It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk DNA.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Something is wrong with us. If DNA is a language, then that means somehow it has been corrupt. That means in order to fix it we need to find the programmer, and nobody knows who the programmer is.

Its taken multiple civilisations, billions of lives and tens of thousands of years, and we are on the verge of cracking the biggest code of them all, yet we cannot put childish things like war and greed behind us.

Maybe its for the best if we destroy ourselves, can you imagine an advanced race hell bent on conquest and war, rampaging the galaxy? Because that is exactly what we would do, in the name of capitalism

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Firefly_]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Hi

I've experienced a few things separate from each other as well as related, throughout my life, that there is more out there then we can perceive with our current artificial and natural senses.

These and others make me convinced, I know there is more then meets the eye.
I'm not saying what that is, I don't know.

I'm personally thinking of our universe as a sentient entity, Some call it God, some nature, all is fine with me. We are the result of an entity that is trying to get to know itself through its creation.

The Fibonacci sequence and others is IMO simply the building block where perfection proved to work flawless, and we are on a quest to understand why, understand nature or God and Vice versa.

So we are God and God is us, but God is much more then we. We are simply a part of.
For this entity to actually evolve it needs a language to make us go a head instead of backwards.

Am I making sense ?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

I don't think the language is being corrupted from outside.
We ourselves or our individuality has become corrupted and out of balance.

We can not hear what is said anymore. We have shut it off and only learn to trust in our self.

How does that sound ?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

GREAT JOB! GREAT THREAD!
I haven't got a chance to watch the videos yet, but I will when I get home today.

I am going to agree and say that the 95-97% of our DNA that is considered “junk,”
is NOT JUNK!!!

It is the entire history of our planet and universe(s).

The first intelligent beings could have developed billions of years ago since the universe is 13 billion years old, and it is still getting increasingly older with every new discovery we make. It is possible that those being have since been seeding the habitable planets of the universe with life. They then let that life evolve its own way on its own planet. This would insure the life’s survival.

These beings store their entire history and the history of our creation inside our very own DNA, so that whenever a species gets to the point where they are intelligent enough to start decoding their DNA to find out what it all means they will be blessed with the entire knowledge of life in the universe.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by Firefly_

I don't think the language is being corrupted from outside.
We ourselves or our individuality has become corrupted and out of balance.

We can not hear what is said anymore. We have shut it off and only learn to trust in our self.

How does that sound ?

But what if DNA programs things like personality, morality, personal taste, and other things? I mean things like this are passed down genetically, and I have seen some really interesting studies regarding twins seperated at birth which shows the twins being almost identical in them being clones in things like the above. Environment is not the only thing that shapes a personality.

What if we ever do manage to unscramble this DNA, maybe that will show us the way to our programmer. Because this seems to be the only place that will show us who the programmer is. It could even become possible that different species or dare i say it, races, might have certain signatures in them, and a particular programming style, that suggest there was more than one programmer?

But if it was shut off, it was shut off for a reason, because its shut off in us all at birth. We dont know who by, or for what reason. We are given ideas, but all in books maintained and completely misused and abused, altered, taken from, added to, etc. But it is evidently to ensure our failure as a species, because we are doomed to a cycle of ever-repeating histories. We will run out of time eventually.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here's my take:

How often does nature just toss in "junk?"

Tonsils, appendixes, or whatever are vestigial throwbacks...I find it impossible to believe nature would stuff useless things into into our DNA, because, it's naturally inefficient. It costs valuable energy to cart that junk around.

I also find it colorfully absurd to ascribe to the notion that since scientists can't figure something out, it clearly has no purpose.

Yeah...junk.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I really like that you went digging into this subject. It is an extensive read that I will finish later. One of my main interests is genetics and I breed a whole bunch of animals to get a better understanding of genetics..

Zwarte Piet

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If you study any theory about information, it's propagation, error analysis algorithms you'll find about that ANY kind of it will probably suffer from errors along the way.

The most tangible example that you can compare nowadays is your computer. They transmit data all the time internally (within the components) and externally (internet, obviously) and these so called "errors" occur all the time. Anyway, I found something that can it explain much better than me:

In information theory and coding theory with applications in computer science and telecommunication, error detection and correction or error control are techniques that enable reliable delivery of digital data over unreliable communication channels. Many communication channels are subject to channel noise, and thus errors may be introduced during transmission from the source to a receiver. Error detection techniques allow detecting such errors, while error correction enables reconstruction of the original data.

Extracted from: en.wikipedia.org...

Many studies relate the junk DNA as strings of data necessary to locate errors that might have occurred in the replication process, transcription and so on.

It's just our body creating mechanisms to transmit data as perfect as possible.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I don't think DNA is actually a storage device. Yes some parts probably are, like the ones that say your human with blue eyes and stuff. The remembrance of long forgotten viruses and harmful organisms.

I think that part what might be a language is like that to be able to decipher the code when it gets new guidelines to follow. Something like after a mass extinction there follows an explosion of new life. And lets not forget the life that managed to adapt before it was to late. A receiver as well as the language that is used by the transmitter.

Maybe something as simple as a word could trigger these effects.

Reply to post by Firefly_

Maybe the genetics that make you a kind or hateful person are more then that.
We are way beyond floatyness here so... Maybe you're just the right person that reincarnated in that body ?

The consequence of a past life. Who knows ?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Nice job with the thread Sinter Klaas. While reading it I stumbled unto a question of comparison. Does anyone find it interesting that the vast majority of our DNA has an unknown purpose and the vast majority of the universe is of unknown matter?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DrDragonfly

I should have thought about a better name when I signed up.

