It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department files lawsuit to block tough new Arizona law targeting illegal immigrants.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Justice Department files lawsuit to block tough new Arizona law targeting illegal immigrants.

www.google.com

US APNewsAlert
(AP) – 23 minutes ago

PHOENIX — Justice Department files lawsuit to block tough new Arizona law targeting illegal immigrants.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow, there is not much in right now except that one liner from the Associated Press, but that one line says enough. This ought to be interesting. I for one believe a state should have the right to do what it feels is best for the citizens of that state. I dont think the justice department should have a chance of winning this one. If the justice department wins, I wonder how the people will react.

I cant wait to hear what Arizona will say in responce to this.

www.google.com

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

Wow, there is not much in right now except that one liner from the Associated Press, but that one line says enough. This ought to be interesting. I for one believe a state should have the right to do what it feels is best for the citizens of that state. I dont think the justice department should have a chance of winning this one. If the justice department wins, I wonder how the people will react.

www.google.com

I agree with you....but even deeper than the state oi AZ having the Right to do this.....they have the obligation and responsibility to protect the citizen of their state.

The Federal Govenment has fail to do s...and that include Arizona's own Senator John McCain! This will be a very good case.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
From the related link...

In the speech, he [Obama] criticized Arizona's law and warned that national legislation is needed to prevent other states from following suit.

Obama and other top officials have criticized the law as misguided, while Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has slammed the administration for pursuing a lawsuit. She claims the administration has not done enough to secure the border -- a charge the administration denies.

The law that makes illegal immigration a state crime goes into effect at the end of this month. Personally I think this should have been an obvious law to begin with. It is good to see the Arizona gov. anxious and confident to take on the govt.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This will likely seal the fate of this already failed presidency! The vast majority of voters agree with Arizona and the vast majority of voters opposed Obama care. Couple that with a failing economy, soaring deficits and an impending record tax increase and you have the recipe for disaster in November. I believe the people have had enough of this dithering.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

.... claims the administration has not done enough to secure the border -- a charge the administration denies.

Weird... in his speech Obama admitted that the Federal government had not done enough..... I wonder if the Justice Dept. bothered to watch it.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Feds ignore the will of the American People Again!
Obama Bows to Mexico
Ignores Oil Leak
Attacks Arizona!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Personally I think AZ should counter-sue the Federal government for breach of contract, and charge Obama with dereliction of duty.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It will be interesting to watch. CNN is going through it all now, well after the queen speaks. I for one was not sure on what grounds they were suing. It appears that the Federal govt says that the states have no right dealing with immigration issues. I say if that's the case then it's time for change.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I AM NEW HERE STILL BUT, WOULD LIKE TO SAY I would love to see obama get his a-- kicked on this issue as well as others he talks about whose a-- he will kick how about someone kicking his d--- a--- this is a very screwed up president and I am thrilled pe3ople are realizing this even tho, the obamers deserved what they have got!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
This will likely seal the fate of this already failed presidency! The vast majority of voters agree with Arizona and the vast majority of voters opposed Obama care. Couple that with a failing economy, soaring deficits and an impending record tax increase and you have the recipe for disaster in November. I believe the people have had enough of this dithering.

As much as people dislike illegal immigration, they dislike targeting people based on their race even more. While the right cheers for the law, those on the left and in the middle are appalled by it. Add to that a growing number of people tired of blaming the immigrant for everything while those that hire them get nothing but a wrist slap.

Besides, Bush was elected a second time despite a huge deficit, a jobless recovery, record numbers of people without healthcare, soldiers dieing in needless wars, huge tax breaks for the wealthy while others received a pittance in tax breaks, illegally wire tapping Americans and so forth.

So, you can never tell what will happen.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
[font=Lucida Console]I am hearing him talk , and they will file because he is illegal and he is still trying to save his a--! give amnesty, screw up the gulf, but, play golf,and reassure us americans that he is our great savior, I get a big kick out of hannity calling him the ANNOITED ONE all the time.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The Federal government has no right to do this, this is a state issue! They have no right to prevent Arizona or any other state from pursuing their own interest.

