It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superyacht transforms into 'pleasure submarine'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
CNN

Now how cool would this be to be able to cruise along on your yacht one minute, and go submersible the next? I would assume you would have to be pretty wealthy to be able to afford one of these though. Leaves me out, but I like the thought of it.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reminds me of Captain Nemo, also known as Prince Armitage Ranjit Dakkar.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I always liked that book, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the movie,
and Capt Nemo and his Nautilus was amazing.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
ahh nice to see somthing else I will never be able to buy

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Nah they can keep it...my sea legs are useless

Line sorry

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifersjester

I know what you mean.

If Richard Branson gets his hands on this or something like this I guess it will be another first to go around the world in a submersible yacht adventures.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Nice toy indeed, but if I had money for it I wouldn't go submerged in areas where the big nuclear subs are patrolling.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Yeah, I had kinda wondered how the militaries would appreciate some added underwater traffic.
Then I bet you would be boarded by DEA and USCG quite alot too.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Awesome, finally real life is catching up to the movies! This is totally James Bond territory. Thanks for posting!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Awesome, finally real life is catching up to the movies!
I won't say that until it's actually built:

Still at the design stage, if built, the "U-010 Undersea Yacht" would be the first to combine underwater exploration with all the comfort and style of a modern superyacht, say its designers.

So who knows if it will get built? But it does sound pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The designer is talking about getting some engineering help for this. That of course means that the design was done by a 3d artist not a nautical engineer or submarine engineer. In other words it is a computer model worthy of some 3d animation and not much more at this point.

The cost for building a sub is in the engineering and testing added to the basic fabrication cost. Hydrostatic testing, x-ray of every one of the seams, all this after years of careful welding by highly skilled workers. This boat would cost no less than $200,000,000-$300,000,000 to built out test and take to sea trials. That is if he does it in Thailand or Singapore. If you did this in Europe it would be more like half a billion.

The reality of the cost and complexity of taking a simple computer model and turning it into a world traveling sub-yacht is daunting at best. Pretty pictures though. I think I would try and sell the model to a movie outfit to get it some screen time first. That might work up the demand to build the real one.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
By the time they put it into production and I can afford one, there won't be anything to see out in the oceans anyway, except for the oil, rubbish and dead fish.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This would pay for itself 10 times or more with just ONE CIA coke trip to columbia!!!!!!!

I'm game! Pick me CIA!!!

top topics

join