It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First your SUV's now your AC.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

In a country that's among the world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers. The energy required to air-condition American homes and retail spaces has doubled since the early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases, which raises global temperatures, which creates a need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.

Demonizing SUV's was easy. Demonizing Air Conditioning is going to be a lot tougher.

Guess this idiot didn't get the message that Global Warming was thoroughly debunked by the scientists that were pushing it.

These type of people just can't stand prosperity. Life is only fair if everyone is equally miserable. These type of self-righteous people make me sick.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I guess this Administration has not got the memo
regarding global warming taking place on all of the in our
Solar System. How could that be? Does this mean that fossil
fuels are also being used throughout our solar system?

More lies and deception, any warming trend being experienced now is a phenomenon of nature and cycles of our precious life giving sun. Just leave it up to Democrats/liberals/progressives/environmental hacks to take every opportunity to enact or push for restrictions.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
All the new legislation coming out of the leftwing white house and the leftwing congress will create massive buracratic induced greenhouse gases for many generations to come. More buracratic government up our collective butts, yeah! That sould bring freedom and prosperity to an end. Karl Marx would be proud.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

In a country that's among the world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers. The energy required to air-condition American homes and retail spaces has doubled since the early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases, which raises global temperatures, which creates a need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.

Demonizing SUV's was easy. Demonizing Air Conditioning is going to be a lot tougher.

Guess this idiot didn't get the message that Global Warming was thoroughly debunked by the scientists that were pushing it.

These type of people just can't stand prosperity. Life is only fair if everyone is equally miserable. These type of self-righteous people make me sick.

Being an AC and Heating technician for 16 years I can say this is 100% Bunk.

It was claimed that the refrigerant 'Freon' was harming the Ozone layer with it's cfc's and suddenly Freon was very expensive.. you had to use freon reclaiming units to capture the freon instead of leaking it into the air like we always did when we changed out a unit.

It was just a way for Government to regulate another industry and make money off of it.

It was known back then ( mid 80's) Methane from cow dung and mosquitoes causes the same effects ( it was claimed) and were hundreds of times stronger in the atmosphere than Freon was.

The statement that the AC burns fossil fuels is 100 % untrue.

An AC unit residential or commercial does not work like that. They do not 'burn' anything but recycle refrigerant through a closed system that picks up the heat from your house and deposits the heat outside.. leaving you left over with what you feel is cold air. It literally conditions the air by removing heat.. not makes it colder.

Nothing is burned at all.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

The solar system warming up thing has been debunked so many times. Time to play catch up with real news.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

And what powers the electrictity that runs an AC unit?

Fossil fuels.

Which is why we are starting to get blackouts during heat waves because everyone has the AC cranked, sucking up energy.

C'mon people.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by prionace glauca

The solar system warming up thing has been debunked so many times. Time to play catch up with real news.

Says who? Michael Mann or any of the Climate Gate scientists?

National Geographic

Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Funny at the end 2005 is when Gore started making more headwind into phony global warming prophetic ways.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It is frickin' ~HOT~ !

With the recent heat wave we've had hear in the Northeast with several days at 100+ degrees which is unheard of up here, I am very suspect of the so called "debunking" of global warming.

At least where I live, I personally haven't experienced temperatures dropping but instead are rising.

As a matter of fact, I now ride my motorcycle thru the 1st week of December which is when we would have had our first significant snowfall in the past.

If things were cooling then why is A/C usage on the increase ?

As time goes on we WILL require more and more electricity regardless.

Not from just air conditioning but also all the electrical gizmos we need to have in our homes now.

I mean, just look at the popularity of large HD flat screen televisions and the increase of computers of american households alone.

Perhaps its time to rethink the way in which we are generating power in order to meet the increase in demand instead of hating on those that use this commodity ?

Because Burning fossil fuels isn't the solution here .... and I can't wait and look forward to the day in which I can get off the power grid.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I don't know what part of the NorthEast you are in, but here in Philadelphia we had snow up until the last few days of May. Snow in the last few days of May, now that is unheard of. New Jersey had a mini blizzard in March, followed by another icy mass known as hail in June.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

These type of people just can't stand prosperity

Prosperity for whom?

You do realize that vast majority of the world gets on just fine with out AC right?

I believe climate change is a natural cycle that our planet has gone through countless times in its history.

However, it is still our responsibility to be good stewards of our planet. The last hundred years we have wrecked havoc on our enviornment through our careless greed, our constant need to have stuff that we don't really need. For anyone to deny that our addiction to fossil fuels has caused damage to the enviornment is the height of ignorence.

Prosperity is fine, but consumption on this scale is damaging ALL of us.

It's high time we learned to curb some of our greed and hunger for useless crap for the good of everyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by Carseller4

Being an AC and Heating technician for 16 years I can say this is 100% Bunk.

It was claimed that the refrigerant 'Freon' was harming the Ozone layer with it's cfc's and suddenly Freon was very expensive.. you had to use freon reclaiming units to capture the freon instead of leaking it into the air like we always did when we changed out a unit.

