It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Who in Ufology?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
There's really only one place to start your quest: ufowatchdog.com

And Reed? LOL!

dB

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Another tip, k3rm1t.

When it comes to some American authors/researchers/experts take the use of "Dr" and "phd" with a pinch of salt!

Such "qualifications" may not be what they seem.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Best UFO books I ever read came to me in a black bin bag, from a friend of a friend, and I think they were found in a skip somewhere. They were old paperbacks from the 50s and 60s and included
Flying Saucers and the Three Men - Albert Bender
The Warminster Mystery and Warnings From Flying friends - Arthur Shuttlewood
Strangers From the Skies and The Flying Saucer Menace - Brad Steiger

I liked them because they were filled with mostly 'what the witness saw' kind of stories (my preference) and they were out before this major 'contamination by media' that seems to affect UFO lore these days.

It's the witness testimony that's the most important part of any UFO book, not the authors opinion. That's why I don't 'dis' any UFO book just because the author might be a plank.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Flying Saucers and the Three Men - Albert Bender

Ah, yes! The origin of the MIB mythology!

First published in 1962 by Gray Barker's Saucerian Books.

Read Moseley/Pflock's Shockingly Close to the Truth for an insight into Bender and Barker!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
There's a big Who's Who of guys in Ufology. They're easy to find. Hell, Steven 'all major credit cards accepted ' Greer and Bob 'I've met Annunaki' Dean are significant people in Ufology. Are they credible? God no! Is the truth about UFOs to found from the Exopolitics people? That'll be negatory also

The hard part is separating the BS merchants and lunatic fringe from the guys with an idea and the research to back it all up. The good guys don't have any answers, but they ask the best questions.

A great place to start finding out about the current best is The Paracast Archives. Three years of interviews with the great and the shameful. Some of my favourite interviews are with Dr Richard Haines, Kevin Randle, Stan Friedman, Don Ecker, Frank Warren , George Knapp and Robert Hastings . These are guys specifically grounded in UFOs. Until recently they were hosted by David Biedny and Gene Steinberg...great hosts.

Recent hosts have included Chris O Brien, Paul Kimball and Greg Bishop. They have their own ideas about the UFO field and, agree with them or not, they're worth listening to.

Don Ecker has his Dark Matters Radio show that goes out 5 nights a week. He's the ex-head honcho of UFO Magazine and a researcher of some 30 years. The recent show archives are available...Dark Matters Archive.

You don't have to agree with them all...they don't always agree with each other. The thing is, listening to some of these shows is as close to a college course in Ufology as you're likely to get. All the great names and incidents since the 50s are discussed. Some guys get flamed and they explain why.

There's always Timothy Good, Nick Redfern, Mac Tonnies, Don Keyhoe, Hynek, Vallee and Imbrogno to look into too. A lot of very good books have been published by some of the names I've mentioned or linked so far.

I've recently come back to the ETH as my favourite hypothesis and realised how modern Ufology has hardly changed since the late 50s. That's not a criticism...just an opinion through observation.

With that in mind...Donald Keyhoe published a seminal Ufology book way back in 1950. The themes are still there today. You can download it for free...Donald Keyhoe - The Flying Saucers Are Real

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words, Kandinsky. Like I said earlier, though, UFOWatchdog.com is the most important reference on the web, IMO, and it's only going to get better.

dB

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davidbiedny

Thanks for the kind words, Kandinsky. Like I said earlier, though, UFOWatchdog.com is the most important reference on the web, IMO, and it's only going to get better.

It's good to see you posting again. I couldn't find the new link to UFO Watchdog. It was at the top of the Paracast banner next to Tech Night Owl. It's not there according to my browser?!

Anyway, for people unfamiliar with the UFO Watchdog...it's a site featuring the Famers and the Shamers. Nobody is in there without a consensus and track record. The good guys are there on merit as much as the wasters are in the Hall of Shame on merit.

UFO Watchdog: Hall of Fame

UFO Watchdog: Hall of Shame

Anyone can sign up and post their own suggestions in the UFO Watchdog Forums

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Anyway, for people unfamiliar with the UFO Watchdog...it's a site featuring the Famers and the Shamers. Nobody is in there without a consensus and track record.

While I agree with you that the UFO Watchdog is a great resource, I'm not sure what you mean by the bit in your post about a consensus (highlighted above).

Until the Paracast team took over the UFO Watchdog (temporarily??), I thought the UFO Watchdog basically set out the personal views of Royce Myers. The websire was well worth reading given that Royce was (and presumably still is...) very well informed about the UFOlogical scene, objective and persistent.

However, I don't recall any attempt to obtain any sort of consensus being made until the recent attempts by the Paracast team to revive and update the UFO Watchdog, in relation to which comments were invited on the Paracast forum.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Fair point. I was referring to the recent Paracast forum where members could provide suggestions and evidence. I added some points about Bob Dean and saw him included some time later. That's not to say the post was significant, merely a proverbial straw. On the other hand, the notion of a consensus is appealing.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Royce has recently taken back UFO Watchdog from the Paracast. As I understand it, the Paracast itself will no longer be involved in UFO Watchdog, including the forums, unless Royce chooses to consult them, which I personally kind of doubt.

