It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the gaming industry in America?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
11 pages and dragnet still has not acknowledged the important question. The question that drives his earlier statements about racial issues in video games (because if video games show racism then obviously game studios are racist.) The question that, he is unable to answer, so he ignores, showing his own bigoted colors. This thread is over until you answer it. Everybody shouldn't even respond to him until he finally succumbs to it:

Why are African zombies racist but Spanish zombies or White zombies not?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
He is starting to make a bit more sense to me now.

This thread was started by the OP to complain about racism.

The only person who said anything racist so far has been the OP himself.

Now, in another thread about Nibiru, he says...

sure and ATS is a government front message board here to debunk anything that is not considered MSM. I am starting to believe other people's sayings on this. I noticed so many just stay in one thread all day long too.

Yet, we have this [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4c54d0955f4.jpg[/atsimg]

It seems to be a severe case of projection. Can that be a mental illness? If anything comes of this thread I hope it is that the OP learns at least a little something.

1-That complaining about false racism is not helping him get anywhere fast.
2-Doing the things you accuse others of kills your credibility in a big way.
3-The gaming industry is not looking for people who know next to nothing about making games.
4-Never call people with a lot of computer downtime and photopaint a stalker.

Edit to add: I dont want to make him look like a total hypocrite. 29 appears twice but I did not feel like fixing it so just to be upfront about that.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
If you are from Texas, and you're interested in getting into games, there is a very good school called "The Guildhall" at SMU. I went there a few years back and have been in the industry for 4 years now. If you do well, you'll make a lot of connections and the alumni usually keep and eye out for new Guildhall grads that apply to their game companies. Its an expensive school but it's worth it.

As far as racism is concerned, there isn't a lot of diversity, but it definitely does not come from any racist ideology. Most people I've met in the game industry are very liberal (damn near communist, lol) and pretty open minded.

Either way...getting into games has to deal with what you know, and who you know. Talent comes second to insider connections most of the time. However if you want to work for a big company like id, Bioware, Blizzard, or Valve, you'll need to be exceptionally talented...better than 90 percent of the people in the industry at this time. I had to work at 2 start ups before I graduated to the big leagues, and that's what most people have to do...but start with school. It will definitely help you get a foot in the door.

you can send me a personal message if you want further info on getting into the games industry. trust me, we aren't racist...we'll hire a black/mexican transvestite if they can code/concept/ or design a level
Good luck!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by barKochba

So I believe what you are trying to say is that you need talent.

It's a shame, really.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

I know that i'm going to be flamed for this one. To get into the gaming industry, you have to know people. Period

Naw.

What people don't realize is that game industry isn't all glamour. You want to be lead programmer for Fable 3? Guess what, no one starts out as the lead programmer. Everyone has to do their time. I love how all these recent grads come in and expect to be hired at certain pay grade and position, no dude, you gotta start at the bottom like everyone else. You have to prove yourself, a degree doesn't prove anything.

Do you want to get into the industry? You have to start at the bottom. Generally, the bottom is Q&A. That's where my partner started, straight out of high school, it was crap, with low pay and long hours and sometimes weeks with no work, but today just a scant three years later he is the lead tester for a major studio at a damn good salary. He proved him self by taking it on the chin for a couple of years, and showing he COULD take it.

He makes hiring decisions for his testing teams and he avoids grads, they have high expectations with out the gump to put in the time.

I agree a 4 year degree is just going to get you not laughed out of the interview if you get one. REAL experience with REAL grinding with something useful to get you noticed over 100-200 other noobs applying for the same position.

Companies are cheap. Let's be real here. They want people that fall into 1 of 2 categories. They are good-decent at 9 or 10 different things or insanely good at 1-2 things(like say a high end coder on carmack's skill level). That's business.
They want a favorable return(to them) on their investment(their video game product) with the least amount of resources(from them) used. If they don't have to train you,manage you or teach you that saves them money.

You are just a cog in a very large profit conscious machine. They don't care about your ideas because they already have ideas for games planned years ahead. Unless your a producer(like kojima or shigeru) that either is a separate party on contract to supply software to a developer out of their own pocket(paying licenses to the publisher for distribution,marketing etc), then you can forget about your ideas making it into the next final fantasy or halo game.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Xenopathic Investigator]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by barKochba
If you are from Texas, and you're interested in getting into games, there is a very good school called "The Guildhall" at SMU. I went there a few years back and have been in the industry for 4 years now. If you do well, you'll make a lot of connections and the alumni usually keep and eye out for new Guildhall grads that apply to their game companies. Its an expensive school but it's worth it.

As far as racism is concerned, there isn't a lot of diversity, but it definitely does not come from any racist ideology. Most people I've met in the game industry are very liberal (damn near communist, lol) and pretty open minded.