It was just a way for Government to regulate another industry and make money off of it.

It was known back then ( mid 80's) Methane from cow dung and mosquitoes causes the same effects ( it was claimed) and were hundreds of times stronger in the atmosphere than Freon was.

The statement that the AC burns fossil fuels is 100 % untrue.

An AC unit residential or commercial does not work like that. They do not 'burn' anything but recycle refrigerant through a closed system that picks up the heat from your house and deposits the heat outside.. leaving you left over with what you feel is cold air. It literally conditions the air by removing heat.. not makes it colder.

Nothing is burned at all.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

while the actual AC unit itself does not burn anything other than coolant, the power requiresd to eun the AC most likley came from a coal burning power plant. That is what they are referencing regarding the burning of fossil fuels increasing with increased AC usage.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
People do understand that the simple economics of this would be disasterous, right?

Code-orange days mean offices are closed. Shorter summer business hours and month-long closings -- common in pre-air-conditioned America -- return.

So who is going to foot the bill for lost productivity? Are we going to make up the short days in the winter time? Who pays the employees fixed expenses like mortgages and car payments while they make less money for shorter hours?

When businesses stop being competitive on a global scale because they are shuttered what happens? The world starts turning to other countries and other companies for their needs. Business continues to decline.

Plus we have to consider the loss of income to HVAC companies, service companies, and even electricians.All of this would eventually lead to unemployment rising in those sectors.

Homeowners from Ward 8 to the Palisades pry open double-hung windows that were painted shut decades ago. In the air-conditioned age, fear of crime was often cited by people reluctant to open their homes to night breezes. In Washington, as in most of the world's warm cities, window grilles (not "bars," please) are now standard.

Well if these people would replace their old windows with new viynl windows they might not need bars. New windows have "night latches" to prevent people from prying open your windows. Vinyl windows would also help with energy cost. They are actually much better at insulating than old wood and single pane windows of the past.

Families unplug as many heat-generating appliances as possible.

So, who wants to be the first to unplug their TV, computer, radio, and fridge?

Yes even your fridge is a heat causing device. That means you might want to turn it off. It is okay though you can just go to the market everyday for fresh food. Lord knows you wouldn't rather spend that hour with your kids or reading a book. That is right, you have all the free time you need because your company has shut down for the week. Of course now you just have to find the money for food. Your company probably didn't pay you for that week they shuttered the place.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And what powers the electrictity that runs an AC unit?

Fossil fuels.

Which is why we are starting to get blackouts during heat waves because everyone has the AC cranked, sucking up energy.

C'mon people.
Not saying that we don't burn any fossil fuels, but you didn't mention anything else that makes up the power on our electrical grid. Those would be:

!. Nuclear power.
2. Renewable combustible resources (wood, trash, methane)
3. Wind power.
4. Hydroelectric.
5. Solar.

ETA: The rolling blackouts during heat waves are not caused by reliance on fossil fuels, they are caused by the power companies not investing enough capital in their infrastructure.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
No way that'll fly here in Florida. No way. Even if it's true, then Floridians will just remain sinners feeling a bit guilty. This State had a miniscule population before the advent of air conditioning.

I mean, have you stepped outside lately?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hello! Here in South Carolina we have had 90degree F + temperatures for over two months. Some days my porch thermometer says 120 degrees F.
We are so hot we don't go out side in the middle of the day 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
This is our winter. My kids are bored this summer, it is too hot to go to camps. The beach hotels are sky high. The locals go to the beach after schools start. The airconditioning in the unstairs only cools the house down to 80 dgrees F until midnight. We don't sleep well it is so hot. Getting in the car is miserable, the steering wheel feels like touching an oven door.
My neighbor does the Geothermal Aircondioning. He uses his well water, and sends a small stream down through my front dip area. The animals like the water.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Doesn't AC's run with electricity?
So you have to burn something to make energy to power the units.

Just pointing the obvious, if by some reason people missed it.

Global warming instead, is indeed a natural cycle.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

If I'd been drinking something I would have done a spit-take. You might want to look up the science behind Climate Change, I assure you it has not been debunked. Sure there's a lot of unnecessary media hype and misrepresentation but way back behind that are the real scientists who have confirmed the reality of human produced greenhouse gases having a measured effect on the rate of warming.

As for air conditioning that's gonna be a tough sell especially with the number of ninety to a hundred degree days we've already had this summer (at least where I am).

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Global pollution heats up the planet, at least I hope you get it Americans.
2nd line

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

They need carbon taxes to fund the IMF/World Bank take over, just as they required income taxes to fund the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Interest doesn't pay itself you know.

By the way, BP is one of the major players pushing carbon taxes. They want carbon emissions regulated because such regulation gives them a major competitive advantage over their primary competition - coal.

They know people will always need energy sources, and they want that energy source to be oil and gas, not coal.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
@ cushycrux

Global pollution heats up the planet.

I hope you get it,
China
India
Indonesia
and
every other country on this earth that has CONSUMERS living in it!
BTW....

That includes Switzerland!

[edit on 13-7-2010 by butcherguy]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join