It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone considered we may be the most intelligent species in the Milky Way?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

no doubt we are on "restriction" until we are viable members of any society not of our own making...if there weren't such safeguards, then i don't think there would even be a universe!

i think it might be support for the notion that we are not alone, that we are still wondering if we are alone.

if that makes sense.

and if we were alone, surely we'd have done ourselves in already.
i'm sure of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The ENTIRE galaxy is devoid of intelligent life?

Maybe there is no intelligent life anywhere?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i'm only commenting on the Openning Post here, & haven't read through the entire thread, yet. so shoot me.

me

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

even if we are, and our future is more intelligent than we are, perhaps we would find a way to come back with at least a whisper or a shout from our future concerning our present, i think.

but i do not believe we are the most intelligent species around.

Hear me out:

I honestly don't think we, humanity, give ourselves enough credit. I mean we have personal transport machines (cars), personal global communicators (cell phones), anti gravity travel machines (planes), personal computing devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones), and many more instances of "high-tech" things we constantly take for granted.

according to our accepted history we first began using beasts of burden to transport from point a to point b around 6,000 bc.

fast forward 7,900 years to 1900 A.D. and we are still mostly dependent upon beasts of burden for personal travel.

7,900 years with horse drawn carriages or similiar type of transport.
1902 we "invent" flight.
67 years later we are walking on the moon.

interesting looking timeline. the only reason it makes sense is because there is no basis for comparison, it seems.

I think we deserve a lot more credit than we give ourselves.
We have absolutely no metric to gauge just how advanced we are as a civilization, because we only know of one technologically advanced species; ourselves. It is entirely probable we are the most advanced species in the galaxy, but I wouldn't dare apply that to the universe as, in earth metrics, the universe is near-infinite.

i entertain the idea we already live in a post-apocalyptic world, and that we may suffer some level of a species with amnesia, perhaps.

many aspects of our own pesonal history as a species seems to be hidden or a mystery, enigmatic.

What I speculate is more likely is that our galaxy is absolutely teeming with life, but not the kind of super-advanced life that is currently zipping around the galaxy in Alcubierre drives. Consider the movie Avatar. I know it's a movie, but the Na'Vi illustrate very well an intelligent form of life that has yet to evolve into a technologically advanced species. I think it's highly probable, given the possibility our own solar system has 4 examples of life on different planetary bodies (clouds of Venus, microbes on Mars, methane based microbes on Titan, and obviously earth), that almost every solar system in the galaxy has some kind or form of life, just not the kind that may get us overly excited, as our imaginations crave the familiarly sculpted little green men in tacky space suits.

some interesting ideas.

Try to see it how I do: Intelligent, technologically advanced lifeforms HAVE to be somewhat rare. Consider all the obstacles that species must endure to survive the necessary amount of time for proper evolution to occur.

i strongly agree that we may be underestimating our truest potentials, but only because we are misled to believe so by the lies we choose to believe.

If one were to assume this species has existed for a million years, it is logical to assume their numbers would be nearing the trillions. It seems likely we'd know them at this point in time, if they were out there combing the galaxy for resources.

or we are the resources they may be looking for, considering how much truisms we pack into our languages via codes and encryptions. seems to me we act like a universal translator think tank of some sort, based upon the evidence i have seen. Technologies may be beyond what the general public may be aware of, perhaps.

For me, to think this assumed species wouldn't announce themselves to the world in a grand fashion, but rather a small ship with few occupants that "secretly" meets with our government to form some treaty, well, seems entirely too forced.

i'm not so sure myself. no offense, but no world leaders seem to exist, just big mouths pointing the fingers at others or other causes.

That isn't to say, perhaps a wildly advanced species from another galaxy hasn't made the trip to us long ago in our infancy, to account for all the drawings and stories of higher powers that permeated our ancient existence. Perhaps this omnipotent race visited us, just for a short while, to give our species a little jumpstart to become what we are today.

i defer you to my avatar background image for some possible evidence of such an event.

I think it's entirely possible we underestimate what our species is capable of, and I think it's very possible humanity has much greater technology than what the common civilian (us) realizes. I think it's possible a lot of the better UFO cases can be tied to experiments of this technology, as others have speculated.

i believe we are forced by the laws to not only underestimate what our own species is capable of, but who it is we really may be and our true potentials as well.

some of my thoughts,
ET

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Humanity's great mistake is in thinking that we are "intelligent" at all.

Look at the Human species compared to any other species on the planet. Every other species lives in harmony with Nature, and natural selection determines which species survive or fall to extinction.

As it should be.

The Human species, however, only prolongs its survival by depleting and exhausting natural resources, polluting the air and water and wiping out flora and fauna for no good reason.

Why is a Human life more valuable than that of an insect? At least an insect serves a purpose in the scheme of Nature. Human beings do not. If we eliminated every insect on Earth right this moment, the biosphere would be hopelessly damaged, and practically all terrestrial Life would cease to exist within just a few years.

If we eliminated every Human right at this moment, Life on Earth would thrive as it hasn't done for thousands of years.