Either way...getting into games has to deal with what you know, and who you know. Talent comes second to insider connections most of the time. However if you want to work for a big company like id, Bioware, Blizzard, or Valve, you'll need to be exceptionally talented...better than 90 percent of the people in the industry at this time. I had to work at 2 start ups before I graduated to the big leagues, and that's what most people have to do...but start with school. It will definitely help you get a foot in the door.

you can send me a personal message if you want further info on getting into the games industry. trust me, we aren't racist...we'll hire a black/mexican transvestite if they can code/concept/ or design a level
Good luck!

I wonder how much money you would save if you started a game studio in mexico city?

hmmmm no minimum wage,health care or social security?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xenopathic Investigator

Human rights in the video game industry are down-right deplorable now as it is. Mandatory 6-7 day work weeks during crunch, high-stress days of never leaving the office, constant thread of layoffs when the project is done.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

Human rights in the video game industry are down-right deplorable now as it is. Mandatory 6-7 day work weeks during crunch, high-stress days of never leaving the office, constant thread of layoffs when the project is done.

What do you think a mexican programmer would work for per month? $1600-1800?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'd pay them $600 a month and give them a free copy of the game.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
I mean what I have seen it is purely noticeable that companies hire mostly white people in the industry. Once in awhile they will hire that minority just to appease the Affirmative Action law. I myself am minority and trying to get into the industry. I know I have strong work and was even told by people at Disney, but I have yet got into the field as of yet. I even tried entry level positions.

If you look at some companies team photos you will see nothing, but white and occasionally once in awhile you get a token in that picture. I kind of laugh at companies that state they are an EEO company and yet all one color. I know there are really talented minorities out there and wonder why they haven't been hired? it is really odd in my book and I have written this on many of forums and got no reply from anybody in the gaming industry on this.

Just look at the games that come out like Resident Evil 5 or DragonAge Origins. In DragonAge Origins all the humans are white. I mean they do give you a way to colorize your character other than white. But none of the main characters were different color. In Resident Evil 5 you have Chris Redfield going against all black zombies in Africa. In all of the Resident Evil games I don't remember the virus being created in Africa. I think they wanted some controversy since it worked with Rockstar games.

A few games also had some main characters that were non-white like GTA series, but they were just using a stereo typical black person living in the ghetto style persona.

So if anybody works with the gaming industry is it true there is some sort of Racism in the field? I probably won't get a response though. I will personally keep on trying and figure out what gaming companies want in an artist.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by dragnet53]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by dragnet53]

Uh dude - I've been in the game industry for 8 years now. I have worked at Activision, NCSoft, and THQ. All of these companies have multi nationalities and ethnic groups. This post is beyond retarded, end of story. Games I have worked on are Tabula Rasa & Dungeon Runners, Call of Duty World at War, and on the current Homefront game at THQ. There is not much for racism in these offices. People here are relaxed and contributing to eachother to develop a great product. If there was racism, it would end quick with that person being fired end of story.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonified Ween

I don't know if you want to announce to the world that you worked on Tabula Rasa. Just saying.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
See when you were at school you were told everyone is equil, you were told that man and woman are also equil. However what they did not tell you (because I triggers conflicts) is that whilst we are equil in gods eyes we are not equil in abilitys. Males are better at some things then females and likewise females are better at somethings then males. Even more potentially explosive is the truth that some races are better at some things then other races.
It is a more mature to recognise this then go around believing this stupidity that we all have the same skills and are all equal.

Few examples:

When it comes to crafts, Asians and orientals are the best. Just look at the skilled work in their temples, carvings and fabric work.

Black people are generally gifted in the area of music ability and athletics

White people are very good at all things to do with technology and Science
Most inventors are white. The computer was invented by a white man, the transistor and practically all electronic components were invented by the white man. Your car, the aeroplane, electricity, the engine, the generator, the radio etc etc etc This is the truth, go look it up if you like.

Should you be surprised that there is a predominance of white people in your chosen profession...NO, its just the way it is.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
#1. what % of the American people are black? 12%
#2 How many black people work in Tech?
#3 out of all Tech how many black people work in design?
#4 out of all design how many black people specifically design on Gaming Engines?

That's why there are more White people in the gaming industry. Wanna change it? JOIN!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

ERROR:403

[edit on 12-7-2010 by computerwiz32]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I guess the video game industry is no longer racist? Surprised the OP just dropped off the face of the Earth from this thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

I agree on certain points I disagree on others. For example I agree that men are generally better than men at certain things and vice versa. And that black people are general better at certain athletic events.

I don't agree that certain races are innately better a certain non physical tasks rather it is just a product of the culture and evironment they were brought up in.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
reply to post by LUXUS

I agree on certain points I disagree on others. For example I agree that men are generally better than men at certain things and vice versa. And that black people are general better at certain athletic events.

