It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone considered we may be the most intelligent species in the Milky Way?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Searching rocky gas giants in our sun system for signs of microbes doesn't seem to make much sense does it? That doesn't excite me.

It's not really about exciting you though, is it? If they do find any concrete evidence of life though, I'm sure it would give a huge boost to scientific endeavours in space. Proof of any life outside of our own planet what so ever would mean evidence of a security threat, no matter how slight. I'm sure people would be more open to the possibility of danger from hostile aliens. (Though hopefully that's unlikely).

But we're (humanity) not just searching our own Solar System. Kepler has been searching since March of 2009 and found a potential 750 new planets within it's first three months. And while around half of those "potential" new planets could have been other phenomenon, at least half were definitely new planets. (That's not me being delusional, this is something with legitimate scientific backing.)

Source: science.slashdot.org...

I believe we will find a planet similar to our own (life included, not necessarily intelligent) within the next decade.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Didn't the theory that we are the most intelligent species in the Milky Way go out with the Earth is flat theory? Or the solar system revolves around the Earth? Or oil is made from decomposed Dinosaurs and vegetation?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
Didn't the theory that we are the most intelligent species in the Milky Way go out with the Earth is flat theory? Or the solar system revolves around the Earth? Or oil is made from decomposed Dinosaurs and vegetation?

As a matter of fact, it didn't.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

i've considered it. and then shuddered and prayed it isn't so.

we have infinite potential, no doubt, and i truly love the human race.
but as far as intelligence, right now...we seem to be in short supply.

with the nations who can afford it making war on each other incessantly for centuries on end, culminating in the present times that may be the most perilous we've ever had, while those who cannot even afford food starve to death on the same planet, is barbarous.

i'd like to think there is a more noble example in this galaxy that we may perhaps one day have the opportunity to follow.

& hoping that there is, even if there is not, may be enough to inspire the braver of our species to stand up and be an example, instead.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yes, I've pondered this before.

And it gave me nightmares.
I really really hope we are not, because, we are just terrible

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
ya sure?

oh i highly doubt that

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Alternatively it is also possible that WE are the extremophiles of the universe. We may not be getting contacted by other Alien life because Life based on WATER could be an oddity in the vast universe.

When their instruments detect water worlds they may simply disregard the solar system and move to the next.

Just as we have only recently discovered life in extreme environments on earth, potential aliens may not even look this way.

For all we know, most life in the universe could exist on the rim of the event horizon of super massive black holes. Seems unlikely in our world view but it is actually as possible as anything else.

If aliens use entanglement to see and communicate we would not even be aware of their signals.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think the galaxy has much older, advanced civilisations than us given its 13-14 billion years old... and the Earth is roughly 4.

What must have the first intelligent, space faring civilisation thought?
"The galaxy is so old and so vast that we can't be the only intelligent ones here".

Yet they were...

As mathematically unsound as it is to say that we are the only intelligent species in the galaxy... once upon a time, it was true for someone.

IRM

[edit on 12/7/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
We may not even be the most intelligent species on the planet.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

As mathematically unsound as it is to say that we are the only intelligent species in the galaxy... once upon a time, it was true for someone.

Unless intelligent life evolved simultaneously through out the Universe...

Entirely possible, but I don't think so.

Alternatively it is also possible that WE are the extremophiles of the universe. We may not be getting contacted by other Alien life because Life based on WATER could be an oddity in the vast universe.

When their instruments detect water worlds they may simply disregard the solar system and move to the next.

That's an awesome theory! Imagine, intelligent aliens not bothering to put water under a microscope in search for life for similar reasons we didn't (at first) put lava under a microscope!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by konhachi

Entirely possible, but I don't think so.

When WE set the standards for intelligence using OURSELVES as the benchmark we neglect extant alternative, but possibly equal intelligences.

There are some pretty amazing critters on earth... cetaceans come to mind.

We are not seeking intelligent life so much as "humanoid" life. We are even closed minded to the likelihood of life so alien as to defy recognition.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2

I've often thought this. I've often wondered if animals could read our minds. Dolphins seem to have a supernatural sense about protecting humans when faced with danger in the open oceans.

If we're not the most intelligent on the planet I can say that we're the most belligerent.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

If we're not the most intelligent on the planet I can say that we're the most belligerent.

I'll have to agree with you there.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by konhachi

Unless intelligent life evolved simultaneously through out the Universe...

Possible... but improbable!

IRM

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If we are the most intelligent species in the Milky Way, then that is depressing.

Depressing in the sense that the most intelligent species in the Milky Way is one that does not hesitate, and indeed delights, in killing itself through wars and other violence, and one that systematically destroys the quite beautiful enviroment and world around us for ill-conceived profit, which kills and maims all fellow species, driving them out, making them extinct, for absurd materialistic reasons like fur or to conform to ignorant tradition and superstition.

It means also, that there is no other species aside from ourselves than can talk us out of our violent and murderious self-harm and harm we do to everything around us.

It would mean it is up to humanity to stop itself.

Can it be done?

That is the question. And I very much fear the answer to it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
no. we really aren't that smart. lol

no way.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have now listened to your words. And the facts is that we are the 3rd intelligent race in the milky way. Animals are NOT included.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Don't flatter yourself.

But the truth is most people live in a self imposed "Matrix" of their own. They think the Earth is the center of the universe. Sure, when it comes to discussing astronomy (how many actually care about that any way) they will admit the Earth is a small blue planet in a dreary part of our plain Jane galaxy. But they go through life acting as if our planet is the only one!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Thanks for going a bit more in depth about the myriad of conditions a planet would have to find itself in, if it were to contain life that has evolved in a similar way to us.

People don't realize the CRITICAL role the moon plays in the stability of planet earth.

And yes, it seems there would need to be a "garbage collector" ala Jupiter within this solar system, in order to prevent the majority of impact events.

But would most solar systems have a Kuiper Belt and Oort cloud? Is that the norm? Or do you think our solar system is somewhat special in that it has two rings of asteroid belts?

If we're somewhat unique in that, then perhaps other planets in differently constructed solar systems may not have to worry as much about impact events.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join