It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptize'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I think Atheists should speak up and condemn this. Taking part in events such as these only harms the reputation of all Atheists because it reinforces the idea that they are vehemently anti-religion, intolerant thugs fixated on smearing Christianity and other religions.

Hi.
SOME of them ARE vehemently anti-religion, intolerant thugs fixated on smearing Christianity and other religions. It doesn't speak for all atheists unless you're the kind of person who judges a group based on the actions of the few. There are religious people who are vehemently religious, intolerant thugs fixated on smearing anything non-Christian and other religions, too. They're individuals and don't reflect on the larger group.

This doesn't bother me because it's harmless. It's their expression of self. I'm not going to condemn it because I don't see a thing wrong with it and I find it very funny.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What is the point of an Atheist "De-Baptizing"???
An Atheist doesn't believe in god, there for there is nothing to De Baptize!
If they think this Ritual is actually needed they are not really an Atheist IMO

Just sounds like attention seeking to me

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
If they think this Ritual is actually needed they are not really an Atheist IMO

If you look at the video of them doing it (I posted it a few pages ago), you'll see that they're not taking it as a serious matter. They're having fun, laughing and so on. It's just a simple gesture to most, I'm sure. There are probably some who feel really good about the symbology, though. Sloughing off a lifetime of religious indoctrination can be a difficult task. If it helps some people to move forward and doesn't harm anyone, I don't see the problem. They're not hurting anyone.

Just sounds like attention seeking to me

Most definitely. And look how successful they were!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I think Atheists should speak up and condemn this. Taking part in events such as these only harms the reputation of all Atheists because it reinforces the idea that they are vehemently anti-religion, intolerant thugs fixated on smearing Christianity and other religions.

This event was not a smear of christianity.

In fact, 95% of this thread is christians smearing atheists.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

This event was not a smear of christianity.

In fact, 95% of this thread is christians smearing atheists.

I'm an atheist and i see this event as smearing baptism which is a key part of certain religions. The entire act was pathetic, childish and beneath those who value reason. It was nothing more than an insult because it mocks something so clearly.

So i can understand why some Christians would be angry, although if they were actually practicing their religion properly they would just forgive those involved instead of insulting them

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I'm an atheist and i see this event as smearing baptism which is a key part of certain religions. The entire act was pathetic, childish and beneath those who value reason.

I agree that it could be viewed as childish. I still don't see at as a smear of christianity. It was simply an attempt at a semi-comical ceremony for apostates. Big deal.

What I do see is hoards of people here demanding respect for their religions whilst providing no respect whatsoever for the activities of atheists. What's new though? No different from the "I'm offended" crap from muslims.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Perhaps I did not express myself as clearly as I intended. What I was meaning to suggest is that most Atheists do NOT display that type of behaviour. But the small minority that does these things gives the whole group a bad name. The same as the small minority of religious extremists that do stupid things give all those that are religious a bad name.

You don't need to be a Christian to acknowledge that their behaviour was childish and antagonistic. If you conduct yourself in these ways, you can expect to be treated the same in return.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I agree that it could be viewed as childish. I still don't see at as a smear of christianity. It was simply an attempt at a semi-comical ceremony for apostates. Big deal.

What I do see is hoards of people here demanding respect for their religions whilst providing no respect whatsoever for the activities of atheists. What's new though? No different from the "I'm offended" crap from muslims.

Do you think it is admirable to insult another person's belief system just because you can? If you are unwilling to show respect towards the beliefs of others, how can you demand that they respect your views?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Do you think it is admirable to insult another person's belief system just because you can? If you are unwilling to show respect towards the beliefs of others, how can you demand that they respect your views?

I still don't see this as as disrespect to anyone else's beliefs. If they did this in front of a church: definitely disrespectful. At their own private event? No disrespect at all. Are they burning bibles or urinating or the koran? No. It's a bunch of weirdos running around with hair dryers.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
hair dryers to de-baptize? this is silly, all i can say

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Ridiculous and HILARIOUS in my opinion.
The fact that there are Atheists out there who feel a need to form a group sort of goes against the whole point of Atheism to an extent, doesn't it? Anyway, what a bunch of attention-hungry tools.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As an atheist myself, this act of "debaptizing" goes against definition of atheism. If you don't believe in God, then there is no need to concern yourself with a religious ritual.

I know they say this "debaptizing" is only symbolic, but symbolism is important because when you see "atheists" performing rituals like this, it's a "symbol" that deep down they truly believe the original ritual did something supernatural.

In-other-words, these people aren't atheists so much as they are antagonists to religious ritual. There's a difference.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark GhostDo you think it is admirable to insult another person's belief system just because you can? If you are unwilling to show respect towards the beliefs of others, how can you demand that they respect your views?

Why would I care that they respect my beliefs?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by monguzi
hair dryers to de-baptize? this is silly, all i can say

Of course it was silly. That was the point, don't you think? It was just as silly as baptism is.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I know they say this "debaptizing" is only symbolic, but symbolism is important because when you see "atheists" performing rituals like this, it's a "symbol" that deep down they truly believe the original ritual did something supernatural.

No. They know darned well it didn't do anything supernatural.

In-other-words, these people aren't atheists so much as they are antagonists to religious ritual. There's a difference.

I'd agree this is somewhat more in line with antitheism than strict atheism.

Still though, this was not a serious ritual by any means. If you suspect otherwise simply view the pictures from the event.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_
Why would it be wrong to symbolicly de-baptize adults when it is ok to symbolicly baptize babies ?

Because Atheists claims they aren't a religion....this whole idea goes against the very idea of Atheism which holds no single doctrine. I think fellow atheists should be more embarrassed with this group than Christians.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

i really need to ask this

what happens if the said person was a jewish or muslim male,
sew fake forskin onto the male gentalia?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

It applies to christian men too. For those who want to, there are devices for stretching the skin to restore foreskin.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

LOL, now that's absolutely one thing that I don't agree with, circumcision. To me, such an act equates to genital mutilation. I have refrained from doing that to my boy and I try to talk my neighbors into holding off as well, though I'm not too successful in the Jewish part of town.

Our tax-dollars actually flow into Africa to prevent this kind of think from happening in Africa with young girls, yet somehow we think it's okay to do with our own little boys. It's such a double-standard. The same people who advocate snipping little boys, also consider the same treatment of little girls to be barbaric. What gives?

--airspoon

reply to post by C09JayLT

For the most part, Christians don't practice circumcision, save for in the US and Canada.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It’s a joke. Some Atheists are making a religion about being non religious. They are becoming like religious fanatics, bent on reverse conversions and reverse baptism.

Where some religious people believe in God and try to stuff their beliefs down your throat, some Atheists are just as bad and bent on stuffing their beliefs down your throat too. They are both as bad as each other and what’s laughable is that some Atheists just don’t see what they are doing!

I just wish people would live and let live. We all have to believe in something in the end, whether that is a belief in God et al, or a belief there is no God.

Chill out.

Regards

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join