It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.6 Earthquake Rattle Washington DC

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this! I have family in the area. So far, none have felt this and knew nothing about it until I told them after reading about what happened.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Ariel]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It would be interesting to hear if anyone's pets acted weird early this morning. I was talking to my brother who lives down in Alexandria and he said his dog was howling all night. Even mine gave me a dreadful time last night and early this morning which is very rare behavior for him and I'm a good 3 hours from the epicenter.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This was my first earthquake. Yes the Cali people can poke fun. But when you live in an area where they barely exist, it was quite frightening.

I heard a loud bang, and the house started shaking, windows started rattling.

Ever see a couple of hamsters or gerbils woken up? My husband and I were like huh. what? wth?

it was like a building sized truck was rumbling by.But we live on a dead end quiet road.

My first thought was a transformer blew up. Then I thought, omg it must be an earthquake, cuz it was so strange.

The bed shook for a minute. It took a long time. After about 45 seconds I thought: If it doesn't stop shaking, I might have to get a priest for an exorcism. *laughs*

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

you have to remember that the geology is completely different here too. A lot of people felt it big time.

I take 3 medicatiosn to sleep. No that isn't a typo, and it woke me out of a dead sleep.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Moriarty

My cats insisted on spending the night outside. Usually they are sleeping on the foot of the bed.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I would suspect this might just be GOD showing his displeasure about the newly past financial reform package !!!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Just got off the phone with my mom. She said it sounded like a train rumbling nearby the house. Apparantly the epicenter was in Gaithersburg. The dog slept right through it, but people were reporting that a lot of pets jumped off the bed when the quake happened.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Ariel]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
"On the U.S. Geological Survey's website, more than 11,000 people by mid-morning reported feeling the quake, some from as far away as Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The agency said earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains can be felt over an area as much as 10 times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the West Coast."

link

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It would seem that the New Madrid is waking up again, we had a 3.8 in the suburbs a couple months ago that was felt in Chicago!

Other threads about New Madrid have popped up here as well... One hitting DC is just weird.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I live in the PA area,
A couple weeks ago I kept hearing a really low rumbling noise,
It sounded like a thunder storm or an earthquake,
but nothing was shaking and the skies were clear,
I think that mightve had something to do with the quake in DC

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is a thread about a brand new faultline in Arkansas. Not connected to New Madrid, and becoming extremely active just this year!

I also believe something is goingon. There is a line through central AR, TN, KE, MS, AL and now there is a line forming from Quebec throug DC?

Odd seismic patterns.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I was not aware of this new fault. Thanks for the link. Do you think it might have something to do with dare I say the oil? The Madrid runs that way...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
We felt it in Germantown. I just thought it was the MARC train too... Only this time it felt and sounded like it was running through my apartment building.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Out of curiosity as im unaware but is there a fault that leads directly from here towards the gulf? Could the pressure be causing the oil to find other weaknesses in the area or possibly displacing other areas? Or could it be that the oil that has leaked has left a void that has been weakened and allowing the areas to be more prone to moving?

Theres also something else thats concerning, well to me atleast. That is the area Kern Canyon fault and white wolf fault.
heres the linkwww.sfgate.com...

A seismic fault in the Sierra Nevada, believed to have been quiet for more than 3 million years, is active after all and capable of triggering strong quakes with magnitudes of 6 or even 7, scientists say.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Wasn't there also one in NJ in February? Very small, but might be connected or and indication of something. Very rare for NJ.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The thing I find troubling is that this is the 2nd earthquake the east coast has seen in less than 30 days. We had that 5 pointer in Quebec on June 23 that was felt throughout the region and now this one today, the strongest on record for DC. Just plain weird

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have a theory as to why we are experiencing more and more earthquakes and volcanic activity, especially on faults and in volcanoes that have relatively dormant...until now.

Ever heard of the “expanding earth theory?” I think that the earth is getting ready to to expand again….and all these earthquakes and rifts opening up on the bottom of the ocean floor (including the ones that contributed to the BP disaster) are just the warning signs.

For those of you who are familiar with the expanding earth theory, you'll know what I'm talking about. For those who aren’t, go to this link. Here are some excellent animation of it:

www.nealadams.com...

The gist of my theory (it's a variation of the expanding earth theory) goes something like this:

We know that the solar system rotates around the galactic center, as the galaxy turns. When the earth rotates around the sun, we call one complete revolution around the sun a “year.” As the earth changes position around the sun during the ear, we mark the different positions in the earth’s orbit around the sun as “seasons” and there are changes on the earth during those seasons. We call those seasonal changes. For example, we get growth spurts in the spring…(growth of new trees, and flowers and grass and animal life)….and we also get expansion of existing life…(every year, the trees grow larger around, etc..every year, more animals have more babies, etc…)

In the fall, and winter seasons, things quiet down and go dormant.

