It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the US trapped in depression, this really is starting to feel like 1932

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

With the US trapped in depression, this really is starting to feel like 1932

www.telegraph.co.uk

"The economy is still in the gravitational pull of the Great Recession," said Robert Reich, former US labour secretary. "All the booster rockets for getting us beyond it are failing."
"Home sales are down. Retail sales are down. Factory orders in May suffered their biggest tumble since March of last year. So what are we doing about it? Less than nothing," he said.
California is tightening faster than Greece. State workers have seen a 14pc fall in earnings this year due to forced furloughs. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is cutting pay for 200,000 state workers to the minimum wage of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Three men of a tribe need travel an hour to the river each morning to get their water. Then one has a good idea, he digs a well in the centre of the village, now no man need travel each morning and all have their drinking water, so zero employment and much merriment. Then Goldman Sachs comes along and poisons the river then steals the rights to the well in a derivative fraud. It edicts that each man do sixteen hours work each day to get his drinking water. If they refuse, the tribe leader, who is now a Goldman Sachs shareholder, declares the men parasites on society and shoots them. God help us

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Too bad we don't have anybody to go to war with that would actually last 4 years.

Oh well. Guess I better start buying stocks for whenever they get their behinds back up.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
Too bad we don't have anybody to go to war with that would actually last 4 years.

There is always ourselves.

The last time we fought ourselves, it was a conventional war and still lasted about 4 years.

But I think the next one, will be unconventional, like Iraq, all across the nation, and it may last much longer than 4 years, like Iraq. Only difference will be, American civilians are much better armed than Iraqi civilians were before their war started.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AquariusDescending

Do not forget that Iraqis civilians are use to live in war zone, that's a good advantage for them. Also, since 1/3 of the USA population is obese, that does not provide healthy and swift civilian soldiers, second advantage for them....

[edit on 5-7-2010 by St-Patrick]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

Never forget that obesity is counted the same for 1 pound over weight to 200 pounds over weight. So somebody getting weighed the day of the poll who just ate a large meal would be considered just as obese as somebody who sits on their arse all day and has a jabba the hut gut.

Never forget that. Most people, though overweight, are pretty fit. I have a pot belly, but I can run for 6 hours. Also, the first time I played paint ball, to which that day, I was quite overweight, I never got shot the whole day until one stupid mistake at the end of the day, where I popped up and got shot twice to the fact. 100% death in a real war. But that's the same 100% death for the some 20-30 guys I cut down with pain balls as well.

So yea, obesity rates are pretty flawed.

reply to post by AquariusDescending

Yes, it will be an unconventional war. A war with no fronts and no definite enemies.

Allow me to explain.

The current vector of the world indicates that in some 10-5 years, it is likely that violent armed revolts will occur in the US. At the same time, we will be phasing out of our world police position, giving it to the Chinese.

Eventually, maybe 25 years down the road, you're going to see a World Union form. This World Union will have those who support we the people, and those against it. It will be a modern era Roman Empire. Eventually a nice lad on the people's side will start an open revolt, and the World Union will have its first civil war. Likelihood is that we the people will win. And on that day, the World Union will be a republic, a true republic.

If you ever played Command and Conquer, that was one of the elements.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Come on now. You americans are well known to be fat. Just have to watch some news reports on american TV to see some obese people all the time.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
i live in stockton california, and they have cut hundreds of jobs just in our city, and more jobs have been lost in county services. then you have the state with ten of thousands of jobs on the chopping block. this is happening in all states, some more than others. Obama can do nothing about this, because the big banks and investment houses control the financial future of this country just as they have controlled it for the past few decades. your job has no security, your retirement is going to be cut down, social services are being cut, don't be fooled by the media coverage, the "rosy picture" is NOT OUT THERE. people all over the nation are being hit hard, they are too ashamed or embaressed to admit it. and the wealthy don't give a damn, because it's just an opportunity to snap up cheap hard assets fo cents on the dollar.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i agree we're in a depression. Another great depression? Not quite. I don't see any food lines around the block with the exception of Shake Shack but I don't think that counts

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Oh well. Guess I better start buying stocks for whenever they get their behinds back up.

War won't help because we don't have a manufacturing base, we would need to import mass amounts of tanks, planes and ammo from foreign countries.

We have absolutely nothing to save us, nothing! Either we get our manufacturing base back or we won't return to any real growth.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Our civilian manufacturing base is mostly gone, but I'm not sure the same can be said about our military manufacturing base. I'm pretty sure it's still going strong, and if need be could ramp up rather quickly.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

Funny. I thought the news lies?

The amount of people REALLY fat is far less than obesity counts.

And if its true, well, all the more reason to make exoskeleton super soldiers!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktherer
i agree we're in a depression. Another great depression? Not quite. I don't see any food lines around the block with the exception of Shake Shack but I don't think that counts

jacktherer,

The reason we
don't see bread lines
is because unlike the old
"great" depression, the railroads
did not just finish a nation wide campaign
advertising, 'want a great job? come to the city.'

No, many if seriously pressed, know someone to stay with.
America is no longer a country of newly arrived hayseeds in town.

So there are no bread lines, at least not public ones.
We did not just arrive in the city yesterday, and
start work at the mill today, only to find the
place closed after one week, with no pay
and no way to get home for support.
Many Moms, Aunts, and Uncles
are feeling the hurt though.

:|
David Grouchy

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by St-Patrick
reply to post by Gorman91

Come on now. You americans are well known to be fat. Just have to watch some news reports on american TV to see some obese people all the time.

Australia is the fattest nation in the world...and England is pretty fat too. Most of the western world is "overweight." It's not just an American problem.

Anyhow, people like Robert Reich are why were are in a depression-like state, who the hell is he to be talking? He and Paul Krugman want us to spend more money and take over BP.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by yellowcard]

new topics

top topics

join