Why do we imagine ourselves as "intelligent" and "superior" when we can't even live in harmony with our own planet? If anything, Humans are the most retarded creatures to ever evolve on Earth. We are, by every definition of the word, PARASITES that serve no useful function.

And why do we imagine that extraterrestrial "intelligence" will be anything like Humanity's? Let us fekking PRAY that E.T. intelligence is NOT even remotely similar to Human intelligence — otherwise, we are are truly doomed when we finally encounter them.

I mean, if I was an extraterrestrial with slightly higher and yet comparable intelligence to a human being, the first thing I'd do is exterminate all Human life on Earth, as soon as I assessed its extreme toxicity to the planet.

The Earth would thank me.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Human intelligence is completely useless without a measure of wisdom to control it.

Most of Earth's population is enslaved by money, war or religion (three sides of the same coin), demonstrating that we truly lack any wisdom to deserve our alleged intelligence.

I don't care how intelligent ET is, provided that ET is a whole lot wiser than the human (disg)race.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by righteousxcore

We do actually use close to 90% of our brain matter just not all at the same time. Each part of the brain has its own task and is used when needed.

Occasionally some humans do use just about all their brain at once.....it's called an epileptic seizure!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
They say that dolphins rank number two compared to us..
I hear they can't get the oil out of their blow holes and are dying in the gulf almost as fast as they die in captivity.

Hmm, can't even clean themselves, doesn't sound too intelligent to me. Humans are still number 1!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

oh that hurts!

but at the same time, i can't argue a bit with anything you said.
it's true!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
What if we are the only species in existince with hands that work like they do. I am kind of drunk sorry about spelling.

What if they have hooks or gills, but are still more intelligent then us. How could they get off there planet?

IMO we need to think outside the box. There could be stuff out there that knows everything, but couldn't get off there planet. Infinite things that could/should exist. If the universe is infinite then we have infinite possibilities.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I mean, if I was an extraterrestrial with slightly higher and yet comparable intelligence to a human being, the first thing I'd do is exterminate all Human life on Earth, as soon as I assessed its extreme toxicity to the planet.

The Earth would thank me.

I find it's always best to lead by example.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Your post is dope and I am all for speculation since there isn't much else to do, but I think you don't give enough credit to the universe. The problem with speculation is the simple fact that we have no other way of basing our ideas without immediately reverting back to Earth as a means for comparison; which would be fine, but it is all we have and it is the downfall of said speculation.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by JerseyLegend]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Interesting thread SaosinEngaged, this sure made me think!

Originally posted by boondock-saint: if we're supposed to oversee the entire
outer space and we can't even take care
of our own. We're in serious

Being Human is not about being perfect. We have to deal with it, we have to face the consequences of an over populated world, capitalism and the lack of natural resources.
For example, we are breeding animals in very bad conditions just to eat them. As I said, this is very wrong but it had to be done if we wanted to continue living this way. IMHO we just have to think more about (better) solutions. Most people simply don't care.

[edit on 15/7/10 by Jeronimo]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There is a scale to measure our level of evolution;
Its called The Kardashev Scale.

The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring an advanced civilization's level of technological advancement.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

I'm not sure if I agree with you;

Then again you may be right, But I think maybe you're underestimating just how big our Galaxy REALLY is. With the amount of star systems in our galaxy there is a decent chance of an advanced civilization just as us, then there is an absence of any other advanced civilizations.

But who really knows in the end, you make some very good points.; But i'm not convinced just yet.

Star and Flag for you OP Nice thought train. =D

here's a few little videos with the scale of things.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Super Chubby]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If humans are the most intelligent creatures in the Milky Way, this experiment was a galactic failure.

[edit on 7/16/2010 by pjslug]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

The title says the milky way, not the universe. A century ago we weren't sure if there was any more of the universe outside the milky way, but today we know there are 200 billion other galaxies that could have more intelligent life than Earth even if Earth has the most intelligent life in the Milky Way.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

I don't believe we are and I certainly pray we aren't

If so, the Milky Ways days are numbered, because I guarantee you we'll find a way to set in on fire.

Somehow.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
The ENTIRE galaxy is devoid of intelligent life?
Maybe there is no intelligent life anywhere?

We might be the only game in town. There are all kinds of horrible things out there in the galaxy like gamma ray bursts that frequently scour vast portions of the galaxy clean of anything resembling life. We might just be lucky, out here in the galactic boondocks, to have had a few billion years to develop life while others didn't.

There's certainly no indication of life anywhere else. Some speculation, but no proof.

On the other hand, since we exist, and we move through time, and there may be some mini-wormholes we don't know about spreading life in all directions of time and space, the universe could be crawling with life. We just haven't seen any of it besides here on Earth.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kodiak60

I am not sure I completely understand your logic...

You say that mankind is a plague on this planet, yet you ask God to help???

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enderdog

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by righteousxcore

We do actually use close to 90% of our brain matter just not all at the same time. Each part of the brain has its own task and is used when needed.

Occasionally some humans do use just about all their brain at once.....it's called an epileptic seizure!

Or a migraine headache. Ouch. Although once it's "used" in that way, it usually takes me a couple of days before I feel like I'm thinking properly again. I use that time in-between to post to this website!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join