It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! - Underwater Bomb Found Near Orange Beach, Alabama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by primus2012

How far is Horn Island from the Deepwater site? Was anything deposited at the ocean bottom as the result of the hurricane that destroyed the island? Interesting. Horn Island's been mentioned before in relation to the well site. On the survey maps in the MMS drilling application, they did indicate that they took "military" areas into consideration when drilling, but who knows where that stuff might have wound up.

My ex was stationed at Eglin AFB and they were always practicing in the gulf. Usually with bombs that were not live, however, if I recall sometimes they were live. Once we were on a sailboat in the Potomac River and alarms sounded to get off the river so they could have "live" fire practice. That was pretty scary seeing as there was no wind and the motor on a sailboat isn't very fast.

A bomb in the driveway, though...that's nuts.

I'm still wondering how a 500-pound dead weight anything just "washes up" though. Think it was the storm that brought it up? Waves and currents in the gulf usually aren't that strong, are they?

[edit on 7/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

Here's a link to a google map. A is Orange Beach, B is Horn Island, and C is the Deepwater Horizon.
Google Map

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Thanks. So it looks to be about 100-120 miles from Horn to the well site. Interesting stuff.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Going through my old minesweeper history records there was a mine practice area off Orange beach Alabama.

There are also practice areas off Charleston SC, Huntington beach Calif
between Santa Rosa island and Santa Cruz island off the coast of Calif.
and Point Mugu, California, Gulf of Maine off Cape Small

And a number of other areas off the Washington state coast.

During WW2 there were live protective mine fields off both US coast.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm wondering if this is some old left over bomb from WWII. How much damage could it do if it went off? Would it leave a small crater in the ground or would it be enough to take out a few houses nearby or what?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I have a buddy on orange beach fire and rescue it was not a practice bomb it was a real wwII depth mine used for ships and subs it became a floating mine when the chain became unattached from the unit from 70 some years of rust and corrosion. they didnt want to alarm people so they told them it was a fake bomb. it found its way into the gulf by currents they said it might have been floating around in the seas for 20 years till it found its way here. I dont know if you know it but the gulf of mexico is a major dumping ground for unexploded ordinance i have several maps that show in 2500-5000 ft of water army dumping grounds this is where they dump unexploded ordinance

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I just found this info on the area. There seems to be a sunken WWII German sub down there with the well. DKM U-166 and 307 individual or groups of artifacts were documented at the site. Thats a new twist. And they just had a mine float up on the beach near by from WWII?

www.pastfoundation.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join