It is true that Watchdog is largely the work of Royce and includes his views, but he is rarely off the mark. Most people in the UFO field are easy to type, though there are a few who could go either way. Royce has done some GREAT research on several people such as "Dr." (Ha!) Reed, Sean David Morton, Karl K. Korff, Ed Dames, and the Alien Autopsy.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks for the update. I'm on Paracast most days and didn't realise. For what it's worth, UFO Watchdog had a better format under the Paracast.....in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
the notion of a consensus is appealing.

Appealing, yes.

Achievable? - maybe, between some researchers.

I'm not sure whether it is more efficient and effective for one researcher (or a VERY small group) to simply get on with relevant research and decide on such lists, rather than seek consensus between more people.

Sometimes more effort is spent within ufology on organising and discussing groups than actually getting stuff done...

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 2-7-2010 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Paracast format was based on a database that presented significant difficulties to transfer since the database required a lot of backroom infrastructure. Each posting was a 'record' in the database and the look was pretty much forced on you. It certainly had a 'cleaner' look to it, but putting it back into html will make it much easier to change the look in the future.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Sometimes more effort is spent within ufology on organising and discussing groups than actually getting stuff done...

I've been trawling through the Flying Saucer Reviews of the 1950s. As far as I can tell, very little has changed since.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by k3rm1t
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Thanks i will look into him and a few others must say thanks to all this helps a lot.

k3rm1t.....

Here is proof of Dr Reed's alien bracelet.

This important evidence has been validated by the knowledgable & respected Mr Jaime Maussan.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The kind of post above is why you need to take a look at UFOWatchdog. Royce Myers has exposed Reed as a complete and utter fraud. He has no doctorate of any kind. He is a compulsive liar. His real name is John Bradley Rutter.

Read it and weep: www.ufowatchdog.com...

Here's the entry on Maussan: www.ufowatchdog.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Mexico and Ufology should not go in the same sentence. There have been too many bad hoaxes come out of Mexico and lots of bad press regarding the subject. The second anyone says "UFO and Mexico" in the same sentence, I automatically think hoax before I even look.

With that said - Stanton Friedman is easily one of the "good guys" in the UFO field and he may even top the list. He puts research into his work before he says a word and he never assumes anything. He looks at facts and logic before all else.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
The kind of post above is why you need to take a look at UFOWatchdog. Royce Myers has exposed Reed as a complete and utter fraud. He has no doctorate of any kind. He is a compulsive liar. His real name is John Bradley Rutter.
Read it and weep: www.ufowatchdog.com...
Here's the entry on Maussan: www.ufowatchdog.com...

Schuyler.....

Well that's easy for you to say.

Just wait until someone puts an alien in YOUR freezer!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
As Schuyler points out, anyone still looking into Reed is ignoring the facts that Royce put together long ago, as well as the evidence of the "case". Maussan is responsible for the popularization of so much junk, that he's contributed towards the poisoning of the good cases coming out of Mexico over many years.

And it's good to see you in cyberspace again, Schuyler.

The UFO Watchdog is no longer associated with The Paracast. Royce has resumed control of the site and the content, which benefited from a significant overhaul and updating done by Schuyler last year. Schuyler's abilities as a researcher and writer are considerable, as amply demonstrated in his Paracast forum postings, and work in the Watchdog.

In order to make any kind of progress in untangling the UFO enigma, one has to cut through much garbage, and it seems that most people are destined to have to make the journey through the muck all on their own. You can believe anything, and given the fact that people still seem to find so much nonsense compelling, it would seem like the situation is not likely to get better anytime soon. There are are LOT more people contributing to the noise, than helping find the signal.

dB

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by davidbiedny

Davidbiedny…..

As Schuyler points out, anyone still looking into Reed is ignoring the facts that Royce put together long ago as well as the evidence of the "case".

”Anyone still looking into Reed is” either an idiot….. or like me…..someone who sees it as a fun alternative to watching an episode of Monty Python’s Flying Circus!

Reed / Rutter descended into farce years ago.

What did you make of Reed’s “shooting”? Did he shoot himself to perpetuate his BS? Did he fake the wound? I figure it’s the latter.

Maussan is responsible for the popularization of so much junk, that he's contributed towards the poisoning of the good cases coming out of Mexico over many years.

I agree…..Maussan is a willful liar & hoaxer who has his snout shoved well & truly in the trough of junk Ufology.

The UFO Watchdog is no longer associated with The Paracast. Royce has resumed control of the site and the content, which benefited from a significant overhaul and updating done by Schuyler last year. Schuyler's abilities as a researcher and writer are considerable, as amply demonstrated in his Paracast forum postings, and work in the Watchdog.

I agree…..The watchdog has been a fantastic source of info over the years!

In order to make any kind of progress in untangling the UFO enigma, one has to cut through much garbage, and it seems that most people are destined to have to make the journey through the muck all on their own. You can believe anything, and given the fact that people still seem to find so much nonsense compelling, it would seem like the situation is not likely to get better anytime soon. There are are LOT more people contributing to the noise, than helping find the signal.

I agree…..& that is a great shame.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join