It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought controlled video games.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Scientists at Washington University in St. Louis, MO have attached electrodes to human subject's brains, who then were able, with a modicum of training, to control a computer cursor, and then a simple video game, by thought alone.

The story as reported by Reuters is here.

Amazing. I knew that it was theoretically possible. Now, what remains to be done is extensive, but I have no doubt that it will be possible to control any number of things by thought. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by Ouizel]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ya, I thought that it was interesting as well. Guess no one else did.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yeah, lets expand on the brain rotting video game
im kidding i play lots of video games but i really do think that this is to much I have never liked the idea never will, it dosn't appeal to me and im 14

I do though think that if this becomes more sophisticated, video games will lose their place in the world.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by thegreat59]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
While that may be true, I think that this technology could easily be used for controlling many different things, like remote-piloted vehicles, cars, regular airplanes, household appliances, computers and programs, etc. The applications for conversion of thought into controlling input for computers are nearly endless. How about eliminating the keyboard and mouse as input devices? Just slip a hat on and think away! For me, since I'm a songwriter, I know that I'd lose fewer songs if I could think them into a computer as opposed to manually recording, since the latter method tends to cause the sound in my head to get distorted before it's set in a repeatable form.

What I really can't believe is that people aren't more interested in this technology.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yup, read it, very interesting article. I disagree with the 14 year old, as this will only enhance and further create a unique environment in which video games are created. There are many practical uses for something like this in everyday life as well...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
this sounds cool, but dont sign me up for it, at least not untl they can do it without going into my skull, i dont care how much better it will make me at halo, i dont want little electronic devices inside my head unless i need them there. this seems almost too much like the matrix.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Oswald let me give you an example as how this technology could hurt the video game industry. Lets say a game in the fighting genre was made with this technology combos and such will now be thought instead of be skillfully
executed with your fingers it will be to easy, but you do have a point concerning puzzle games in which this technology could help boost sales.

We as a society are lazy enough household appliances and everyday chores made EVEN easier by this would make our society even more sedementery than it already is I still wouldn't feel comfortable with appliances being fitted with that.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by thegreat59]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, If I could wake up in the morning, put on a hat, and think-start the coffee pot, turn on the shower, and get the main computer downloading the day's news, it wouldn't necessarily make me lazy. It would, however, make me more efficient. And, for cars, the reaction time, using thought to activate brakes electronically, is much shorter than when you'd use muscle and bone to activate brakes mechanically. Fewer accidents. Of course, by then, I'd expect to have cars that could drive themselves, taking people out of the driving business, which would be much safer than relying on bubba or bubbette to actually do something as sane as pay attention to what they're doing behind the wheel of their pick-up.

Sorry, that last is a pet peeve of mine.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I read this study about a primate they fitted these electrodes too. They put him in a room with a monitor and a joystick. THe monitor showed a robot arm.. they then showed the primate the joystick controlled the arm. In reality the arm was reading the stimulous of the electrodes when the primate played with the stick. Their plan was to eventualy get rid of the joy stick.. but the monkey got the better of them when he stopped using the stick all by himself while happily playing with the robot arm.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hey, UnusualMe, do you have a link to that study?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
i dont think this was the original place i saw it.. but it's the same study

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
on a somewhat related note i remember hearing a long time ago about brain contolled movies... they would work like those books where you turn to a certain page after making a certain choice... but you wouldn't consciously make the choice.. the movie would react to stimulous picked up by a monitor attached to the finger.. like a lie detector

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Excellent. Thank you.

This technology has immense promise. I wonder why more people don't find it interesting. I think it's fascinating, and I hope that we'll see practical applications of it soon.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Wow this would be very cool technology. If you combine this with virtual reality and online multiplayer games think how cool the game would be.

[edit on 19-6-2004 by cpr12r]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Beyond cool. Way beyond cool. Even if it's just developed as a game controller, it would be a boon. Now, as has been stated before, it would eliminate thumb dexterity as a factor in playing video games, but I still don't see that as a problem.

Not to mention other things, like think-typing, and data entry. Neat stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
there was also a documentary i saw on computer vision. here is an article on it

www.sfgate.com.../chronicle/archive/2000/01/17/MN93479.DTL

basically.. and again using electrodes.. they can make the blind see.. not very well yet.. the scene is very pixalated.. but one day it won't be and then? will our brains be our computer monitors.. with a field of vision and color depth only limited by our biological cut offs

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This type of technology is advancing, and fairly rapidly, at that. I think that it bears watching. Thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
We are becoming so used to technology.. and so reliant on our little toys that I don't see cybernetics as something that would recieve much of a fight.

I swear I'll be 90 years old.. all wired up and playing video games

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yes i agree with you all BUT
the potential for misuse of this tech is F***ing enormous
as for goverment putting wires in my brain.....HELL NO!
wouldnt do that ever

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathDenton
Yes i agree with you all BUT
the potential for misuse of this tech is F***ing enormous
as for goverment putting wires in my brain.....HELL NO!
wouldnt do that ever

But, would they give you a choice?

As we spiral further towards an Orwellian society, the application of this sort of control will become the norm. It may not happen in our lifetime, but I have no doubt that the powers that be will gain complete control over us at some point in the future. Could this technology be used for making us do things? I mean, could the electrodes be controlled remotely to prompt physical behaviour? If not, why? It seems logical to think that if it works one way, why not the other. Scary.

Grey Pilgrim

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join