It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skate boy's meteor pic stuns Nasa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by quadricle

I did several ATS searches on this but couldn't find anything.....

No big deal. I just posted the link for reference.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
cheers for that WOS.

The fuel burn idea mentioned in that thread sounds plausible, although I don't know enough about aircraft to know what one of those looks like.

The one thing that looks a bit odd if it WAS a meteor though, is the shortness of the trail. A fast meteor (I'd imagine) would have a longer straighter trail. The second, wider angle view shows the trail already starting to disipate, so maybe this thing was falling too slowly to be from space?

Maybe there was some sort of military test going on? or maybe just some near/actual accident they wanted to keep quiet given the war situation? The contrail theory though just doesn't wash for me though..particularly when you compare this image to the real thing.

good mystery!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I remember about 7 year when I was still in junior high. It was a night summer break had just begun when we saw a UFO for the very first time. We observed it for nearly 15 min ( although it had been there much longer ). Then, it suddenly sped off into the space leaving only a brief red tail of the after image of the redish light it luminated. After that my family went back inside and I was the only one left in the parking lot in disbelief. Thats when I saw another object similar to the picture posted here. It was not a regular shooting star or meteorite, becuase it was just way too big to be one. It was spitting out whitish sparks of light as it slowly came down to earth where it dissappeared behind the tree line. The only difference between the image and the one I saw was the color. It was entirly white. If I had a car back then, I would definitely drive down to where it landed and see it for myself. I used to live in Amherst, Massachusetts. There is a nuclear power plant and a Air force base not too far from there. I am not sure if they are in any way related.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Ditto the sorry mod

It's still not a contrail though.

Notice how the sun illuminates the TOP of the trail, and not the bottom. Since the sun is setting/already set in this picture, it means the trail is pointing DOWN, not horizontal as an aircraft contrail would. Do a search for "contrail sunset". Lots of photos, but none like this.

You are assuming that the trail is flat and level. Planes do climb and decend.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think its dumped jet fuel from a military aircraft. A massive fuel purge and given the right atmospheric conditions created a huge "ball" of fuel that ignited and fell as a flaming mass. Maybe it was struck by Ioninc Lightning in the atmosphere due to the denisty differential of the fuel mass and the surrounding air.

I doubt it was a contrail, even from a concord as the two pairs of engines are seperated under the wing by some distance. The fuel vapor/ice crystals that form contrails exist for quite some length and would reflect the sunlight at a greater distance then exihbited in the photos. Added to that when looking at the photos you can see a smaller single whisp trailing the main mass and then what appears to be a darker colored trail. Very much like a smoke trail from a flaming object, the internal vortex contains hotter air particles, hence the glowing effect, while the outer air particle stream begins to cool and "carbonize" creating the darker smoke appearance. Very inconsistant with a contrail where the entire vortex is at the same realative temp and the visable appearance of the trail is due to condensation of vapor crystals in the air.

www.archives.gov...

This is a picture of an aircraft being shot down, now mind you it had some certain velocity prior to being shot down but you can see that the fuel/fire stream clearly. If it was just a ball of fuel that was on fire it would have less of a confined shape and have a tendency to whisp in more of a vertical/vertex direction of the falling mass.

[edit on 15-6-2004 by robertfenix]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm glad this topic resurfaced. So NASA attached the 'contrail' explanation to this image? That's news to me. I've taken many pictures of contrails during all hours including sunset, and I've never seen anything similar to that picture.

HowardRoark, he's a 15 year old skateboarder. He's not a professional photographer.
According to this link and picture,Jonathan did "take two shots of the fiery ball before it burned out".

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
You are assuming that the trail is flat and level. Planes do climb and decend.

A real contrail would at least be close to level, particularly over such short distances. The trail in the picture though shows clear illumination on it's "upper"/"further" side, not it's underside. This means the trail has to be at a VERY steep angle. Since the sun is nearly at the horizon; way to steep for any commercial jet, and way to close/low given the conditions to form a contrail anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
robertfenix,

what do you make of the length of the trail, as seen in the Heywood picture earlier in this thread? is that consistent with a fuel dump? It just looks a bit long to me thats all..

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
the length of the trail really is not that long all things considered. If it was a fuel dump it should have been above 5000 feet. It might have been dumped higher and as it fell down in altitude was ignited by some source and burned until the fuel was exhausted. A Fuel/Air Bomb kind of works under the same principal just a higher density. Fuel gets atomized at a high density then a HE trigger ignites the mass over a target. In this case a "glob" of fuel somehow was ignited and burned as the mass dropped in altitude.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It made the UK news last year if i remember rightly.

and as for 'contrails off a planes tail' that is bullracks. i work night shifts off an elevated walkway on a carpark. I have a clear view almost to Heathrow airport 15 miles away and gatwick airports near London. I see HUNDREDS of contrails of aircraft in high altitude holding patterns and if that is a contrail off a planes tail then im in the running for the Californian Governorship.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
My thought is that it's an external fuel tank from a military aircraft that was ejected because of some problem and then exploded on the way down.

The explosion area shows some signifigant velocity, and it appears that whatever the object is, if it is exploding, it's begining to break up.

My theory is that some military aircraft had a mechanical problem in an external fuel tank, maybe a potental fire or something, and dropped it, the tank began to fall towards the ground, but caught fire and exploded before it hit. This would explain the shortness of the trail, the explosion and the vector.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
if that is a contrail off a planes tail then im in the running for the Californian Governorship.

from the first page of this thread

I think seeing that picture in its context supports the contrail explanation over any other suposition. Don't cut yourself shaving with Occhams razor.

What was your position on Proposition 50 Mr. Candidate?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
How does Occham's Razor support the contrail theory?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
TOO steep to be a contrail. Sorry but Ozram's Razor does not apply here.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix

Too steep and too short.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

Originally posted by robertfenix

Too steep and too short.

How can you tell this from a photograph taken from miles away?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Since the sun is setting, a real contrail would be illuminated from underneath, or possibly the side, depending on it's angle to the sun. The only illumination on the trail is from above and within the trial (as the burning dissipates). Therefore it must be hot and falling at a steep angle for the sun to illuminate the upper side.

Seriously, see if you can find a contrail that looks like this. Contrails just don't glow fiery hot at one end like that...

[edit on 15-6-2004 by muppet]

[edit on 15-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I remember back in 1999 after a school conference I was going home and I saw a thing JUST like that coing across the sky, I swear it was the largest thing I've ever seen in the sky. I was heading Eastbound, so was the meteor, and it was at approx. 45-50 degrees up from the southern horizon.

THE most amazing thing I've ever seen in the sky.

As in this case, it very well could have been a meteor. Think about it: thousands of pieces of space debri fly into earth on a daily basis. I wouldn't be surprised too much if a sofa sized rock came hurtling across the sky during a outdoor baseball game or something.

After all, it's not possible to pick EVERYTHING up that goes through our air.

[edit on 15-6-2004 by Socalbmx]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Cool!!

Did you hear any noise from it at all? crackling or explosions or anything?
What did the trail look like?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The sky was nearly completely an orange-yellow-ish, and the sun was setting RIGHT at the horizon when the meteor went streaking across....

However, after reading the theory that particles in the air refelcted sunlight and made it seem like that is quite plausible....

It's kinda hazy but the thing stayed in the air for a while, probably another 5 minutes before it shrank and turned into nothing..just smoke everywhere. Half of the contrail was orange as well, looked like it was really burning like mad.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join