It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It pays to feed the critters...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I spent all morning in my garden weeding, watering and deadheading. I was done with the bulk of the tedious work and paused along my back fence to look at the hill upon which I was about to transplant a few perennials.

I was leaning on the fence and noticed a lot of bird activity, which in itself isn't unusual in my yard as I feed them year round, but this was different. Several varieties of birds where making lots of noise while swooping and diving very close to me. I was amused but not concerned. I just stood there watching.

Then off to my right there was a huge commotion. A squirrel came charging down my fence line and leaped into the crab-apple tree just to the right of me, chattering the whole way. It was making quite a spectacle of itself. It was getting closer and closer and louder and louder and it occurred to me that either there was a cat lurking that I couldn't see or maybe it was rabid or something, it was that crazy.

I started to get concerned and had forgotten all about the bird activity. I stepped back a ways from the fence to get a head start on the crazy squirrel if things went wrong and then two sparrows who have been nesting all year in my yard flew into another tree just behind me and also started chattering. One of the birds then flew to the fence post not three feet from me and was chirping like mad.

I thought for sure there must be a cat, a snake or some sort of predator and moved back toward the fence to check. The squirrel jumped from the tree back to the fence and was squealing so I stopped. All of the sudden there was a huge cracking and popping sound and the top of a dead oak tree came crashing down right in front of me and landed just on the other side of the fence about six or eight feet from me.

The squirrel ran down the hill and jumped on an adjacent oak and just went crazy bitching and shaking his tail hysterically before running off back into the woods.

So anyways...you occasionally read about animals giving warnings and I totally just experienced it. I was about to go down on the hill exactly where that tree landed if the animals hadn't caused such a scene to distract me.

I wonder how they knew?
It was just a dead tree, not an earthquake or a tsunami. It was weird, kind of cool and I just thought I would share the story.
Has anyone else ever personally experienced an animal warning of impending danger? Maybe it's more common than one would imagine.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Jack, have you considered that the animals actually set a trap for you ??

The birds served as the bait, however when you didn't hit your mark the squirrel intervened to try and get you where you needed to be.

Unfortunately he sent you the wrong signals, and his plot was unsuccessful, that's why he was so angry before he ran back into the forest.

If it's one thing I know about Critter's, they can't be trusted.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

LoL!

Well, as any good tin-hatter, I ought to keep an open mind to all of the nefarious possibilities the situation could present...

Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I for one think this is very heart warming - and I believe that critters can look out for those that look out for them. I trust animals more than I trust people, just the way I am, must be from experience.

Thank you - I must go feed the birds now, they are waiting patiently in the bushes for my arrival.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Jack, have you considered that the animals actually set a trap for you ??

The birds served as the bait, however when you didn't hit your mark the squirrel intervened to try and get you where you needed to be.

Unfortunately he sent you the wrong signals, and his plot was unsuccessful, that's why he was so angry before he ran back into the forest.

If it's one thing I know about Critter's, they can't be trusted.

LOL Well that has got to be the funniest explanation i ever heard ! Make for a good movie the Revenge Of The Critters ! LOL I better start watching that chipmunk that's been watching me every morning ......

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Made me laugh. They'll let you know if something is going to happen. I've noticed that before a storm the birds get quiet. I keep a cat just for that reason, if she's hiding then I'll know something's up.In my Mohawk beliefs I have two animal allies, Red Tailed Hawk and the White Tailed Deer. These two animals are part of my spirituality. Generally when the deer cross my path I'm in for a learning experience. If the hawk crosses my path, wonderful, serendipitous things happen. I always give thanks to the creator who made all living things, when I come in contact with my allies. Reading your post made me give thanks. Nia-wen ko-wa. (Big Thanks)

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
They might of heard the tree starting to weaken on a level our ears cant hear, and said among themselves, that person is our friend lets warn her to stay back.

Give the animals a little extra food or a added treat as a thank you for the warning they gave you.

top topics

join