We know that as the universe expands, the galaxy also turns. For the sake of argument, let’s call one complete turn of the galaxy a “galactic year.” I think there are also galactic seasons, but because a galactic year is so huge compared to an earth year….we don’t notice them. (But perhaps some of the ancients did.)

I think that during a "galactic spring" for example, there is also a "galactic expansion"…..just as life expands on earth during the earth spring, I think that the planets expand during the galactic spring.

Neal Adams showed that the planets are expanding in his animations. But why should it be random? Why could this expansion not be related somehow to galactic cycles?

After all, we know that solar systems expand as the universe expands (this explains the drift of the stars in the night sky over millennia), and as the universe expands, I think that the planets also expand. Why should we automatically assume that this expansion of the universe is constant, and not periodic? After all, for years, we thought that evolution was constant, but then that biologist, Jay Stephen Gould showed us that evolution happens in "fits and starts". So, could it not be possible that expansion also happens in fits and starts....but in such huge passages of time that we are not aware of it?

I think this expansion is NOT random, or constant. I think this universal expansion, and the expansion of the solar system is based on a cycle...a galactic cycle, which is based on a universal cycle. And I think that’s what the Mayans picked up on. They knew about cycles in time. I think these cycles in time are not only spiritual, but also physical.

I think the “galactic snow is melting”, and we are heading from a galactic winter into a galactic spring. Great upheaval and change will come, not only spiritually but also physically….with great earthquakes and earth changes.

I think that these periodic catastrophic changes in the earth's crust are what lead to great extinction events on the earth....and they eventually wipe out most of the earth's population.....and wipe out our collective memory so the catastrophes become myth and legend…such as “the greath flood”, etc…

It would be interesting to measure the giant rift on Mars to see if it has also begun to expand lately. It's easier for us to see Mars' rift than ours, because ours is located under the ocean.

In any case, I think all the increasing earthquake activity, and see floor activity could be due to another expansion about to happen. i.e. the growing pains that happen right before a "growth spurt." ( For example....I think that maybe the sea floor started to expand, which could have contributed to the BP oil disaster, and made it worse. Maybe those cracks we are seeing under the ocean floor right now are just "warning signs.")

I came up with this theory a couple of years ago and posted it on ATS…and of course, I got people trying to debunk me like crazy. But I truly think it’s possible. I wanted to post it again....maybe now, with earthquake activity increasing even more....and more faults opening up in the ocean.... people will be more open minded.

[edited for greater clarity)

[edit on 16-7-2010 by nikiano]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by redeyedwonder

I was not aware of this new fault. Thanks for the link. Do you think it might have something to do with dare I say the oil? The Madrid runs that way...

I will say that I don't think so. But it has certainly crossed my mind. At one point on a chart I was looking at, there was a nice curved arc of earthquakes with the Deep Horizon Leak almost equidistant to each Earthquake. It was a very odd coincidence.

I also say that I don't believe in the abiotic oil theory. But....I am starting to see more and more merit to it. And if it is true then it could connect earthquakes to gas and oil reserves.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
On the way to work this morning my buddy tells me he swore we had an earthquake this morning, I called bs. Sure enough I was wrong, as the day went on it came up on the radio more and more. Come to find out my brother and sister felt it too, I felt nothing, wish I did though.

Didn't one of the timewave guy's predict an east coast earthquake for 2010? If I remember correctly it was suppose to be a big one. Hmm, maybe this is just a warm up for something massive. Are we even prepared for a large earthquake over here or would our cities just crumble?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I woke and saw the notification of the quake. I'm unsure what to make of it all as I've only been following quakes for a few years as a part time hobby although I do find it noteworthy. I did find it interesting that the USGS showed it as a "significant quake". I don't know the criteria it takes to make it on the list but it's one of the lowest magnitude quakes on the list going back a few years. I speculate location, population density and frequency are some of the qualifications but I really don't know.

USGS significant earthquakes

reply to post by nikiano

I've read about and seen the animation of the expanding earth theory and am well aware of the debates on ATS about it although I think it's an interesting theory. I especially like your theory regarding the "seasons of the galactic year". It makes logical sense in the greater scheme of things assuming the "as above so below" concept. I'm pretty open minded to this sort of thing as there's still some speculation, I believe, especially the further back in history you go.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join