It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionic legs allow paralysed man to walk again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
July 16, 2010

When Hayden Allen suffered a spinal cord injury in a motorbike accident five years ago, doctors told him he’d never walk again.
But today a revolutionary product developed by a New Zealand biotech company has enabled him to do just that.

Mr Allen has been one of the first people in the world to use Rex, the Robotic Exoskeleton - a pair of robotic legs that supports and assists a person who usually uses a wheelchair.
It lets them stand, walk and go up and down steps and slopes.
‘I’ll never forget what it was like to see my feet walking under me the first time I used Rex,' said Mr Allen.
‘People say to me, "Look up when you’re walking" but I just can’t stop staring down at my feet moving.’
Rex users move from their chair into Rex, strap themselves in and control their movements using a joystick and control pad.

The equipment weighs 38kg (84lb) and is individually made for each user.

It is powered by a lightweight, long-life rechargeable battery.

Read more:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0fc46d202c68.jpg[/atsimg]

This is wonderful news, the article mentions it will go on sale next year, great breakthrough for people in wheelchairs. Hope it won't be outrageously expensive, also that insurance will pay for it. I personally know two fairly young people who are in wheelchairs who will certainly bnefit from this technology.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Beautiful! Now if technology could make the equipment more `natural` looking, then I'm sure more disabled folks would be able `to walk` again!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Beautiful! Now if technology could make the equipment more `natural` looking, then I'm sure more disabled folks would be able `to walk` again!

As time goes by I am sure that it will be more natural looking, but for now it is absolutely amazing, bulky or not it will be much easier then navigating a wheel chair which is very cumbersome.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

This is awesome but I still think having a Professor X hovering X-Men Wheelchair would be cooler.

Technology FTW

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is an encouraging story, although it would be more compelling if the thread title were "Bionic legs allow paralysed man kick balls of asshat motorist who pulled in front of his motorbike".

Sorry, I used to ride. Had to vent.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Was able to find a video, wow.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Pretty damn awesome.

God Bless Capitalism. There will be profit from this.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Pretty damn awesome.

God Bless Capitalism. There will be profit from this.

Yes there will be a profit at the expense of those who are not insured and can't afford to buy this technology, not sure I would bless capitalism at this point and time.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thats fantastic to see,to have been able to walk then have it taken away must be heartbreaking so to able to walk again somehow must be a feeling none of us can imagine.
great use of technology & money,hopefully this will lead to even better versions in the future.
this thread made me smile

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Lt Dan Has NEW LEGS...NEW LEGS..

Magic Legs!

Good stuff

top topics

join