It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China objects to US sanctions against Iran, saying UN sanctions don't need expanding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

China objects to US sanctions against Iran, saying UN sanctions don't need expanding

www.foxnews.com< br />

Published July 06, 2010 | Associated Press

BEIJING (AP) — China said Tuesday that the United States and other countries should not expand on the latest U.N. sanctions imposed on Iran over its nuclear program.

China did not exercise its veto power last month when the U.N. Security Council approved sanctions that target Iran's Revolutionary Guard, ballistic missiles and nuclear-related investments.

The United States followed that up when President Barack Obama signed a bill Thursday that imposed tough unilateral sanctions against exports of gasoline and other refined petroleum produc
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.rian.ru
www.reuters.com

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It was a matter of time before China expressed their opinions on the new unilateral sanctions posed by the US. Russia had already expressed concerns last month according to the Rian article I referenced here.

I think the main concern of both Russia and China is that before the UN sanctions have even had time to work, the US and then the EU imposed more sanctions.

Since China actively trades with Iran, and receives 11% of their energy from them, I wonder how long China will continue to support the UN sanctions against Iran now that they are openly objecting to the new sanctions.

www.foxnews.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Interesting. I was waiting for this. Seems they are having second thoughts about the pressure that was placed upon them by the U.S. and Israel to vote the way they did for UN sanctions against Iran.

Yes, along with India, China is the fastest growing and expanding market for and has a large reliance on fuel from the middle east, so their stance is on Iran is pretty important in a number of ways. They are concerned, and rightly so. The energy security portion a very large concern for China as well. India yesterday made a statement too. Here.

Not only with an invasion or destruction of Iran cut off their 11% as you said, but also Iran and any altercation with Iran has the potential of disrupting the Strait of Hormuz, which would further impede the flow of gas and oil and even water to China and India. China has as much as said in the past that any interruption to the strait would be akin to an act of war against them. They take this very seriously.

Interesting too though that China, a permanent, veto wielding member of the UN Security Council voted for the sanctions against. India is not currently one of the 10 elected non-permanent members and so did not vote.

Israel Makes Case to China for Iran Sanctions

This is another interesting article about the maneuverings around the vote on the Iran sanctions.

And from last week...

US fears China may snub Iran sanctions

And, finally, an interesting related story is about the SCO here.. Apparently the U.S. is wielding influence there now too. Read about the SCO here.

Russia too had pressure put on them to vote for and enforce the sanctions. A statement from them as well as China and India, wouldn't surprise me either, though Russia probably wouldn't even bother making one if Iran is attacked...they'd probably just go back to dealing with them (see recent stories about military hardware) and maybe even back them in the fight.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
If i was iran i wouldnt trust the chinese or the russians. they have already for no good reason supported multiple sanctions and this showed their weaknesses. many of you here may say that the US empire is collapsing, but i tell you that the US empire remains very strong. i mean they got the whole world to agree on sanctions against a nation thats nuclear program did not violate any international laws.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Good to hear your comments on this ~Lucidity.

We both know that both Russia and China agreed to the UN sanctions albeit reluctantly. And both have now expressed concern over the added US sanctions that were placed after the UN sanctions. Also one of the problems with pressuring someone into doing something they really do not want to do, is the pressured party may begin to have regrets later and may even backtrack on the initial agreement. I really do not think neither Russia nor China will back away from the UN sanctions unless like you said that Iran is attacked then who knows what they will do.

Thanks for the link to the SCO. I will read up on that when I have some time today.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
There isn't much that Israel or America can do to Iran...the vast majority of the Iranian people completely support their nations right to have nuclear energy. Simply 'strategically striking' their nuclear facilities will infuriate the people and strengthen the Iranian governments stance, it won't be a syria or Iraq type situation that's for sure. And since this is both about keeping Israel as the regional super power plus the stability of the petro dollar, the only way America could get China on it's side is if they could promise a quick war in which a puppet government is installed and China get's a nice slice of the resource pie. Making such a promise is laughable though...im guessing they are postponing any military action and would rather fund groups inside Iran while also hoping for more civil strife in the future by isolating Iran and tightening the noose on their economy...although Iran has been doing quite well given how many sanctions are already in place. Hell i don't know, global politics just seems like a crazy circus act these days...with the clowns having the capability to cause mass destruction and economic misery for all of us.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

You got to ask your self why did China not use it's veto

I saw a thread yesterday about Iranian passenger jets refused fuel that is ridiculous what has passenger jets got to do with military or nuclear i said yesterday in that thread these sanctions are set up for confrontation.

China should have used there veto to me Iran has done nothing wrong it's Israel that's the problem the puppet masters.

