It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Discovery Brings AIDS Breakthrough

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

New Discovery Brings AIDS Breakthrough

www.foxnews.com

U.S. researchers discovered two powerful antibodies that neutralize more than 90 percent of all known strains of the HIV virus in the lab, new research released Thursday showed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

The authors, whose work was due to be published in the July 9 issue of Science, were also able to demonstrate how one of these disease-fighting proteins gets the job done.

"The discovery of these exceptionally broadly neutralizing antibodies to HIV and the structural analysis that explains how they work are exciting advances that will accelerate our efforts to find a preventive HIV vaccine for global use," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institutes of Health.

"In addition, the technique the teams used to find the new antibodies represents a novel strategy that could be applied to vaccine design for many other infectious diseases," Fauci stressed in a statement.

The team of virologists found that the two antibodies were produced naturally and found in the blood of HIV-positive people.

This is great news. We have had many researchers busy in trying to find the breakthrough that was needed to make a treatment that could eventually be made widely available.

These proteins are naturally produced by those who are infected by the virus. Through this research these proteins can eventually be triggered to respond in a way that is effective in killing the virion and make it a dud.

NIH-LED Scientists Find Antibodies to Fight HIV

The scientists found that VRC01 and VRC02 neutralize more HIV strains with greater overall strength than previously known antibodies to the virus.

The researchers also determined the atomic-level structure of VRC01 when it is attaching to HIV. This has enabled the team to define how the antibody works and to precisely locate where it attaches to the virus. With this knowledge, they have begun to design components of a candidate vaccine that could teach the human immune system to make antibodies similar to VRC01 that might prevent infection by the vast majority of HIV strains worldwide.

This is real huge. HIV drugs up to now have relied on stop transcription and translation, processes that allow for the virus to replicate inside our bodies own cells. The drugs used to halt these processes also effect our own cells and have great side effects.

With realization of these antibodies, something that all HIV infected individuals already have in their body we can finally have a complete cure..though only 90% effective. This is simply amazing. The power to fight HIV is already present in those who are affected by the virus, all that is needed now is to create a widely available/cheap vaccine to trigger those naturally created HIV antibodies to attack the virion.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Thread

[edit on 8-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I doubt this is good news

there have been many cures that never saw the light of day

remember... there is no profit in a cure!

remember that

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

remember that

Don't be so glum. This was a study funded mainly by governments, visit the article and sources. The governments have a lot to gain from bringing this out in the mainstream as it would allow their tax base to survive and resources can be managed better for other emergencies.

So I would suggest to you to celebrate this discovery as now it lies in the hand of the government to spread this cure to the people.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

remember that

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Your pessimism is palpable...
This is good news no matter what. It doesn't sound like a cure because or the nature of the mechanism used. It sounds more like a vaccine. I think existing therapy is going to get a boost, so we can see about bringing survival statistics to a disease that hasn't any.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
6,000,000,000 vaccines will turn into a lot of profit.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Oh really!

Well i don't think the government in our country like spending money on expensive treatments and would much rather have a cure to free up money and resources for wars and fighting over oil.

I don't understand this "no profit in a cure" argument, its nonsense when you try and apply it to countries which run a government health system paid for by the government.

Just another sheep dim wit copying BS from other people.

Anyway great news! Just a shame the doom monger-ors can't even leave this thread alone. ZZZ

[edit on 8-7-2010 by tommyb0y]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Great news here. Hopefully they will make it available at a reasonable cost to the public. Those of us who know someone close with HIV constantly watch for news like this.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

What are your opinions on the fact that this will improve the survival rate of gay people?

Secondly, what about the evil fact that HIV is propagated through the Catholic churches blank refusal to allow contraception? Does this vaccine get disgusting religious stupidity off the hook?

Come on Prionace, I'm sure you have an opinion on these matters!

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Remember.

Under obamacare, the government reserves the right to withhold treatment from high risk patients. Don't see how being infected with AIDS would not equate to also being high risk.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

What are your opinions on the fact that this will improve the survival rate of gay people?

Secondly, what about the evil fact that HIV is propagated through the Catholic churches blank refusal to allow contraception? Does this vaccine get disgusting religious stupidity off the hook?

Come on Prionace, I'm sure you have an opinion on these matters!

Parallex.

What the hell are you even talking about? You are not making any sense.

Why is it that you tend to find a religious argument and hatred toward Catholic, Christian churches in every thread?

Stay on topic, and take your religious bashing ways somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Remember.

