It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Who in Ufology?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Hello all!

Right! I could do with some opinions here, please!

First, what books are best for research and a good read about ufology?

Second, who are the best people to listen to regarding UFOs and who are the people that are just out for publicity/money/fame?

The reason I ask is that I think myself and others would benefit from knowing who is who

e.g. Jaime Maussan. Now, I used to watch his videos and listen to him until my friend Maybe… maybe not revealed him to be like, most others, a money grabber. So now I have no faith in what he has to offer or say – period!

But who else is out there? Who’s who? Who’s the good guys & who’s the bad guys?

Side note Many Thanks to Maybe… maybe not

[edit on 1-7-2010 by k3rm1t]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The good guy/bad guy thing has come up many times on ATS.

Good guy - Stanton Friedman

Bad Guys - too numerous to mention - but baddest of the bunch $tephen Greer

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion
The good guy/bad guy thing has come up many times on ATS.

Good guy - Stanton Friedman

Bad Guys - too numerous to mention - but baddest of the bunch $tephen Greer

Stanton Friedman agree but who else is there that are good guys?
Thanks for input as well

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Well, how are you going to quantify who is good or bad?

If it goes on something like profits made, well, Stanton has sold some books hasn't he? So we could potentially argue he's in it for the money. He has had a decent job though, so maybe he's just in it for the fame?

How about on the basis of who has been known to promote "Known hoaxes"? Well, apart from some cases that are so obvious it's stupid, everyone has their own threshold on evidence, and what is good/bad.

The only way to do this in my opinion, is to just read as many authors, statements, reports, etc, as possible, and make your own mind up.

Only you can decide who is good or bad in a topic area such as UFO that is so full of speculation, allegations, and unknowns.

I enjoyed the works of Timothy Good, and the stuff like the Lear/Lazar texts. Doesn't mean I believe them, but I found them interesting to read.

[edit on 1/7/2010 by harpsounds]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Stanton Friedman?

Really?

Do you think he works for free? Or could it be that you just like him because of his long-time media exposure?

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but Escamilla is a very high-profile celebrity in Mexico, and I would be interested if the opposite judgment prevails south of our border.

This is a good topic OP, If we can get people to participate we might come up with a very useful guide to some of the personalities involved.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you
See i personally thought as you said some sort of Guide for members like me at least then we have a starting point.I don't want to read a book and then find out that the author [ufologist] is a fake.I have a personal interest in this subject [hobby more like ] and only know of a few people but most are now shown to be fakes/hoaxes.I also appreciate people here have their own opinions.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
We can listen one's to reinforce our beliefs but i dont think anyone is beter than another. It's an event you have to live through to believe.

So sharing is irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by k3rm1t

but baddest of the bunch $tephen Greer
You could say he is the worst if you were stupid enough to buy stuff from him which you didn't have to buy in the first place.

On the other hand, you could also say he is the best simply because of his work on the Disclosure Project.

[edit on 1/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So who do members here listen to and why?
Who should we avoid and why?
As for the books any best reads or books that members can recommend.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
OK found this list thought it may start me off.

Jerome Clark
Stanton T. Friedman
Richard F. Haines, Ph.D
Bernard Haisch, Ph.D
James A. Harder, Ph.D
John Keel
Bruce Maccabbee, Ph.D
John E. Mack, Ph.D.
Peter A Sturrock, Ph.D.
Jacques Vallee, Ph.D
Source and more info on the people listed above

Now I have just read through a little background etc.. for each of the people listed above and I must say just reading a little about them, these are people that to me I would listen to when it comes to anything [within limits I should say] regarding UFOs.
Are some of these not to be taken serious or who would any of you say is worth listening to.
Example:

Peter A Sturrock, Ph.D.: British Scientist. He studied mathematics at Cambridge University where he earned his Ph.D. Much of his career has been devoted to electron physics, particle accelerators, plasma physics, solar physics, astrophysics, and scientific interference. He was appointed professor of applied physics at Stanford University, where he is now professor emeritus. Gaining interest in UFology, and curious about the general attitudes toward the field, Sturrock conducted two major surveys involving more than 2,500 scientists. Upon learning that a majority of scientists favored better research of UFOs, Sturrock helped establish the Society of Scientific Exploration to provide a forum for the subject. His studies have since been published.

