It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea deploys robot capable of killing intruders along border with North

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

South Korea deploys robot capable of killing intruders along border with North

www.telegraph.co.uk

South Korea has deployed sentry robots capable of detecting and killing intruders along the heavily-fortified border with North Korea, officials said on Tuesday.

Two robots with surveillance, tracking, firing and voice recognition systems were integrated into a single unit, a defence ministry spokesman said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Interesting piece of news. The article notes that South Korea has been experimenting with miliary robotics at least in part due to its falling birthrate and worries about future miliarty manpower, which adds an interesting sociological wrinkle to the technological and political implications.

The only thing that remains is for Skynet to become self-aware, after 13 years of remaining behind schedule...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The new face of war is showing itself. Once Pyongyang sees this tech, they will soon try to copy it.

Pics plz?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Enf0rc3r

Sticking a NK soldier in a tin can armed with a gun and laser pointer does not make it a robotic sentry.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

South Korea is part of the Western empire, they don't need to worry about birth rates, the empire will protect its territory, even if it means killing the indigenous people of that territory to gain that objective.

This scenario is just a real life test for these robotics.

The Western empire has been experimenting, but has not tested these weaponaries in real world situation, S-N Korea is the best place to install them.

Very interesting indeed..

I sound like a retard when I say indeed loudly lol zzzz

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It would be cool if they looked like daleks from Dr Who ' exterminate exterminate!'

With Britains new unmanned jet powered plane with bombing capabilities and with the robots in south korea, maybe the next world war wont be fought with humans at all

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hell, we could use some of those on our border here in the U.S.

I know I know, we are America, we have different standards than the rest of the world. But I dont see anything else working at the moment.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Enf0rc3r

i found something better than pics

this was posted 3 years ago, i expect the one they're deploying to be a lot better than this.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I wonder if the software allows it to be left on a 'kill indescriminately within a 200 yard radius' setting ?

It seems to me it would be very easy to destroy one of these things no matter how good its detection and tracking is simply because it cant shoot in two directions at once.

This 'amazing technology' would in reality only be effective against baboons, and even then they would get the better of it in five minutes or less. drop in above it, creep up on it from behind..etc.etc.

maybe mounted on buildings these things might have some use but trying to make them mobile for proper military applications is just daft. they'd be great fun for paintball, thats about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
lets get some of these on the Mexican border ,and as far as just keeping you from getting snuck up on it seems useful or at least as good as a dog for getting some warning of a impending attack

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Empire this, Empire that.

Wait until the Empire strikes back.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

You realize it has a 2 mile tracking system. It has both high optic cameras and night vision cameras, most likely thermal cameras on it with the new models? You would be surprised how accurate these things are as well.

It can't shoot two places at once? It doesn't need to. It can hit a moving target in the head with no problem. You underestimate technology far too greatly.

BTW, anyone who bought samsung products, congratulation on supporting the engineering of these automated turrets, as they are the ones who built it. 200k in dollars a piece, pretty cheap, gotta love samsung.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So they need a robot to do the dirty work? Would the effects be lethal and painless? Or would the results be a slow and agonizing death of the victim, unfortunately enough to stumble across forbidden territory?

Question is: What type of `projectile` is being used to fire against intruders? Sound? Laser? Bullets? Missiles? Flamethrowers?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
They already have some of those installed... I think it was on the border too..

Anyway I remember a few months ago or is it years... this kind of robots went nuts and started firing in all direction... the only thing that stopped it is because it ran out of bullets.

I think 3 people died or something like that.

This kind of technology could start a war unintentionally if something like that happens again and start attacking North Korean positions because of a malfunction.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Do we have a source for that?
I'd like to read up on it please.
Thanks in advance

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Why can't Koreans keep their country together? I think it's shameful their country is split in half like that. Even Germany is considered a whole now. someone must be giving the Koreans bad advice...hmmm.....

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

To my understanding it is a gun using 5.5mm ammo, it's a type of small caliber ammunition. It's not the kind of lethality you would expect, though it is in line with the defense idea behind it.

As far as defense is concerned you want to see the enemy far away, but only shoot if they come in close enough.

Unfortunately it also allows for easier counter-operations against the device. I would start to worry when they make these things equipped with NATO rounds.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wouldn't happen, unless there was an unintentional or intentional failure of software. The software of this device is meant to detect enemies from up to 2 miles away. Upon detection, a person is altered and takes control of the turret. They are the ones deciding to fire or not. The current software does not allow for the turret to fire on target of their own...officially.

That doesn't mean it can't be programmed or hacked to fire indiscriminately, just that what they are programmed to do now, doesn't allow it.

They are just really efficient motion detectors with a built on small caliber machine gun remotely accessed. Officially, it's to keep people out of harms way if the situation proves to be dangerous.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

I didn't know about this. But I'm sure there was an incident earlier, I don't remember exactly when, a robot in South Korea, I think it was on a SKorean military base, started firing and killing people, it stopped when it ran out of bullets.

Since you say it's impossible for it to fire by itself, it's probably another model.

Sorry to everyone but I can't find a source. But I remember it clearly. If someone else does, please confirm.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before someone gets that idea in D.C. Radio Shack might just get reaaaaal busy this week.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join