It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A theory on time travel into the past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I have a theory on how it might be possible to travel backward through time. It is not an entirely new theory but some aspects might be.

It is one of my theories that the galaxy is in constant motion, and all of the stars are currently in motion as is our sun, so our earth wasn’t always revolving in the place it is now, could have even been another star where our current sun is, and maybe even some kind of magnetic disturbance where our satellites currently orbit.

I had to partially explain that part in order for the next part to make any sense.

What if we have a space station circling our planet that has equipped on it an artificial gravity generator on board? Now what would happen if that generator blew up at precisely the same spot that the magnetic disturbance in history was causing a second magnetic disturbance? Could it create a wormhole into the past?

This was a theory I was going to write A sci-fi story on originally, but I found after writing it, I am more the short story type of writer; the whole thing is barely 10 pages. I just wondered how sound my theory really was.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
if you think of the universe as being flat being able to go back in time seems possible. but when you think of the universe in 3 dimensions it doesnt make sense. imagine a bullet travelling through space infinitely forward. that bullet is the sun, and imagine the planes revolving around it vertically while also traveling forward. this forward motion would actually be an infinite spiral never crossing the same path twice. when you think of the universe in this manner you see you can probably never go back in time, as even traveling the speed of light you can never move fast enough to go back to the earths position even 1 day ago. anyone know the speed the sun moves through the galaxy? the speed the galaxy moves through the universe? the speed at which the universe is expanding? i think the universe is one big black hole and we are in the event horizon. we will never escape it and therefore never move back in time. time isnt even a real thing. without clocks concept of time wouldn't exist.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Explanation: S&F! [for being creative]

I like what I read... BUT if feel entropy [i.e a tendecy towards disorder etc.] would work on the wormhole opening that is carried in the present, which would be the immediate doorway to the other anchored in the past end of the wormhole. This entropy effect [if I can call it that?
] would IMO act to close the wormhole opening in the present and would therefor only allow travel into the past for the duration that the wormhole in the present remained open.

Personal Disclosure: Hmmm maybe the wormhole in the present could be chocked open with say a small triangular wedge of Untropy [

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
No need for a space station to create a worm hole.
We have been traveling through time for decades...
en.wikipedia.org...

and that was only the beginning.
That is why our civilization is the way it is today.
TPTB have traveled through time, altered our history to be in it's present state.
Occasionally they have fluked and left remnants behind, such as batteries...
www.world-mysteries.com...
The sightings of "ancient astronauts" are actually our present day "explorers" for lack of a better phrase.
Can I prove it? NO..
But since time is not linear, I'm far more inclined to believe my theory over aliens coming from a far away galaxy. If anything, they are traveling through the worm holes of their own dimension in time and space.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by abcddcbatime isnt even a real thing. without clocks concept of time wouldn't exist.

Why do you say that? Yes, it would. Matter decays. It decayed before anyone invented the first hourglass or sundial. We are all getting older. People got older before the aforesaid hourglass and sundial. Time passes. Time exists.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
some of the best Sc-fi righters started with short stories. mostly because that is what the radio shows wonted. look at them now.

as for gravity, scientists have No idea what it is. and light and magnetism. lots of other things to. in science news recently said gravity does not exist? it was the news or the mag "new scientist".

www.abovetopsecret.com...
weeklyworldnews.com...
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
decay, just another word to describe breaking down into smaller pieces. the small pieces just keep getting smaller they never stop being.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by abcddcba

I do not believe that you would be able to have a time machine on earth and go back in time for the reason that you stated, but in my original topic post, I explained that the event was instead in space and even explained that the original event was where it would be above the earth now but that the earth was more than likely in a different place from where it is now.

The space station antigravity generator exploding or whatever causing the wormhole connection would have been an accident, and created the connection to the past. Though you would arrive in the past, you would not be above the earth but possibly near another celestial body entirely, because who knows what could have been where the earth is now that far into the past?

I would assume also that the wormhole would not continue to survive after the explosion, most likely it would draw in anything close by and than disappear after the whole event was over, stranding in the past anything or anyone that was along for the ride.

As far as time existing without clocks, where the phrase time may not have existed, the idea of past present and future was very much alive before clocks. Tribes would talk “many moons ago”, which would be the past. Tribes would also say to get some place would take “many moons” as well, which would be future.

[edit on 7/16/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I do not expect it to be able to be used as a continuing means to travel through time, more of a one shot deal, and it more than likely would be by accident, and close once the event was finished.

It would more than likely suck any escaping craft, satellites, space trash into itself, be a one way trip stranding anything and anyone that went for the ride in the past. There is also no guarantee that any humans along for the ride would survive such a trip, though in my original story they did, or it would not have been much of a story.

You would not be able to get off at any point you wanted to, you would only be at either end of the wormhole, which would be the opposite end from which you have entered. Depending on how celestial objects rotate or move around, there is no guarantee how close or far away from earth you would now be.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I have given up on writing for now, until I can take some writing classes to help expand my 10 page short story into a novel if it is even possible, it is possible that the story in itself is only a 10 page story. Also since I am 36 have two extremely young children, this may never come to pass, and may have to turn over the story to my kids when they are older to see what they can do with it.

I have heard many explanations for what gravity is or thought to be. I have not read your links yet but I do intend to give them my full attention this weekend.

One of my favorite theories on gravity is that it is a combination of effects; the material the planet or celestial body is made up of combined with magnetism (also having to do with what the planet or celestial body is made of) and centrifugal force (not just the centrifugal force of the object spinning itself but the other objects that spin with it as well as what it spins around).

The centrifugal force aspect takes in to count such things that the sun itself is spinning and moving, Each planet is caught in the sun’s centrifugal force and is also spinning causing it’s own centrifugal force, which effects the other planets and meteors and such. Each planet that has a moon is caught in it’s place by the centrifugal force of it’s planet, and some have their own spin, even our moon although to us it looks static is rotating. The Material the planet made of also aids in how strong the centrifugal force is which also can cause some of its material to have magnetic properties as well. With all of these things in motion, gravity is created.

The above is not my theory, and unfortunately I don’t remember the source and because of this it is not a direct quote so I may be misrepresenting some of it, but I think you can ascertain the idea.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I have looked into this as well; as it was one of the reasons I started my story in the first place. IT was actually looking into this that I cam across ATS in the first place.

This interested me extremely, but there are as many arguments against as there are for the stories. The ones against do make much more sense than the ones for, which I really wish was the other way around, because it would make our past that much more interesting not that it isn’t interesting the way it was, just interesting in a different way.

top topics

join