It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Seriously mate, I thought you were an educated Australian...

If they meant 2013 then they would have said it...

They continually say "around 2013"

Spot the difference???

If I say your IQ is around 80, it means maybe somewhere between 70 and 90... Thats a fair example yes???

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lacanau

The Hopi prophecies say something entirely different, and the Hopi are one of the Maya tribes.

According to their own prophecies the tribulation starts with the appearance of the blue star Katchina, and according to them comet Holmes was the Blue star, Sakwa Sohu Katchina,(literally Sakwa means blue/green) when in October 2007 it expanded to become bigger than the Sun and became the largest object in the Solar System at that time. It also brightened half a million times more than it was before the expansion/explosion.

According to the Hopi prophecy the Sakwa Sohu Katchina would appear and would shed it's mask, as it is imitated in their dances, and that is what comet Holmes did. Part of it's mass expanded and became bigger than the Sun. The comet survived this event, and it is supposed to come back again in 7 years around 2014.

That is the start of the tribulation, when Sakwa Sohu Katchina appears, and according to that same prophecy another star would appear in the sky after the blue katchina, and this time a red star, Paha Sohu Katchina, would come to purify. Paha Sohu Katchina is the purifier.

This event is not going to happen in one day, and the world won't end either. Yes, there will be many disasters which will continue to intensify to a peak around 2014 when Paha Sohu Katchina, the purifier makes it's appearance. That is, according to Hopi prophecy.

[edited to correct statements]

[edit on 18-7-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
this is what they say at least 4 times month. not long ago they said a cosmic dust 1 million degree was going to roast us all. then they say we're all going to die every 27 million year. then they said a flare was going to cause devastation many times months ago and now again.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I saw a similar article in my newspaper a few weeks ago. Some people saw it and posted panic alerts on Facebook (which was ridiculous). When I read the article, it wound up being fear mongering propaganda implying "devastation" all across the Earth, the likes of which we've never seen. Personally, I didn't see any reason to get jacked up about it because all it came down to in this article was this "may happen, we "don't know when," but it will definitely be "sometime in the future." For some, however, this caused panic of impending doom.

I'm sure there are numerous things that "could happen," or "will happen sometime in the future" that might be devastating to the population. But does that mean we are supposed to dwell on these issues every day and live in fear of them? Of course not. The fact is, if these acts of nature occur, how much can a person do to stop it? Probably nothing.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy" are expected but our sensitivity to solar storms is unprecedented because of our dependence on satellites and electrical power. The article is a sensationalist load of crap. Twisting what was really said.

The point was that it may have a major effect on our current technological society, because of our dependance on it.

The same point NASA is making.

Your effort, as well as your homey Chad´s, to nitpick and divert, is noted.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The only thing of interest to me is that this phenomenon HAS occured before and therefore it is VERY unlikely it wont happen again... the 1million dollar question is WHEN... Guess its no use pondering over these things... when it comes it comes... I've read that IF a big one heads our way we wont even have time to blink let alone prepare for it... so its no use worrying... just let it come and see what draconian measures will be taken in the aftermath... I believe that is what we should be truly worried about anyway... We can survive without electricity. we've done so for thousands of years.

I can see the governments of this world use such an event to further their agenda and cling some aditional chains to our ankles... guess we'll just have to wait and see...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

We can survive without electricity. we've done so for thousands of years.

Can WE? I know I can, but all of us?

For thousands of years we haven´t been dependant on electricity, so I don´t think you can compare.

How is everybody going to eat if society, communications and logistics come to a halt?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

a better description would be that humanity will survive... I know that in my part of the world it's gonna be pretty tough when the lights go out. I havent experienced the shelves emptying in the stores but if one day it does happen Holland will be in some deep trouble...

Got myself some survival guides just so I know I can go into the forrest and at the very least feed my family with the basic things if need be...

Better to be safe then sorry right?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Divert what?

The fact that this subject has been posted on ATS numerous times?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh look at what I'm doing now, I'm diverting the subject by starting a thread all about the 1859 super solar storm!!

How dare I divert the truth by provided an informative thread.

Shame on me eh?

[edit on 18/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Said very eloquently. Thanks Phage for slam dunking another fear monger.

Sometimes rational thought overcomes loose ignorance!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
That Kaku video is based on old, wrong, news. At one point NASA did warn of these kind of solar storms in 2012, but they've since changed their mind on that, and most of the most scary sounding stuff was bolted on my magazines/blogs after the fact.

Kaku might be smart in his particular field of "string field theory", but for most other science he's just like any other mainstream science reporter. He repeats sensational claims that are often out of date or a bit wrong.

