It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countries Being Racist Of Their Own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
In a country where many are brown-skinned or black skinned, it is unfortunate that many of them resent their own skin colour. Many want to become fairer. Fairer people usually are symbolised to be more beautiful or wealthier. In the Asian countries, more and more teenage girls and boys want to become “fairer” due to parents rambling on how much more “beautiful” they will look and how many “more” people will want to marry them and that if they stay dark no one will want to marry them and…yeah, you get the picture.

In India, higher castes like the Brahmins and Kshatriyas are typically fair skinned so therefore darker skin is usually associated with the lower castes. Then we’ve got the whole Aryan invasion theory. Apparently, the Aryans relegated the dark skinned Dasas to a lower status; for some a slave status. Even in 2500BC Vedic poets went as far to say that dark skin symbolised, equalised evil e.g. demons, asuras. Dark skin is also equated to be being poor - people think that dark skin means that you have to work in the sun more and fairer don’t need to leave the house. Sorry, but have you heard about a thing called genetics?

I’ve got a traditional family behind my own back for the last couple of years, annoying me since I’ve got a tan that never went from Maldives. Countless number of times from family friends, even my grandmas, the first thing they say to my mum when they see me - “God, she’s gone so dark - why has she gone so dark?“ It’s not only me, but a large number of my friends. I’ve been given cucumbers, gram flour, lemons and yes, even saffron to try and make my complexion look the teeniest bit lighter.

Now mum’s thinking “creams.”

To any of you out there who blindly believe your skin colour will become lighter - it’s not true Sure natural things may work, I don’t really know but then again, I personally would trust natural stuff over some of the stuff they put in creams. There are just some creams which are a NO NO.

Melanin is what gives the skin its colour, it’s depth of pigmentation and is probably one of most significant components that help to protect the skin from UV radiation which is, obviously, very very harmful to your skin. Skin bleaching agents such as hydroquinone remove melanin in the skin and possibly prevent it from being produced. So as darker skinned people are at a lower risk of developing skin cancer and less wrinkles.

But yet, although the “medication” may initially work, dark patches appear as the body produces more melanin to compensate for the loss, therefore customers will apply more and more frequently which will lead to irreversible damage.

Here’s an awful image I found of what may just occur to you if you do use it - she‘s African and the bleach she used had apparently had hydroquinone in it:

Although this has been banned since 2000, there still have been many cases capturing many victims for example in 2007, in just one raid 2,300 products were found and so were the culprits; Qurban Hussain and Mohammad Ilyas Khan (East London).

Here’s an ad I found - it’s rubbish; I really don’t think it can happen.

Basically the one with the trolley goes what’s happened to your face and that you should use 9x. And you can basically see that the guard is in love with her now yaddii yaddi ya.

In this one, we see Sharukh Khan - known to be the ‘Brad Pitt’ of Bollywood. He’s one of the most leading actors.

In another one I’ve seen is this time a man using it and being liked my girls for marriage again.

And here’s an article which basically summed up my view: The Dark Side of Skin Whitening Cream (guardian)

Furthermore there are a minute amount of people in Bollywood and I personally think that most of them, most, get the roles which some people would call cheap. Yet, there are people like Ash Rai who reject creams and such - I say, good on them!

I really don‘t know where I‘m going with this thread but to be honest, I just wanna get the idea that don‘t do something stupid to look “beautiful.” Don’t just go by appearances, although they do have a factor , but look much more into their personality - what’s hidden inside them, it could be on the surface or it could be deep down (and yes, wayyyy deep down for some).

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, internally, externally - all you need to do is find it.

‘Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” - Kahil Gibran

[edit on 30/6/2010 by BlackPoison94]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Are you serious?

The battle isn't taking place in the 3rd dimension! Stop seeing with your physical eyes! There's a reason for the battles between tribes, look at historical records, the barbarians fought the Romans, the Phoenecians, Visigoths, white people, red, yellow, black, we are all killing each other, and planet Earth.

Why?

I am tired of people trying to declare superficial superiority.

GROW UP.
Put this garbage in the skunk works!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I wouldn't say it is racist as much as it is the result of psychological abuse.

Eugenics has been around as long as Darwinism and there are clear methods employed to push forward that agenda.

It is human nature to want to emulate what you see. In our nature we are like the moth to the flame. Knowing this, the MSM can portray an image that people want to aspire to. In the US this is really hard on girls. In India, where a good deal of your post is referring there are other challenges to consider. Capitalism has forced the change from matriarchal to patriarchal in that country and revolutionized the value system, for the worse, IMO.

India is a spiritual nation that is slipping into the darkness with the rest of humanity. It is sad to see that appearance has become the priority there as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The truth is alot of people find european features to be more appealing, Myself included. Im sorry....but im not racist for this am i? i dont think my european features are more 'superior'. I just like pale skin...blue eyes.

Its not that i find people of dark skin ugly....i just dont find it that appealing to the eyes sexually.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by proudcaptalist]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Well in america we want to be dark, and their they want to be white, isnt it funny that we want what we cant have?anyways, i dont think it matters as its simply how they want to be, so i say let them be, my two cents.

and not only that but why not talk to white americans about tanning? and just tell them it doesnt matter what color they are tan, or non tan.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by skischoow]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
When I hear the term, 'racism' I think obviously some people are more superior than others.

I'm not joking but I go to India quite often and I've seen the way some of the fair skinned people look down at those who are darker and working on the streets.

Can I please stress here, 'some'? Not everyone.

ProudCapitalist - Hey, that's your opinion ^^ I don't think your racist 'cause your not believing they're inferior
Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Skischoow - I forgot about the tanning. My bad. Sorry.
I get the whole 'let them be as they want to' but damaging themselves and regretting it in the future? Many of them don't even know what they're getting to.

Appreciate your opinions, everyone. Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it racism. As others have said, many white people want to have darker skin, so they get a tan.

I am very familiar with Thailand. Their top models are primarily girls with a Thai parent and a Western parent, giving them lighter skin and different facial features than the average Thai woman. Many Thai ladies that I have known also apply a whitening cream to their faces to look paler-skinned. They avoid situations in which their skin might tan. They also want the European nose. That's just the way it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Why do white people want to be darker?

I wouldn't peg this issue completely on racism.

I think it has to do with individual interpretation beauty.

Certainly a different color of skin or body part doesn't apply to everyone.

This seems to be another easy to exploit issue that can be tied to the big bad racist boogie-man.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well, there is something a bit odd going on and I can't quite put my finger on it yet either.

You know, the Chinese name for American is "mei-guoren" right? Which is a direct translation to "Beautiful people". And skin whitening creams in Hong Kong, Japan, and China proper is a massive, multi-billion dollar industry, as other posters have said here from Thailand etc.

The most racist country though in my view, in terms of institutional government-sanctioned discrimination is Malaysia in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

We in India have this problem. and people like me find it outrageous.
I am one of the few exceptions who love dark skinned girls and openly say to my parents that I want to marry one.

There was this Advertising Guru in India Prahlad Kakkar who made very striking statement regarding this issue:

" Typical Indian Male, when he sees a Dark skinned girl, he thinks of taking her to the nearest Hotel room, and when he sees a fair skinned girl he would think of taking her to his Mom, as a prospective Bride"

But, believe me there are guys like me in India, who have this strange thing for Dark Girls.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Karthik1981]

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Where im from, there are many skin colors but somehow there is less of the so called "fair skin" then ever before. To me it doesn't matter if your black or white or brown or yellow or even purple. Someday people will have to let go of their hatred towards peoples skin color and accept the fact that people will alway be different in their own special way.

top topics

join