It is time for impeachment or secession!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by realmatrix

www.google.com

I agree with you....but even deeper than the state oi AZ having the Right to do this.....they have the obligation and responsibility to protect the citizen of their state.

The Federal Govenment has fail to do s...and that include Arizona's own Senator John McCain! This will be a very good case.

Yup, I believe that this issue is clear. When the Federal Government fails to uphold a Federal Law, the law is fairly clear in that the States are allowed to take matters into their own hands when the Federal Government has failed to protect that State's citizens.

I would think that the Federal Government will fail in this lawsuit, unless they pay off a friendly judge to rule for them in this matter.

The failure of the Federal Law became even more apparent in last weeks' Obama speech on immigration, in which he called the Federal Law "a failure", and that he "didn't think it was unreasonable" that Arizona was taking matters into its own hands.

It seems pretty two faced to me (although not to be surprised by this from a politician) that he can say that he thinks it's "understandable" for Arizona to take matters into their own hands, and then sues them for doing so?

The other two faced part of this is the cities that passed their "Arizona boycotts" and then backtracked on this and made "exceptions" when they realized that many of their city services came from companies that were based in Arizona, and would cost MUCH more to get those same services locally.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
Personally I think AZ should counter-sue the Federal government for breach of contract, and charge Obama with dereliction of duty.

Why Obama? Last time I looked, Mexico was right where it was in 2008 and the border hadn't moved. Where there no illegal aliens in 2008? 2007 when Bush pushed for amnesty? 1986 when Regan granted them amnesty? You know, I think there were.

www.cis.org...

Illegal immigration in Arizona:

* The federal government estimated that Arizona had one of the fastest growing illegal immigrant populations in the country, increasing from 330,000 in 2000 to 560,000 by 2008. 70% Increase

* Arizona has adopted other laws to deter the settlement of illegal immigrants in the state in recent years. The federal government estimates that the illegal immigrant population dropped by 18 percent in the state from 2008 to 2009, compared to a 7 percent drop for the nation as a whole. 18% Decrease

[edit on 7/6/2010 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

The failure of the Federal Law became even more apparent in last weeks' Obama speech on immigration, in which he called the Federal Law "a failure", and that he "didn't think it was unreasonable" that Arizona was taking matters into its own hands.

It seems pretty two faced to me (although not to be surprised by this from a politician) that he can say that he thinks it's "understandable" for Arizona to take matters into their own hands, and then sues them for doing so?

Look up top at the thread title. Justice Department files lawsuit...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Secession sounds like a damn good idea at this point.

On one hand, we have Arizona....filled with common sense and liberty minded individuals.

On the other, the greatest failure in the history of government.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Obama is the current administration and as I recall similar arguments were being made when Bush was in office against illegal immigration and potential amnesty as they are today. So what's your point? We are going to continue to argue against the garbage as it flows until it winds up in the landfill regardless of who is in office. Obama is in a position to either correct the problem, or ignore it, and we can see how much he is correcting the problem.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"As it stands today, the United States has become Mexico's penal colony. While their police and military officers supplement their incomes by providing protection for Mexican organized crime organizations, they actually aid illegal aliens with maps, water and other assistance," said former NYPD detective and military intelligence officer Sid Franes.
www.examiner.com...

Holder's DOJ ignores civil rights cases involving white victims.
www.examiner.com...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Gmoneycricket]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

.... claims the administration has not done enough to secure the border -- a charge the administration denies.

Weird... in his speech Obama admitted that the Federal government had not done enough..... I wonder if the Justice Dept. bothered to watch it.

I doubt they watched it .... since obama and the people in his administration have all claimed that they've never even read the AZ law.

AZ should counter sue to get the feds to do their job AND to pay for what illegals have already cost AZ since the feds aren't doing their jobs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join