It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say they've found evidence that early humans were more than just cavemen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Find Reveals Early Humans Who Endured Harsh Cold

LONDON (July 7) -- Scientists have depicted early humans as wimps who couldn't hack it in chilly northern climates, but a newly discovered cache of stone tools is forcing archaeologists to revise their opinions. Scientists reported at a news conference here today that creatures much like us managed to carve out a living at a spot on the coast of England roughly 900,000 years ago, when the area would have resembled today's southern Scandinavia in climate and landscape. Never before have early humans been shown to live so far north. The finding, which will be published in Thursday's edition of Nature, is the latest to show that scientists have perpetually underestimated the humans who lived thousands and millions of years ago. Accumulating evidence shows, for example, that Neanderthals were not the stupid brutes of public image but beings capable of symbolic thought. "We are still stuck in this Victorian image (that) the further you go back in time, the more primitive it has to be," says paleoanthropologist Wil Roebroeks of Leiden University. "The evidence is constantly showing us wrong."

Full Story with pictures

It seems as if a lot of people dont give early humans credit in terms of survival in a harsh climate. Its looking more and more early humans adapted quite well.

Thoughts?

[edit on 8-7-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

The last quote says it all.

Evidence has shown scientists to be consistently wrong, and a scientist said that.

I am not holding my breath.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Early humans were more ingenious and hardy than we give them credit for. I am certain that there is a lot of human history yet to be uncovered that will rock our previous beliefs.

Good find.

Star and Flag to you.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I think people need to give the human race a bit of credit. The human body can actually endure a lot. I dont think its out the question that these early humans found ways to survive in a harsh climate and maybe even thrive in it.

The early humans have that "im a stupid caveman" stigma tied to them - But how fair of a statement is that honestly?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Thoroughly enjoyed the video - thanks for posting.

All that ancient European human stuff - the peat bog men, frozen-in-ice-dude, Stonehenge, Lascaux...I love that stuff.

And then this is so surprisingly old...I wonder what they looked like...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I meant to imply the opposite.

I think early humans had huge odds to overcome and I think they probably had amazing fortitude.

What I am saying is that every time I see the headline "Scientists discover..." I think, ok, you scientists are doing a great job, but often you are way off the mark.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Oh, gotcha, I see now

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Very Interesting. Heres a website that might interest you all which investigates in-depth about how our ancestors were not as primitive as we think, and may even be more sophisticated and advanced then we are today.
Sophisticated Cavemen

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Very good.

I often wonder about who is an English man, we parted from Europe about 5.500 years ago when the water levels increased, these first settlers are our roots.

The English flag does not represent our civilisation it represent an elitist ideology.

We don't even have a national anthem

Englishmen have no roots and we don't even know it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

I meant to imply the opposite.

I think early humans had huge odds to overcome and I think they probably had amazing fortitude.

What I am saying is that every time I see the headline "Scientists discover..." I think, ok, you scientists are doing a great job, but often you are way off the mark.

But isn't that the great thing about science. Theories can be proved wrong and challenged with new discoveries, that again can be tested, its an evolving process of learning more and not being satisfied until we have the answers.

new topics

top topics

join