Thankyou

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Thanks for your feedback. NAM is even more interesting to read about. Particularly their statements on this entire situation and a summary from their late 2009 summit about all this, which I posted on one topic or another and can't find again...but I will!

Edit to add: Non-Aligned Movement's support for Iran's nuclear programm

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I don't really think that Iran trusts any of the superpowers either current or past. They have been around long enough to see how the US and Russia play the game, and that both are only after their own best interests, as are the Iranians. And I don't really believe the Iranians had violated any laws yet either. Would they have violated any laws? I doubt we will ever know now at this point.

The groundwork was being laid when Bush declared Iran as being part of this so called axis of evil, and I have no doubt they have been foaming at the mouth ever since the Iranian revolution in 1979 on how to get back at them for deposing their puppet the Shah whom the US was supporting so as to have access to the region as well as a countermeasure against the former Soviet Union. Since then, the Russians have been more or less trading partners with Iran, and I'm sure that has irked the US to absolutely no end.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You know, this planet functions pretty well when there are systems of checks and balances in place. As you said, Israel is at least for the moment the regions superpower, although I have felt for a long time that the US has used Israel for years as someone to do their dirty work for them in the region. If Iran had any intentions of becoming the other regional superpower, this may have balanced the region. Then it may have tilted the region over the edge. Who can know with any degree of certainty exactly what Iran's intentions are or were?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Short answer as to why China did not veto UN sanctions...pressure. Pressure from both the US and Israel. I have wondered what the US promised both Russia and China for their votes.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Or what they threatened them with? Could work either way. I wonder this too. Oh to be a fly on the wall during some of these "diplomatic" sessions. We know that China (and India too) just wants the oil/gas/water flow uninterrupted. Russia's a bit of a different story though, particularly because they also want control over the same pipelines to Asia that the U.S. and Israel are fighting so hard for.

Ahhh...here's one I missed...

Russia complains about German seizure of Iran items

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You know they are trying to push Iran until there is no other way but war you bully someone one day they are going to hit back.

This will not be the same type of war they are in now and just look how well they are handling that

It's like pick your side time going on at the moment they will go to war they probably made that decision a long time ago that's probably why all them ships are there takes time to get into place.

Thankyou

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

The relationship between America and Israel is one that brings mutual benefits. America arms Israel and through that keeps the region in check which also benefits Israel, the extremists in Israel feel it is their right to be able to put countries in the region in their place if they don't play ball which also helps American interests. Israel has always had this view, whether it's being supported by Britain, France or more recently America...without these supporters it would simply be a relatively wealthy, technologically modern country...not the military machine that we see now. Iran is becoming a major threat to that status quo, they still cannot match the military might of Israel...but that is quickly changing, Israel knows Iran is not a threat to it's existence etc only a possible threat in the future regarding Israels capability to dominate the entire region if need be through superior firepower, which is something Israel wants to remedy. The larger motive is of course America wanting a more stable Iran(puppet government) and hence we come back to the mutual benefits that both America and Israel receive through their partnership.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Mutual how? Are you saying Israel keeps the region in check for the U.S.? What business is it of the U.S.'s to keep the region "in check?" It's an awful lot of money that we spend for something that's really none of our concern. Perhaps each region would be better left to keep itself "in check," particularly when it's only when the interventionalists interfere that it gets "out of check."

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
China will continue to play- off the various groups for strategic gains , Russia too. Back and forth -back and forth .

All the while having Iranian, American,& Israeli delegations seeking their support . Support which no doubt comes at a cost .Perhaps discount priced fuel or resources , military hardware or an easing of trade restrictions .

Always a cost ........

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Of course. They all do it. That's the way alliances are formed and reformed...to the point that their needs are met and agendas are fulfilled. There comes a point though where all bets are off or the rules change and the game changes. Watching the maneuverings and for indications and speculating on what makes is fascinating.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

seeing as 60% of oil from Iran goes to Europe and China, makes sense.

In the end they will ignore their own words. Just like the half dozen other times they did for other sanctions.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Of course. They all do it. That's the way alliances are formed and reformed...to the point that their needs are met and agendas are fulfilled. There comes a point though where all bets are off or the rules change and the game changes. Watching the maneuverings and for indications and speculating on what makes is fascinating.

I hear you Lucidity , but there are still a lot of people who neatly place events into good and bad categories. As if China has swung from doing the right thing to the wrong thing .... when throughout the whole scenario China was doing, what was best for China .

[edit on 6-7-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
the hegemony always makes trouble with China in Tibet and Taiwan issue,
So don't expect China will cooperate with the hegemony in Iran issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join