It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! - Underwater Bomb Found Near Orange Beach, Alabama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
______beforeitsnews/story/94/334/Breaking_News_-_Underwater_Bomb_Found_Near_Orange_Beach,_Alabama.html

According to WKRG, ORANGE BEACH, Ala. - A scary day for beachgoers in Orange Beach after an explosive device is found near Perdido Pass. Lt. Steve Brown with Orange Beach Police tells News 5 that the device appears to be an underwater bomb. It was found on the east side of the Perdido Pass. A bomb squad from NAS Pensacola is enroute to the scene. We hope to have more information for News 5 at Noon. www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/bomb-found-on-beach/903866/Jul-06-2010_11-29-am/

Not much known about this yet . I will try and update this soon. (PS I posted this here because alternative news is not working for me atm)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Wow how weird. Wonder if it's related to that submarine sighting. (Nevermind that was near Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood.)

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
OK here Is another Link with more info
www.wkrg.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
ORANGE BEACH, Ala. - UPDATE:
"News 5 has a crew on the scene. Authorities tell us that BP workers cleaning the beach found the device around 9 this morning. The device is disk-shaped and about 3 feet wide and appears to weigh about 500 lbs. It was found in the surfline. Crews have cordoned off about 30 yards of beach with construction fence."
www.wkrg.com...

ORANGE BEACH, Ala is not far from the oil leak so I wounder if, naw that would be to simple.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It could be a mine or a sonar device I suppose. My first guess would have been sonar.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by csimon]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
think it was a practice mine
www.pnj.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Military practice of some sort? What weighs 500 pounds? Something of that weight probably wouldn't just wash up would it?

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

t appeared to have been at sea for some time, White said. The explosives team removed the device and is taking it back to Panama City for further identification and disposal, White said. The practice mine was found near the east side of Perdido Pass. People were being kept at least 500 feet from the device as officials waited for the ordnance disposal team to remove it. Source

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I bet a training mine left over from training in the area during wwii. On the other side of Florida Ft Pierce they find things after hurricanes from training for wwii. Navy Seals were first started in Ft Pierce.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent
Crews have cordoned off about 30 yards of beach with construction

So I am curious to know how many posters will see the above as an attack on their first amendment rights? Safety zones are seemingly unconstitutional according to another thread on this site.

This is indeed an interesting find. I wonder what else will turn up in these waters as the cleanup continues.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Um...read the link I posted. It's over. Practice bomb thingy. Wasn't live.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OMG RUN TO TEH HILLS!
AL QUIDDUH ES TRYING TO KILL AQUAMAN!!
I'm thinking it was set up to be found, it gives us something else to speculate on.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Land mines, drink the oil?
whats next?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This will be a very common thing during the upcoming days. Horn Island, MS (just a bit west off the coast) was at one time the location of US Army biological weapons test site. It was also a stockpile area for unused chemical ordinance from WWII. The place was destroyed pretty much by a hurricane in the late 40's so they moved operations to the Atlantic off of NY.

Legacy of Horn Island’s Weapon Program
The site was used to destroy captured German mustard gas bombs as well as phosgene in 1946-47 before being abandoned completely. Most of the then-unoccupied complex was destroyed completely by the Hurricane of 1947. In the 1970 the US Army disclosed that it had dumped large quantities of mustard gas and other chemical weapons that had been stockpiled at Horn Island in the deep canyons of the Gulf of Mexico just after world war two. Subsequent wild fires and hurricanes have reduced the structures to only a few buried foundation blocks and part of the brick incinerator. The island is today considered safe and is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore.

The Bug Bombs of Horn Island

If they were dumping mustard gas bombs and other chemical weapons in the Gulf, who's to say they weren't disposing of conventional ordinances as well.

edit: There is an existing thread talking about mustard gas cannisters found by clam boat off NY.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by primus2012]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Very weird indeed - take a look at the ATS Live Feed thread - they think their was an earthquake near the well.

Hope it does turn out to be an old WWII shell, they do show up from time to time. Not to speak of the fact that the military looses a bomb now and then. They lost one in my drive way turning around their vehicle - I lived across from the Navy Base at the time. Scared the %$#$ outta me, well thats another topic - hope I didn't go to far off.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Practice bomy thing - ok - or so they tell us

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Nice, you called it exactly.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
NAS Pensacola is not far from Orange Beach and they do have EOD training there.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

They left a bomb in your driveway!?

What a story!

What if you would have been groggy waking up and started driving to work in the morning...?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

How far is Horn Island from the Deepwater site? Was anything deposited at the ocean bottom as the result of the hurricane that destroyed the island? Interesting. Horn Island's been mentioned before in relation to the well site. On the survey maps in the MMS drilling application, they did indicate that they took "military" areas into consideration when drilling, but who knows where that stuff might have wound up.

My ex was stationed at Eglin AFB and they were always practicing in the gulf. Usually with bombs that were not live, however, if I recall sometimes they were live. Once we were on a sailboat in the Potomac River and alarms sounded to get off the river so they could have "live" fire practice. That was pretty scary seeing as there was no wind and the motor on a sailboat isn't very fast.

A bomb in the driveway, though...that's nuts.

I'm still wondering how a 500-pound dead weight anything just "washes up" though. Think it was the storm that brought it up? Waves and currents in the gulf usually aren't that strong, are they?

[edit on 7/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join