It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are Some of Your Favorite and Least Favorite Words?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The written and/or spoken word definitely plays a big role in human interaction in a large majority of cultures. The English language is one the languages that focuses much on words.

There are certain words that I truly love, because of the emotions that they can evoke. I might also like them because of the way it sounds, its relationship to the meaning, etc....

Hopefully you understand the gist of what I am trying to say. I will elaborate as the thread goes on.

But anyway, the purpose of this thread is to share our favorite (and least favorite) words. These can be from any language. So if you choose to participate, please list a word, and then the reason why you like it (or dislike it)
Moving on...
Here are some of my faves:

Classic: I love this word when used in the context of saying it after someone shares a great story. "that's classic!"

Aloha: this word is great because of the "ha" at the end. "Ha" is the breath of life, and it encourages you to breathe from your piko (belly button area)

Dank: I love to use this word when describing amazing tasting food.
"damn, this food is Daaank!"

Here are some of my least faves:

Lard: Ew. It sounds exactly like what it is.

Boil: I refer to the skin ailment. blehhhh

So yeah, that is to get this thread started. I have many more words, but I can't think of them at the moment. Hope to see some awesome words!

-Sol

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mucous. I hate to hear that word.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I love all the words that "society" has told me I am not allowed to say. I got out of my way actually to use them in public, just to get under people's skin.

IMO there are no bad words, just bad context.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Interesting thread there, SolarE.

As for me, I would say that some of my favourite words are:

Perhaps: I love the word perhaps because it's like saying "maybe" but it sounds much more elegant and intelligent. It's the sort of word that you can say and stroke your chin at the same time and sound like a scholar!

Unfortunately: I also love this word because whenever you use it in an argument, it is so much easier to say "unfortunately, the sky is cloudy" rather than "It is a general disappointment that the sky is cloudy" because when you use the word unfortunate, it asserts the opinion in a general sense, meaning that because it is non possessive, what would of been your own opinion (in this case, the fact that you don't like it when the sky is cloudy) is now asserted as fact for everyone.

However: I use this word a lot in essays. It's very useful to use as the first word in your sentence after the previous sentence was started with the above word, "Unfortunately". I like it because you can go "Unfortunately, the sky is cloudy. However, it will be sunny tomorrow". Overall, it makes for a well structured essay in my own opinion, an important task I must be able to complete!

Soviet: I also like the word Soviet because not only does it sound like a sweet Russian word with a strong and tough connotation (as in Soviet Union), but it really means a local workers collective, which I believe is a concept that is outdated but really shouldn't be! But that's for another thread.

As for my least liked words, I would have to say the are:

Orwellian: Why this word? The truth is, I loved George Orwell's novel 1984, and I thought it was an amazing read, but after being on ATS for quite some time, I see this term misused and abused to which I have concluded that most people who claim America is "1984 come true" or "X" situation regarding the government is "Orwellian" have not actually read the novel and merely jump on the bandwagon with other conspiracy theorists to slam America and say "Yea, this is totally like Oceania!"

Anyways, there are my words! Cool thread!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I dislike the word choices

But I really enjoy the word spastic, and the band name Godspeed You! Black Emperor (their music isn't that great thought...)

I also like saying Oi!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Yo mods, what do I have to do to get this thread back in ATS? what the heck?

I thought this topic fit pefectly into the Psychology, Philosophy, and Metaphysics.

Think about it... and get back to me.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Favorite

Snuggles
Especially when it's plural.

Fuzzy
This isn't a word I get to use very often. But it's a very warm and...well, fuzzy word.

Zdravstvuite
Only word I'm aware of in any language with seven phonemes in one syllable. (It's russian for hello.)

Yes
It's so nice to hear a simple, "yes." No qualifications. No eleborate conditions, exceptions or needless explanations. Just...yes. It's rare for people to give direct answers, and it's generally nicer to receive a yes than a no.

Least Favorite

Paradox
Too many people incorrectly use this word to mean "not obvious."

Should
Nobody seems to understand what this word means either. Instead it's generally used to imply some sort of obligation.

Ignorant
Massively overused. It seems like people use this as a general label for anyone who disgarees with them about anything.

Hate
In this case...this is a word that I'm not really certain what it means. But a lot of people use it, and I'm not completely clear on what they intend by it, but whatever it is, it seems to be something they dislike.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There's a word that makes me laugh due to the circumstances in which I discovered it.

When I was about 12, a friend of my mother's had been abroad and brought back some 'exotic' books - the like of which I would never have found on the bookshelves at home

I sorted out one to read, mainly because I liked the cover, and became so engrossed in it that I took it on holiday to my grandparents' house.

I came across a long word that I couldn't pronounce and was unable to fathom the meaning of.

I took the book to my grandmother and pointing at the word asked:

What's a s-on-offa-b....

"Hmmpph" she said "that's a nice book you're reading"

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
One of my favorite words is : ishkabibble

top topics

join