It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Co-op to be first UK store to introduce 'contactless' swipe cards to pay for goods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Co-op to be first UK store to introduce 'contactless' swipe cards to pay for goods

www.dailymail.co.uk

The Co-operative is to become the first major food retailer to use contactless payment, it was announced today.
Customers will be able to pay for purchases of £15 or less without using a Pin in the majority of the chain's stores by the 2012 Olympics if a trial is successful.
Customers will swipe a card over a terminal similar to the Oyster system used on the London Underground.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hmmmm.... looks like the next step towards being chipped is on the way... soon there will be no cash to buy goods so what will you/we do?

TBH i've always prefered to pay with cash as it's much quicker than using a card... i've had to wait in queue's for longer than expected just so someone can first of all find their card and then type in their pin numbers...

Still, i really don't want to be chipped to be able to live...

Imagine people trying to cut out your chip in order to get fed... hmmmm.... sounds lie something i've seen in Films... also reminds me of 'Demolition Man' where you had those living in the underground and those living above ground.... damn.... this scenario is getting real close

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-7-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

God i hate co-op over priced deer and crap food.
gives me another reason to avoid it, I can't believe that people actually pay their prices!!

there's no way co-ops going to get a faster buck outta me!!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't like the idea simply because you could easily become a victim to a pickpocket who could then use the card to buy up plenty of fags, tobacco or booze in multiple shops without needing your PIN.

Stupid idea. I have a Barclaycard but have refused a card with this technology, makes theives lives to easy.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Nope, you need to remember something. While chips are convenient they require dedicated 24/7 power sources. There are still many places on this planet that do not have such things.

This is also a misrepresentation of technology. RFID is passive. You would have to drop readers on top of readers on top of readers to get the effect you speak of. Then you have security issues. It is very unlikely we will stop using cash until these issues are sorted out. Even then, I don't see it being phased out until we get to the point where we know the lights will never turn off. When the power goes out, there can be no purchases. Either way what's described here is actually old technology. It's hooked up to a bank account. It's redundant in a way. They still take cash too.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This sort of reminds me of a technology theory that I heard about some time ago. I cant seem to find anything on it right now, but here is the premise.
All containers in a shopping center (not just markets) would have a very small emitter tag. You load up your basket and head to checkout. Rather than lay every item out on a belt, you just keep walking ahead and through a reader, similar to a metal detector. The reader grabs all of the emitter codes and tallies up your bill. Then you simply pass a keyfob over a pad, similar to what some gas stations have, pick up up your receipt and keep on walking.

I think that tech was scrapped because at the time the emitters could not be cheaply made in mass quantities. However, imagine how much time you would save checking out if this is all you had to do. And imagine how easy it would be for a thief to just slip something into your cart and then steal it from you in the parking lot.

As described, technology is a double edged sword. There will always be people who revel in it and just as many that seek a way to abuse it.
As to the card in the OP, I think the same can be said.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I would'nt worry too much Truth cos the chips are still quite a way off, well at least I hope so !!

The world is going to have to face some major challenges ahead with food and water shortages and problems with oil and power supplies, not to mention extreme climate mayhem as well.

I honestly believe the overpopulation problem, with unsustainable resources will be on such a scale that the idea of microchipping the population will become very low priority !!

Anyway, whatever happens I'm not having one.....

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My new bank card had that chip in it.

I didn't want to get my identiy stolen or my accounts raped by some techy pickpocket so I took a hammer and nail and blew the chip out.

Now there's a little hole in my card. Once in a while a cashier will ask why there's a hole in it and I get to explain the risks of walking around broadcasting all of your banking info.

You can see where the chip is by a slight dent in the card. Bits of metal like foil when you've smashed it can confirm the chip.

I don't need to be broadcasting my banking info nat the very least I don't need to subject myself to more waves and frequencies.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
From this...

Customers will swipe a card over a terminal similar to the Oyster system used on the London Underground.

To this...

Imagine people trying to cut out your chip in order to get fed

or
I don't know.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Mike_A]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sod them all.

