quality life with everything that need. I dont set prices when treating the people instead let them decide on what to pay for services or give in trade. Rarely needed though as the locals are a healthy lot overall so spend more time tending my garden or fishing.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Apologies double post.. Heavy rains here today bad connection at present.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Expat888]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is a great thread. I've really enjoyed reading it. In my opinion, having knowledge in things such as growing food, foraging, and hunting, knowing how to construct shelter, and knowing how to make clothing is going to be important. At the bare minimum, those are the things all of us need to survive.

Obviously, the more primal your skills, the better. Like, gardening is good, but you need to know how to garden organically b/c chemicals won't be around. Hunting--you'll need to know how to hunt w/ basic tools b/c eventually we'll run out of bullets. So, bow and arrow hunting, for example, will be a good skill to have. Shelter and clothing will be important b/c we'll need protection from the elements.

If a person has these skills, they can barter their services for either other services or supplies. I just think material possessions won't be worth much if SHTF and having usable skills is what's gonna help you survive.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Most homesteading things I can do. Ive never thought of them as "skills" because they're just things I do when I have to do them.

One thing I have gotten pretty good at out of desire to save money was first small engines B&S types and motorcycles and second ethanol production in small batches.

I could run my very own lawnmower racing thunderdome.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Yes, growing up poor does have advantages, you become extremely resilient.

The ability to barter well is a survival skill. We refer to it as "horse trading". Skill in bartering has allowed my father to survive in the somewhat apocolyptic environment of dirt poor Appalachia for many years now.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think seed saving is going to be important. Not only will you be able to grow your own garden and eat what you grow, but you can then feed livestock as well. But, you can't just save seeds now and think that if you throw them in the ground they're going to magically grow--you need to know how to garden too.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I was raised on a farm and helped my grandmother with the garden
for 7 years til we moved to the suburbs.

She taught me canning, and pickling.

I bailed and hauled hay, I learned basic auto mechanics for older
vehicles before all the computerization.

I learned how to shoot from my grandfather good enough to get
the sharp shooter ribbon while in the military.

Thou he told me only to be a good shot in battle if I needed to save
my life or those around me, glad it never came to that.

I can laser boresight a rifle so that the scope is on target for the
first shot, I did mine and I have the tools to do it.
My laser is mounted in a .30-06 casing.

I learned to track animals from my grandfather, though after
WW2 he no longer wanted to hunt.

I taught myself to make and use a sling and sling staff as a kid.

I taught myself to make and shoot a bow, the making part only
recently.

I taught myself how to use conduit as a blow gun and make steel
blow darts from coat hanger and various things for fletch as a kid.

I got the first aid badge in the boy scouts, and the advanced life
saving techniques while doing the enlisted surface warfare medal.

I used to customize bicycles as a kid for BMX, and if we do hit
peak oil they might get popular again. Check out foam filled
bike tires that do not go flat. Flat tires on bikes was annoying.

I learned how to make a solar still, solar oven, and SODIS water
disinfection recently.

With a laminated guide in my bug out bag I can walk in the weeds
and find plants that are food and medicine, I am slow at it thou.

I can set most snares and traps in the SAS survival guide, some
I deem too complicated to mess with.

I studied Cabin making with just hand tools but have never done it.

I made a small scale underground shelter that stays around
the same temp year round.

I can make fire with the sun and some aluminum foil, think
solar oven here.

I can make a firebow and use it, though I much prefer fire steel
and some dryer lint or the aluminum foil focus.

With a staff, some sticks, and the sun I can find N,S,E, & W.

I can catch ALL of the fish in a pond with a coil and car battery
but it is VERY illegal and a bad idea unless you and a lot of ppl
are starving to death. I learned this from my grandfather
from the great depression and he used a crank telephone.
A insulation tester called a megger will work for this too.

The military taught me basic electricity and electronics,
advanced electronics, fire control weapon systems, and
guided missile radar. I know how to make an inductive power
tap off a high voltage transmission line, but it is illegal as hell.

I know how to take one of my net hammocks and make it into
a ghillie suit with the local plants.

I know more, but this is getting long...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

"Honestly, I am down for a pole shift or something, bring it on. "

A brave man !

I am not so much worried about the shift as I am the magnetic
field being gone for up to several years.

Though I have to say the Northern lights world wide is going to
look awesome.

Also from the nature side one of the half dozen super volcanoes would
really suck too and I think the ppl in kentucky with mammoth cave
might have a good shot at making it.

But in the past few hundred years the top killer for man has been man.

Makes me want to head for remote wilderness, lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chukka
As an ex Paramedic, with a good grounding in minor surgical procedures as well I've always thought I might be useful.

