It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the gaming industry in America?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FuzzyDunlop

if you ask me the main intent of the gaming industry is entertainment and if you look at the written history of entertainment it has been to intertain a "certain group of people" basically entertainment is meant for the ruling class first and foremost mainly to enforce thier ideoligy. I was going to go off on this topic like alot of " " people went off on the person who started it. But im not trien to convince anyone anymore including my self it is what it is ive had white culture shuved down my throat all my life and i will say one thing at the least bieng a minority let alone bieng black is challenging. They can hire whoever they want this is low level tech to them most of these companies are govnmt funded distractions like many things are. the messed up thing is the ones controlling dont care about there so called own people the illuminated are above all no matter the race of the individual. They occupy you while they foucus on the real agenda someone said its black peoples own fault yea it is the reason this whole thing was created is our fault life is our fault this country was desinged to be built on our back its the only way it could have been achieved but now is a new step in evolution blacks and whites will be left behind only the consious will remain. peace

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

this is a race baiting thread.

These topics get boring.

I am an amateur game developer. The industry is not racist. But it is sexist.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I think you need to grow up.

Just because no one is hiring you doesn't mean that all white people in the gaming industry is racist. Did you ever stop to think that no one is hiring due to the poor economy? Do your research and you'll find out that video game sales are down.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I have had to sort through literally hundreds of applications and interviews over the years and, in the end, what I want to know from the applicant is:
1) can you actually do what you say you can do (and be able to prove it)
2) are your skills a fit for this particular project and the needed deliverable

Most employers have a very tight budget, an even tighter timeline, and a very specific deliverable in mind. They don't want to get part-way through a project and find out that one of their team members can't cut it. That would entail expensive corrections in order to get the project back on track. Most of the time there just isn't any room for "unknowns", learning curves, or mistakes. There is no time to bring a project to a grinding halt in order to sift through 200 more applications and interviews.

This is why sometimes yes it is about who you know. It is so much safer to hire someone when a trusted colleague can vouch for their skills and work ethic....they can show actual results. It is also true that a killer portfolio helps tremendously. If you can show that you have already done (and are very proficient in) what the employer is in need of, then they will be more willing to take a chance on you.

OP, I know it doesn't seem fair when it feels like no one will give you a chance. But you have to give yourself a chance by showing the very very very best of everything that you have (no race card, no excuses about lack of tutorials, and no excuses about film girls who didn't do good work). It would be 100 times worse to get hired to a position which you are really not qualified yet to hold, and then let the team and the employer down. It makes everyone feel terrible all the way around. And the incident would follow you everywhere in your industry.

I have seen a lot of people in this thread offer to help you. And I have seen some brutally honest and good advice given to you. It is fantastic that you are proud of the work that you have done and that you believe in yourself and what you know you can achieve. It sounds like you have chosen an extremely difficult industry in which to progress. Your confidence in yourself will hopefully continue to drive you as you learn and acquire the skills needed to get the positions which you want.

And yes...I think a person can find racism at just about every level of society. It has nothing to do with gaming. It has everything to do with human beings and all of their faults. Never use it as an excuse for failure. Figure out what you personally need to do to succeed.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

That's what I was thinking also. If I got the vibe during an interview someone was going to be 'trouble', I wouldn't hire them. I've worked with quite a few minorities that threatened to report discrimination to gain favorable treatment and entitlements non-minorities were not granted, such as excessive time off with pay and getting to pick their work shifts.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Work on your portfolio and do something unique. Don't bring up the race card ever again, even if it's true, if you want to make it in the industry get it out of your head unless you like being unemployed.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

I am in the process of developing my own commercial online indy fighting game. I am black. I have not expericieced racism by people asking about my game. Most of the time they want to know when I am going to finish the game.

The game industry is VERY sexist. But it is not racist.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
isnt africa filled with mostly blacks?

how is resident evil 5 racist when the game is going by the demographics?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Mate, do yourself a favour and create your own game and get it on Steam. Two guys created Terraria in 4 weeks and made 6 million pounds. Or create an iphone game, cheap and reasonably easy. Just make sure your game works on paper and the mechanics as a board game or something before coding. NAIL the design.

Don't bother applying to any companies - these places have 100 applicants for every job, even entry level ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join