It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth atmosphere collapse puzzles scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
CO2 traps upgoing thermal radiation. Lower levels stay warm while upper ones cool.

Maybe I'm admitting my own stupidity here, but I still fail to understand that hypothesis. Despite all the times in school I heard it. How is it that gas would have such properties that heat can pass through one side and not return through the opposite side. I would think the properties of a gas are evenly distributed and the same rules apply to the same cloud of gass irrespective to the entry or exit point. Therefore if CO2 blocks heat at the atmospheric exit point then it would also block it at the entry point.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Does that mean less oxygen is present in the atmosphere or that the density of the atmosphere is less? Either proposition is a bit scary.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Incoming solar radiation heats the surface of the Earth. This radiation is of mostly short wavelengths, visible light, near and mid infrared. Air (including CO2) is transparent to these frequencies of light and allows it to pass through.

When the heated surface begins to cool at night it is the result of the heat being radiated but the radiated energy is at much longer wavelengths (far infrared), wavelengths for which CO2 and other "greenhouse gasses" are not transparent. This is the radiation which gets trapped in the atmosphere.

[edit on 7/16/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It's talking about the "atmosphere" 50 miles up there. There isn't much of anything anyway at that altitude. I don't think that it's anything to fret about.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
reply to post by Naardus

Who said anything about taxing anything?

No one yet, but the governments answer to everything lately is taxes so it is probably safe to assume that taxes are coming.

Originally posted by christianpatrick

Originally posted by Faiol
GLOBAL WARMING
its just amazing ... and if nobody said it already, they will blame global warming soon!

Some will blame global warming. Some will blame Dick Cheney. Some will blame President Obama. Some will say it's God's wrath for tolerating homosexuality. Some will say it's a sign of the Antichrist. Some will blame the reptilians. Some will blame the jews. Some will blame the bilderbergers.
I prefer to blame it on the time travelling nazi vampire lesbian mormons from Beta Centauri. How come we never hear about them? It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy.

Those frikken time travelling nazi vampire lesbian mormons from Beta Centari are always behind the most nefarious of plans. They're the ones who will probably be behind the new taxes.

Originally posted by rasalhague
So one could perhaps, using a little thing called sommon sense, draw the conclusion that this thing isn't anything new to earth.

By the way, you are correct in the Elites building bunkers. Why wouldn't we, since we have the money to survive a global catastrophe and you don't

There's nothing better than sommon sense to figure things out.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Air (including CO2) is transparent to these frequencies of light and allows them to pass through.

Nitrogen and oxygen (as well as many of the trace gases such as carbon dioxide) are transparent to such short wavelengths. Water vapor is not (hence clouds cast shadows).

Just sayin'...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Ok, so the main question would be, “how does this effect me?” Given the data, the last time this happened was in 1967. So first let’s begin with weather.

www.islandnet.com...

www.crh.noaa.gov...

www.wunderground.com...

www.fairview.ws...

Next earthquakes:

en.wikipedia.org...:1967_earthquakes

Next natural disasters:

en.wikipedia.org...:1967_natural_disasters

Yes some crazy stuff happened in 1967. Still nothing way out of the ordinary. So nothing to truly worry about, assuming history repeats itself.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just to play the devil's advocate. Considering the amount of ice meltage world wide and "dirty snow" (not saying global warming is corrrect). Wouldn't less radiation as a whole be reflecting into the atmosphere, therefore creating higher temperatures and a faster melting rate?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Water vapor is transparent to visible light and thus invisible. Clouds are composed droplets of water (condensed water vapor).

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

That is one of the myriad of variables involved with global climate. Taken on a simplistic level, yes. But it is not simple, there are a gazillion other factors involved.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

It's those damn kids with their damn blue spiral machines. They wait until
dark, and the neighbors are all asleep...

There are essentially two reasons that I read ATS.

One is that it is usually the best source for breaking and alternative news.

The other is for posts like this one.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Incoming solar radiation heats the surface of the Earth. This radiation is of mostly short wavelengths, visible light, near and mid infrared. Air (including CO2) is transparent to these frequencies of light and allows it to pass through.

When the heated surface begins to cool at night it is the result of the heat being radiated but the radiated energy is at much longer wavelengths (far infrared), wavelengths for which CO2 and other "greenhouse gasses" are not transparent. This is the radiation which gets trapped in the atmosphere.

Okau that makes sense! I had never thought of it like that, thanks.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Not saying I'm psychic or anything, but I called it.
I thought something was funny.

Last post
7/10/2010 @ 11:54 PM
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/16/2010 by reticledc]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The scientists may be puzzled, but I doubt they've lost a second of sleep due to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
they surely are not helping matters though?
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Something quite not right?Again!
Firefighters today extinguished a fire that raged for more than 15 hours after two oil pipeline exploded at a Chinese port.
Smoke poured into the sky as a switch error meant that one of the oil pipes could not be turned off

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

GLOBAL WARMING thats the answer for everything science related that people love to use nowadays its just amazing ... and if nobody said it already, they will blame global warming soon!

Yes, that is because global warming IS producing the very changes and record setting anomalies predicted by scientists. Deal with it people. Global warming is real regardless of your ideological motivated arguments to deny it. Remember the mission is to DENY IGNORANCE? I have seen nothing but the opposite with ATS folks when it comes to climate change.

Note: Scientists are not adamant that increased CO2 is causing this, but it is a reasonable hypothesis thus far, and to deny that out of hand because of anti climate change bias is ridiculous.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Van Allen Belt's being Grounded to the Earth recently... (Repeatedly)

You know... decreasing the total "Density" of the Electron Belts and all.

-Edrick

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsup
reply to post by Faiol

GLOBAL WARMING thats the answer for everything science related that people love to use nowadays its just amazing ... and if nobody said it already, they will blame global warming soon!

Yes, that is because global warming IS producing the very changes and record setting anomalies predicted by scientists. Deal with it people. Global warming is real regardless of your ideological motivated arguments to deny it. Remember the mission is to DENY IGNORANCE? I have seen nothing but the opposite with ATS folks when it comes to climate change.

Note: Scientists are not adamant that increased CO2 is causing this, but it is a reasonable hypothesis thus far, and to deny that out of hand because of anti climate change bias is ridiculous.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by whatsup]

I can't speak for anyone else, but imho global warming exists. It's just the way it's being thrown in our faces all the time, TPTB wants to put fear in us all because "we" are causing it. So they suppress third world countries from developing and make more money off taxes.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
reply to post by Pauligirl

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Van Allen Belt's being Grounded to the Earth recently... (Repeatedly)

You know... decreasing the total "Density" of the Electron Belts and all.

-Edrick

Probably not, since it's completelly different mechanisms behind the Van Allen belt and the thermosphere. But what do you mean with "Van Allen Belt's being Grounded to the Earth recently... (Repeatedly)" Where did you read that?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Its probably due to a huge release of methane gas coming from the gulf of Mexico oil leak ,that has caused this collapse. So I blame BP then I blame BP for everything now

haha, I was thinkin the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join