I do have a big stash of the stuff I need, and rotate it regularly. Ultimately I suspect that I'd only be very useful in the short term.

Either become an herbalist or team up with one.

I think with you and someone that can keep you in natures
version of your supplies you'd do VERY well.

The only bad thing I think is you might find yourself being ask
to deal with war wounded not too far from the war.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
reply to post by chukka

Also if you have any medical books around its good to keep safe to make sure that you can stay up to date with any procedure you might forget, or if you get nervous and need a steadier mind, reading instead of guessing or having someone without medical training to assist you.

Peace to you...

One book that really stood out for a lot of ppl is the one
named where there is no doctor.

I do not have it, but I am wanting to get it.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

OP, I have had a diverse education.

Grew up on a dairy farm in the midwest of the united Republics of America.

Learned animal husbandry, agriculture, hunting, trapping, etc.

Went to school for aircraft mechanics, engineering and business administration.

Ran my own business in construction, built everything from small project to multimillion dollar complexes, both commercial and residential.

Taught myself most of the software used today, Office, Adobe, AutoCad, plus a few more. Can also build computers from their components but of course only know one OS, xp. But I know it like the back of my hand.

I am what in the past was referred to as a Renaissance man. Kind of a master of most jack of all trades so to speak. I guess I would be the little guy in the Thunderdome scenario.

I am finding though through my life that the accumulation of wealth is a lot harder nowadays. Plus just like chasing ones own tail. The more you make, the more you work, the more the government takes, the less happy one becomes.

I have read part 2 and am just responding in this to tell you my background since this is kind of what you asked.

We as a people need to understand that as sovereign individuals with the inherent rights endowed upon us, comes with one thing that many do not want to look at. Responsibility. We have the responsibility to understand our own governance. We have to make a choice. Do we shirk our responsibility and expect our government to take from us this very responsibility that actually defines us as we need to be defined. Without our very choice it diminishes us.

Peace my fellow sovereign or freeman/freman.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
double post... sorry
< steve-o keeps the 2nd line position>

[edit on 24-7-2010 by confederate monarchist]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am a CNA with a solid grounding in surgical theory, I have a U.S. Army field surgical set and a STOMP class Field Hospital-in-a-pack, plus manuals on field surgery and aseptic practice in the field. I have the U.S. Army Improvised Munitions Handbook (pre-1968), I can go into the woods with nothing, including clothes, and MAKE ANYTHING I want to...clothing/food/shelter/fire/tools... i can hunt, tan (brain AND bark), gut, butcher, mill bone, cook, sew, weave, spin, make baskets, boxes, bowls, plates, cups, flatware, knives, spears, atl-atl, crude bows and arrows both, trap and make traps and snares, make rawhide, chamois, and full hides, as well as tanned furs, I can make moccasins in 7 different tribe's patterns and any size, I can knap tools from flint, chert or obsidian, I know how to find pyrites for fire-kits, and what to use for tinder even wet, I can build wig-wams, hogans, tipis, howasets, houngen, man-caves and other shelters, as well as cabins and houses of many kinds. I can fight; I have been trained in a catch-all "whatever works, just kill em" kind of hand-to-hand combat, I can hide, I can track, and I keep 3 years worth of non-GMO seed on my 40 acres of mixed woodlot and small pastures, in which live 2 mares, a mule, a jack-ass, 3 Jersey cows and a calf, 3 goats, 5 sows, and assorted chickens, ducks, dogs and cats.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I'd like to mention that in relation to bartering.

There are ways of calculating the price of products and services.
Such as with a price-barter-calculation formula.

(time+mass)^chakra/abundance*utility = price

where homo-sapiens are typically third-density so chakra 3.something.
I usually make 1 hour of time equal to 40 grams,
though that's the equivalent of a persons "wage".

we can also make barter currency notes for ourselves.

Dinje Note
Let seller be _______________
Let buyer be ________________
Let product be ________________
Let payment be ________________

when the transaction is complete (buyer pays seller), the notes are void, and simply receipts.
The buyer gets a Debt Dinje note, and seller gets a Money Dinje note.

If the transaction is incomplete,
the dinje is transferable.

Let expiry be ______________
Let collector be ____________

of course the debt can only be collected once.
though the dinje notes can be used as payment.

eventually a collector can track down the buyer,
and collect the debt from them.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm a pediatric surgeon, but also have a degree in dental hygiene, am a former sheriff's deputy, and have 10 years military experience as an intel officer. I'm hoping my skills would be sufficient to find a decent community if it ever becomes necessary.

* edited to correct spelling error

[edit on 8/13/2010 by ~Vixen~]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

Wow that is very impressive, I am sure that you will be a very valuable asset for anyone that you may be surrounded by in case of an emergency.

Peace to you...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join