It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Rangel Again Calls For Military Draft"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
There he goes again, I guess it's an every 3 year thing with him....

From "AP" article... snippet below...

Rep. Charles Rangel is again calling for a military draft to highlight the fact that relatively few families are bearing a disproportionate burden in fighting the nation's wars.

The New York Democrat introduced a bill Thursday to reinstate the draft, a symbolic gesture that has no chance of becoming law. Rangel previously introduced similar legislation in 2003 and 2007.

www.google.com...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm completely against this as a believer in freedom.

But in an ideal world, I think it would be important. Why not have each individual to use weapons and defend themselves? Those same individuals could later save themselves from the government when it oversteps its boundaries.

But in the world we live in today, there is absolutely no argument anyone can have to send people unwillingly to murder others. That is why Muhammad Ali will forever be a hero to me.

"Man, I ain't got no quarrel with the Viet Cong."

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years."

-- A true American

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
wow i have never heard more accurate or truer words thank you for posting that ali quote its amazeing that people were speaking with such clarity back then!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

It's a ridiculous world when a person has to go to jail for refusing to mass murder people.

TPTB say life is so precious they wouldn't even work with stem cells til now, but they'll send kids into a war to fight. I even heard Obama's press secretary refer to the soldiers as "our children" the other day.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

I was going to go with yearly tradition...but your assessment is probably more accurate. Still it's good to have this debate every now and then...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Why not import all of the military people you need from 3 world country's like the middle east they all know how to fight?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14
I'm completely against this as a believer in freedom.

But in an ideal world, I think it would be important. Why not have each individual to use weapons and defend themselves? Those same individuals could later save themselves from the government when it oversteps its boundaries.

But in the world we live in today, there is absolutely no argument anyone can have to send people unwillingly to murder others. That is why Muhammad Ali will forever be a hero to me.

"Man, I ain't got no quarrel with the Viet Cong."

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years."

-- A true American

S&F to OP

Star to you ! the fianaltruth14 for a very well written post of true reality and honesty !

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
We have military stationed ALL over the world. The list is pretty large Belgium, Cuba, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guam, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Signapore, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, and the UK.

Source

Why should we draft at home when thier should be more than plenty of troops at these bases? Bring them boys home or send them to war, don't make them live outside of the country. Actually if we brought them all home, imagine the unemployment rate then....

top topics

join