Must say impressive well for me that is.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Stanton Friedman?

Really?

Do you think he works for free? Or could it be that you just like him because of his long-time media exposure?

I think Stanton is genuinely interested in Ufology. I may not agree with all his findings but I believe he is sincere and that puts him in my good books. I'm happy for him to earn as much money as he can make from sincere work.

Greer on the other hand has latched on to Ufology as a cash cow. He has been promising "disclosure" for over a decade and has only disclosed the fact that CSETI is a fraud (think moths and joshua tree branches).

Recommended books:

Project Beta - Greg Bishop (a very disturbing insight into the dark side of ufology)
Shockingly Close to the Truth - James Moseley/Karl Pflock
Flying Saucerers - David Clarke/Andy Roberts
UFOs & Ufology -The First 50 Years - Paul Devereux/Peter Brookesmith
works of Jerome Clark

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

Thanks for the list of books i will look into them.Have you a personal preference from that list?.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by k3rm1t

k3rm1t, Project Beta would rate very high on my list (one-time ATS contributor John Lear is featured in the book!). Flying Saucerers, too, although both are more about the culture of Ufology and Ufologists rather than nuts and bolts flying saucers.

As you live in Blackpool you could try The Dyfed Enigma by Randall Jone Pugh & F.W. Holiday (Faber & Faber 1979). Many of the cases will be almost on your doorstep. Also The Welsh Triangle by Peter Paget. These books are "nuts and bolts flying saucers and occupants" works.

Another one worth looking for The Missing Times by Terry Hansen (2000)

cheers

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by k3rm1t

Jerome Clark
Stanton T. Friedman
Richard F. Haines, Ph.D
Bernard Haisch, Ph.D
James A. Harder, Ph.D
John Keel
Bruce Maccabbee, Ph.D
John E. Mack, Ph.D.
Peter A Sturrock, Ph.D.
Jacques Vallee, Ph.D

That is a very good list IMO.

Here is a hardcore scientist/engineer with an open mind who is often overlooked in ufology: Paul R. Hill

Hill received his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics Option (Specialty) from the University of California, Berkeley in 1936. He also participated in graduate courses at the University of Virginia Extension during his employment with NACA, but considered himself primarily self-educated in mathematics and analysis.

If you want to read what a real scientific mind writes like then read his book Unconventional Flying Objects. Should be required reading in colleges across the country.

As far as I can tell, he was the first open scientist to postulate that UFOs use some sort of "force field" that acts on all matter and not just charged particles. This helped explain a UFOs "tilt to manuever" and "falling leaf" motion often described by witnesses. It explained why UFOs are silent. Why occupants wouldn't be crushed under high acceleration forces. Why the UFO can do 5000 mph at 18,000 ft altitude without burning up. Why the UFO displays the colors it does. He was the postulate that all those mysteries can be explained by one hypothesis... this mysterious force field (not necessarily anti-gravity).

The best thing about Hill is he comes across as more sincere than probably any UFOlogist in history. His book wasn't published till after his death, so he didn't make a dime.

Hill was probably one of the most qualified people in history to believe that UFOs were not manmade. Unlike people today (who have been infected with baloney tv shows and movies) Hill actually understood the enormous feat it would take to engineer a craft that could travel 100 light years.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Scramjet76]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Thanks that link to Paul R. Hill has some interesting read.Some nice theories also.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by k3rm1t

k3rm1t.....

I think Dr Jonathon Reed is a really good guy.

You should start with him.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Thanks i will look into him and a few others must say thanks to all this helps a lot.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by k3rm1t

Thanks i will look into him and a few others must say thanks to all this helps a lot.

k3rm1t.....

Here he is!

And.....he's got an alien in his freezer!!!!

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by k3rm1t

k3rm1t.....

But really.....

Read up on Reed / Rutter.

He's a little treasure!