I don't agree that certain races are innately better a certain non physical tasks rather it is just a product of the culture and evironment they were brought up in.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by LightFantastic]

No race is better at anything. During the time our bodies unwent the changes that brought about "races" we were starving to death and nearly extinct. Humans wanted to kill each other.

Seriously what keep us from starving to death like the other hominids is our big brains,archiving information,word of mouth archiving,creation of tools,team work, and diplomacy. Without that you are dead when challenged by say a bear or jaguar that is both faster than you more powerful than you and biult from the ground up to kill and be powerful.
All the bullcrap strength cannot even kill an adult boar 1 on 1.

So take all that racial darwinism and go flush it because it doesn't hold water.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

There was this guy that believed that once. He said that certain races are just superior to others in certain regards, and others inferior. Some so inferior that certain things bring down others genetically. He said one race in particular was superior over other races in almost every regard.

Gee....for the life of me his name is slipping my mind. :T

There are some minor differences in races, but they are superficial. Skin color, nose size, bone structure. Humans have to same capacity no matter what their geneology.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I didn't read through the entire thread, so my apologies if I'm asking things you've already answered:
You're looking for a job in some capacity as either a concept artist or... sorry, forget the official title, but building the actual digital models?
I have a friend that has done *some* concept work for Disney interactive and is still nowhere near getting full-time work at a game studio. My bias aside, his work is on par with any of the concept artists that work on AAA movie or game titles. It's not an easy industry to break into (not just gaming, but any commercial art). It's hyper-competitive and has been made even more so by the economic downturn and shrinking market for magazines and increasing production costs for videogames. Being good isn't good enough. You have to be exceptionally good. And you need luck. And networking skills. You're competing for a job in an industry where there are no jobs, yet people keep piling into. You need your name and work to be instantly identifiable in the heads of the art directors or people doing the hiring. I've had a lot of art directors at large design and ad firms tell me I have a strong portfolio and ask me to stay in touch. I've yet to receive a job offer. It doesn't lessen my talent, but I can't be given a job that there is no opening for.

As for race in games and the development community, as has been mentioned, there is a perception, true or not, that the majority of gamers are caucasian, and unfortunately some people are less inclined to give a game a chance if their avatar in the game is of a different background. Games are business, business strive to maximize profit, especially when the stakes are as high as they are in gaming - one blockbuster game falling on its face can bankrupt a studio.
Also, while I attended art school It was impossible to not notice that the student body was made up of an almost even split between white and asian students, with very few of other races. Speaking only to the number of white students - Art school is frivolous. You are going to an institution from which MAYBE 5% of those enrolled will be successful, or even able to find work, in their fields. Students able to go to a school like that usually come from middle to upper-middle class backgrounds. People from families in that income bracket are more likely to be white. So you have a field that skews to white employees of a middle class background. Usually the same background that would allow them to grow up with videogames and give them the skill set needed.

I'm not saying you don't have talent, you most likely do. We've just chosen an incredibly difficult field to make any headway in - the odds are firmly against us even if the economy was booming. Don't take no for an answer, keep pushing to get better at what you do, and find out where you need to be to meet the people you need to meet to make lucky breaks happen.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wow, now I regret not reading an additional 2 pages into this thread, the OP is ridiculous. I'm also sad that I was so late to the dance, I missed a lot of laughs and good times.

OP: I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a U2U with a link to your online portfolio, I'm curious to see your work (I'm not looking to insult you or anything, I honestly hope I look at your work and am inspired and challenged to better myself by it). If you don't have an online portfolio (even a blogspot or deviantart account are acceptable, or online folio on a site like conceptart.org-they have a section for 3D modelling)... then you probably aren't as good as you think, or at least don't have the first idea about how to get your work out there and actually get a job.

I don't want to touch on the racism stuff again (i wouldn't want to, even with a 10 foot wacom stylus -hey oh, really lame art nerd joke), but perhaps you should, for now, stop trying to find work. Track down the contacts for the people who would be your boss, email, or preferably phone, them and *politely* ask if they could make time in their schedule for a face to face. If you have to travel to California or elsewhere to do this, then that's what you have to do. If they say no, be polite and respectful...
If they agree to sit down with you, even for 5 minutes, go in looking for advice, not work. Ask them what they look for in employees, ask them where they think you could improve your portfolio. It's amazing what help will be offered to you by people in the industry if you go to them asking how to improve your skills, and can demonstrate an honest desire to become better at what you do.
I had a teacher tell my class that it takes, on average, 5 years of determination and serious self promotion and networking for a commercial artist (i would assume this extends to digital art for games) to establish themselves as being commercially viable. He's been at the top of the illustration field for the last decade, so I'd give some weight to what he has to say.

To any other ATS artists/photographers/creative types still following this thread - Any interest in networking, sharing links to portfolios or whatever? I'm always up for finding new art.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join