I'm curious, what kind of animals do you breed ?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

I can even say it is about the same percentage.
If I remember correct, we only have about 4 % understanding of the cosmos.

If it indeed is linked, then we could expect new discoveries with on both parts when they occur. Can't we ?

Reply to post by tunin

Nature is always very sufficient. As perfect as possible. That does definitely does not explain why humans seem to have the most junk DNA from all the animals.

The computer thing I like but it is not binary code, more like quantum computer.
Even better. Perfect.

I don't know. You could be right.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The latest theory I hear regarding the Junk DNA was that it's in fact the entire set of instructions on how to form body parts. So in there according to this study we have all the keys that toggle and set how things should grow or become part of what.

They are now trying to gain control over these keys in the hopes that once mastered how these toggles work they would be able to grow human limbs in animals or simply force the human body to re-grow certain parts.

Others argue that the junk DNA part is in fact a history book left by aliens in our very own blood stream to allow human kind to become aware of it's true origins once in the correct evolutionary stage is reached.

Personally I'm of the opinion that there is more to this than just those and we might not find out so soon.

But this for me is one of the best examples that show how pretentious science in general really is and how little it really knows.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by guavas
Here's my take:

How often does nature just toss in "junk?"

Tonsils, appendixes, or whatever are vestigial throwbacks...I find it impossible to believe nature would stuff useless things into into our DNA, because, it's naturally inefficient. It costs valuable energy to cart that junk around.

I also find it colorfully absurd to ascribe to the notion that since scientists can't figure something out, it clearly has no purpose.

Yeah...junk.

I would say never, that's just what pretentious "scientists" like to think. For instance, there are studies that show that the appendix is in fact used to process certain elements of red meat and even though not necessarily primordial to keep the rest of the body working (at least in theory) some medics/scientists say it's still very much in use.

What I find incomprehensible is that the same people that love to say that nature leaves useless remains such as these untouched after millenniums of evolution are the exact same ones that believe and don't question not even for a moment things like natural selection, the evolution theory and all the related.

Nature for me isn't something inefficient to the point of replicating, developing and carrying junk around for so long. So if it's there it has a propose. It's just stupid to dismiss things as useless or non-important just because limited beings like us were incapable of finding it's propose.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

In a human it takes three billion (3,000,000,000) of those letters to represents a copy of you
So...we could store each letter in one byte....that means an entire human could be cloned with just 2.79GB of data...any one of my external hard drives could hold all the information required to make a human...in fact, a DVD disk could...that's a lot better than trying to write it out on books in a library with 48 feet of shelves...

So DNA is not just a molecule, DNA is a language. It is actually very comparable to English and human languages in the way that it is structured.
I would have thought it would be closer to a programming language...you state it has error handling techniques, and that's a crucial aspect any coder needs to keep in mind...I wonder if DNA even might use code reuse techniques such as method type operations, if that's even possible with DNA...

One thing is for sure, DNA holds the instructions required to form a human...therefore it must posses some sort of order and syntax, making it a language of sorts...but not only must it hold instructions, it must hold all the raw information which will define your "settings", so to speak...things like appearances, hair color, metabolism rate, and the overall architecture and design of that particular human body...this would indeed be a vast amount of information IMO, and it wouldn't posses much structure or order, because it's more like a database of information, rather than a set of instructions. Perhaps the vast "deserts" of junk DNA are like the information databases, and so they appear to just be an unordered bunch of data that contains subtle hints of structure because it is still information, and it is probably stored in some sort of order.

[edit on 1/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I don't think it is junk at all. I think it is a "behind the scenes" operative. We call it junk because we just don't understand its true functions yet.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Maybe every cell contains its own virus scanner and it quarantines virus code by commenting it out when it finds it. Offspring then inherit the virus definitions which helps protect them against those viruses too.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by blackhatchet]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
DNA is positioned in every cell core. It apparently can reach 2 meter all placed in a row and every cell in your body has its own piece.

Every aspect of what makes us human is said to be identified and still 96 % of it is unknown material.

Nature gets rid of stuff it doesn't use. 96 % of two meters of data from every cell in your body is unknown to us what it does and why it does it.

I think that is pretty amazing. Like

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
my first S+F I've given out. Absolutely superb thread, and really well explained (for muppets like me to understand
).

Some fascinating theories there, and I especially liked how you were very open to different angles unlike most threads were people state that there opinion is fact, it's great threads like this that got me interested in ATS... something that seems to be rapidly disappearing recently.

You've given me lots of info to read up on, thank you!

My personal opinion is not of a 'creator' as in a god or some other intelligent being/alien. However I have a belief that all energy is linked, and patterns that affect everything from from growth of flowers to the the growth of galaxies shares a common 'energy/force' i can't really explain what I mean very well here incase you haven't guessed, language was never a strong point for me

But having said that, the language/code theory of DNA certainly is the one point more so than anything that would point to a creator/designer of life, especially one as advanced as ourselves.

It'll be fascinating to see what else we can learn about the subject in the coming years, although I have a sneaky suspicion there will start to be some clear cross overs between new biological and particle physics discoveries.

And finally, thanks for bringing my faith in ATS back! You're hard work is much appreciated

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Hamsters & Rats (their mutation rates are rapid since they are adults and have their first litter within 3 months after birth) and Owls (fascinating because they do not have the x and y chromosomes but instaed the z and w chromosomes, which causes reversed effects on gender infertility when hybridizing).

I also breed some other animals, but not as frequent as I do the above.

Another name..Hell no...lol.. I think it's the best name I've seen in a long time.. It makes you stand out on an international forum..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join