[edit on 18/7/2010 by harpsounds]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just trying to engage some logic here. Since when does it mean that just because something hasn't happened before means it won't ever happen?

Her husband hit her many times in the past and she's lived, so when he hits her again she'll live.

My house has been shaken by many earthquakes before and not been swallowed up into the ground, so the next time there is an earthquake, it won't be swallowed up into the ground.

There have been many solar storms before and they didn't burn out all our communications permanently, so the next time there is a solar storm, they will not be burned out permanently.

Thing is, there's no way to know for sure. Cycles do happen and can give us some idea of what might happen, but they are no guarantee of what will happen. A slight change in a variable or an error in assumption, and it could be a whole new experiment with a whole new result.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It is also not what the NASA scientist said.

Compare this:

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

With this:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

The Sun is not going to "wake" around 2013, it is in the process of waking right now. It is expected to reach its peak in 2013. There is no expectation that this peak will be more severe than any previous peak in the solar cycle.

No "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy" are expected but our sensitivity to solar storms is unprecedented because of our dependence on satellites and electrical power.

The article is a sensationalist load of crap. Twisting what was really said.

science.nasa.gov...

sorry m8 but i trust Mr Kaku more than you

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

At one point NASA did warn of these kind of solar storms in 2012, but they've since changed their mind on that, and most of the most scary sounding stuff was bolted on my magazines/blogs after the fact.

See, thats where you guys loose me....

You freely admit they were WRONG in the past but now we are supposed to believe everything they say....

I don't even need to debate with you guys...

You beat yourselves..

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
the solar storm in question happened already and it will happen again

it could be this cycle...we all know the sun was too quiet ...more than usual

also, sign of the awakening are all around us and you all know

Unfortunately I cannot do anything...by scientists can....the world just went through a recession and having our tools shut down wont do any good

[edit on 18-7-2010 by heineken]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
exactly....

is any one here puzzled or cant imagine NASA changing their version on the subject????

they hid water was on the moon..also they only took humanity up to the moon and we stuck there...

Mobile phones used to be big and bulky ...see them now..

TV used to be b&W ...see them now..

Cars used to walk...see them now...

Planes used to have 2 sets of double wings...see them now..

COmputers used to be room size..see them now..

Space we went to the moon...were did we go from there??!??!?!?

Dont you think there is something wrong here??!?!?!?

[edit on 18-7-2010 by heineken]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Maybe, the next logical step for human space travel is to see what long term effects being in space has on the human body.

Anyway, what does this have to do with a spaceweather forecast?

Because that's what it is in it's simplistic form. A weather forecast.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Something like this , for example, could change all the assumptions, eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Rule 1: NASA lies.

Hmm, I don't want to say "towards the end of 2012". What do I say instead? How about "around 2013"? Much more vague, and avoids the bad 2012 number.

I read another NASA 2012 detraction at www.nasa.gov...

Question (Q): Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012. Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.

That's a severe case of answering a question so literally as to avoid the question.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I bought an aluminum trash can for a faraday cage. If things get bad we can store computer CPU, laptops, I pods, cell phones, batteries, radios,
playstations. psp, ps3, wii, game controllers, etc... Line the can's lid with alumium foil for a tighter seal. A small aluminum lunch box makes a small portable faraday cage. Wrap cell phones in aluminum foil. Always unplug your appliances unless you are using them, this works well for safety against thunderstorm damage too. Unplug/ disconnect your car's battery if the storms become intense, also good for EMP attacks. Keep wrench in your trunk for this. Buy a hand crank radio/cell phone charger incase we loose our electricity for a long period of time. People on wells need to have a generator to draw water up from the well for short periods of time, so you also need to store gas in cans. There are generator plans on how to make one from a lawn mower engine on line. Download into a printed copy for future reference in case you need to make one, generators cost up to two thousand dollars. Keep amounts of money available in change and one dollar bills in case the atms stop working and people can't work their cash registers. Gas pumps would also quit working if the electricity stops.

I don't know what people with pacemakers can do... wrap themselves in aluminum foil? Or find a place such as a basement or storm celler to sit out the storms in. Culvert pipes, tunnels, caves, parking garages in down town, basements, bank safes, five feet under the dirt
and concrete to avoid cosmic gamma rays. I don't know if children would need protection to keep their reproductive systems viable.
Are the sun's rays enough to cause cancer, kill sperm and eggs in animals, or are they like x rays and chemotheraphy radiation?

As I read this I can see how they would not tell the public what to do,
there would be alot of people who will not be reproducing and having grand children if we had severe extreme solar activity. Chemotherpy kills reproduction, causes people's hair to fall out, and gives people radiation sickness. We might be a society that hides during the day and comes out to accomplish business at night. The sun could be a silent killer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join