Under obamacare, the government reserves the right to withhold treatment from high risk patients. Don't see how being infected with AIDS would not equate to also being high risk.

You are right my friend, though these antibodies are only found in those with HIV which is a pro-dorm to the full blown AIDS. I don't think this treatment would have any affect on those who have full blown AIDS where the bodies immune system is so weak that other illnesses and opportunistic infections are the causes of death.

This treatment works by using our bodies natural response to a pathogen as the antibodies created to fight the virus can never properly locate the virus because the virus hides in the immune messenger cells.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
i beleive this is from the second post of the original post's author from this thread

"In addition, the technique the teams used to find the new antibodies represents a novel strategy that could be applied to vaccine design for many other infectious diseases," Fauci stressed in a statement.

i wonder how this strategy of 'vaccine design' will revolutionize the industry

hopefully it's a bit more humble than using the disease ridden tumors of other animals!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

So you're not answering my questions?

I couldn't help but see the irony in 'you' of all folks on here, posting this thread.

Don't get me wrong, it's great news - but it does seem like a fantastic opportunity for certain people to be able to say: "It's all better now, our evil ways of propagating HIV no longer matter as we have a cure we can SELL to you!"

Go on, answer the questions, I dare you!

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Sure there is. Happy healthy people buy more, get fat, and revolt less. Sick and hopeless people with nothing to live for attack.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

So you're not answering my questions?

I couldn't help but see the irony in 'you' of all folks on here, posting this thread.

Don't get me wrong, it's great news - but it does seem like a fantastic opportunity for certain people to be able to say: "It's all better now, our evil ways of propagating HIV no longer matter as we have a cure we can SELL to you!"

Go on, answer the questions, I dare you!

Parallex.

Are you from the same flock that is Preached by Jermiah Wright or Louis Farakhan? Now come down from your religion bashing.

If you had been paying any attention to the article, it was funded by the governments and university institutes. I believe the end goal of these governments is to stop they coffers from bleeding money in treatment that is barely effective. These governments have to more to gain if they can implement this treatment to save their tax base.

What do you have against Homosexuals and poor people anyway? Do they not deserve any treatment in your book? You are just as worse as those who only seek to put profits in front of human costs.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

i can understand your logic, but we are talking about way to consider raking in a much money as possible as frequently as possible

a healthy person doesn't spend much per year on his doctor, dental bills etc, as well as his insurance not being too high from the existence of certain conditions that might raise his rates

an unhealthy person however will need frequent trips to the doctor for treatment, as well as needing special insurance with a special price

why charge people ONE LARGE fee for a cure, when you can keep them sick and have them pay endlessly for the rest of their lifes?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Are you from the same flock that is Preached by Jermiah Wright or Louis Farakhan? Now come down from you religion bashing.

If you had been paying any attention to the article, it was funded by the governments and university institutes. I believe the end goal of these governments is to stop they coffers from bleeding money in treatment that is barely effective. These governments have to more to gain if they can implement this treatment to save their tax base.

Jeremiah who? Louis what?

I don't get led - I make up my own mind. That's what being a sceptic is all about.

I did read the article, and I noted that it was all great news, and very nice. I also noted that, as a staunch defender of religion and faith-based conviction, it seemed somewhat ironic that you should applaud the creation of something which will no doubt save the lives of many, many homosexual folks, as well as inevitably get religion off the hook for condemning so many third world people to a long, unnecessary and painful death.

Yet you dodge the question?

Parallex.

Just to add this in because you edited your post to try and make me look bad:

What do you have against Homosexuals and poor people anyway? Do they not deserve any treatment in your book? You are just as worse as those who only seek to put profits in front of human costs.

Don't be an idiot. I think gay people are great, and I am poor myself. Read things properly before you cast aspersions.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i am on board with what most everyone knows in their heart, especially here on ats: the food and drug coorporations, especially those western and american ones, have one concern - money

cures and successful vaccinations can sometimes be threats

however, i do beleive that eventually this will end, along with breakthroughs such as this discussed in this thread

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

why charge people ONE LARGE fee for a cure, when you can keep them sick and have them pay endlessly for the rest of their lifes?

I understand your distaste in those greedy enough to put profits over human life. Such is done at all levels of society. But one should not be so disheartened by those who practice this way as there are many more who stand to fight for those who are weak.

This research opens up a whole new avenue for researchers to look at. Our mind and body are more supreme to anything that is created artificially. Just as nature adopts to challenges, our body adopts naturally. The cure for all illnesses is present within us, just need to be able to see it and use it. This research proves this to be true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join