Forget the 'convenience' - go and support your local community by buying what you need from local bakers, butchers, grocers, farmers markets.

The way these corporate bastards have 'control' over you is by making YOU feel like their is no alternative.

Sod them, shop locally - this is why i believe many UK towns are plummeting into decline - because the local economies are being drained by these multi-million pound parasites.

It's about time we all made a conscious decision to avoid the so called convenient option and start thinking outside the box. The only way to support the few businesses left is by spending our money wisely and refusing to contribute to the temple of exploitive consumerism.

www.amazon.co.uk...

^^ Incidentally check out the link to a book called 'How to be free' - which i'm currently reading. It mentions the philosophies involved in how we are subject to control via the corporates - and in a nutshell it's ourselves that are slaves to ourselves. We're too afraid to break out of our comfort blankets.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Isn't the Co-op one of the more ethical stores though?

When compared to the Master of the High Temple of Shopping that is Tesco, they are positiviely angelic!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Isn't the Co-op one of the more ethical stores though?

When compared to the Master of the High Temple of Shopping that is Tesco, they are positiviely angelic!

Yes you're quite right. But then what are the options?

Which is the lesser of two evils?

I still say shop locally - and encourage friends and family to do so
- We can still be ethical by ourselves - just a little bit of research is needed.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

ok... sometimes my imagination gets the better of me

But you know what's happening?

They are implementing ways in which we won't need to do anything to buy goods.... i.e type, so the next stage s 'ok, so now we have them able to buy goods without need ing use their fingers to type' right, this tech works'... ' now lets get onto the next project of incorporaating this code into a chip which we'll then introduce slowly by getting rid of bank cards' etc etc ..... do you see where thiis leads?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

You're right, over-population is a going to be a major issue here.... i was reading a report in 'the mail' the other day where estimates are like 72mil in England by 2050... how the hell are people going to be living on this small island in 2050? It's already bad enough....

I bet they'll still find ways to implement this chip though.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Oh I'm sure they will find ways to implement it, I'm sure it's high on the "control the peasants" agenda !!

But the implementation costs would be quite high, and lets face it, we are bankrupt as a country so I think we're probably safe for quite a while....

Look at identity cards for example !!
Did they happen in the end....nope

Its all down to cash baby, and guess what ?? We ain't got any !!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I agree totally with your sentiment about local shops and local produce.

However, nitpicking........you start your post with a phrase about "these corporate bastards" and then inlcude a link to a book purchased through Amazon?!?!?

Again, agree totally with the fact that we our slaves to our own greed effectively.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am in America.

Our bank cards can be used at the terminal as debit or credit. If you use it as debit you have to enter your pin. If you choose to use it as credit, you do not.

It's a nice convenience, not to have to use your pin. Just swipe and be done with it. It's been like that for the last 10 years or so.

It's not that big of a deal. The whole camera on every street corner, and government banning certain clothing is more concerning in regards to the things in the UK in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It will not take long for a hacker to build a reader that only needs to be near you to read the card.
Then the hacker just needs to go to the store and transmit your information to use your money.

Some gas station and stores in the US already use this card. and a number of people are now taking steps to combat this.
www.idstronghold.com...

You don't need this product to stop the card from being read by making a pouch with aluminum foil in it to cover the card you can block it.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
The whole camera on every street corner, and government banning certain clothing is more concerning in regards to the things in the UK in my opinion.

Really? What UK is this you're on about?

Camera on every street corner and banning certain clothes? I would be interested to see if you could cite any source or whether this is just the same tired old rubbish trotted out to "prove" the UK is a Police State that never actually holds up under scrutiny.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101

I agree totally with your sentiment about local shops and local produce.

However, nitpicking........you start your post with a phrase about "these corporate bastards" and then inlcude a link to a book purchased through Amazon?!?!?

Again, agree totally with the fact that we our slaves to our own greed effectively.

Haha you're quite right, the irony isn't lost on me - but i was using amazon as a link to advertise a book and was added in as an 'edit'. If you really want to read that book then dare i suggest you order it for free from your local library or steal it from any giant retailer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join