It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Escape From This Society

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

Sir, you no need an assistant do you? lol.

I wish.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Hey there Shamus78,

It makes me smile that some people think this has to be a 'wind-up' ... because they can't envisage a life without the usual trappings (interesting word 'trappings' ... because that's exactly what they become)

From a personal perspective this is one of the best threads I have ever come across on ATS because you do not present yourself like some kind of 'gung-ho' survivalist like some do ... but you are daring to do what most dare not !

That is admirable.

It's also interesting to see how many posters would 'dream' of either coming with you ... or doing something similar ... but it all liklihood never will.

I think we should all take steps to test ourselves in case those 'trappings' are ever snatched away from us ... at least then there would not be such an epidemic of 'headless-chicken syndrome' if / when / should such a necessity ever occur.

I look forward to your updates once you have set-off ... and in the mean time I look forward to picking up some practical tips and learning some of the basics.

Woody

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This is called the geographic solution for getting away from people and society.

I spent many years living in the forests and deserts of the USA southwest.

I am almost did the boat trip too.

But I was going to do it in the ICW
en.wikipedia.org...
You can go from Texas to New Jersey.
The water there is never very deep so anchoring is simple and safe.
You are protected from the ocean waves. And you are never far
from a supermarket and a source of fresh water.

Doing it in the pacific sounds very difficult and dangerous.
I wonder if you could just live on your boat in the Mediterranean sea.

How about posting a picture of you and your boat.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Yes, to me a geographical escape is more of a escape then a spiritual or philosophical one. After all, I've pretty much already 'left' this society spirituality and philosophically, so my body wants to be included in the fun too.

Once again, I'm under no illusion that it will be all fun and easy living. Melanesia and the South Pacific is probably one of the toughest areas to live without outside support. but I'm committed and sure of my ability. I know the area and have already received support from people I know who live there.

As for the pics - Sure thing. I'l be down in the marina tomorrow after work, so I'll take some pics and let you see her layout. I'll make sure I'm in the pics, just so ya don't think I ripped them of the net.

Cheers
Shane (wrapped up inside today cause it's bloody stormy outside)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Ummm, this comes across as being a little self absorbed.
What is the purpose of life without interaction with society and people? Don't get me wrong, society has it's issues.
Can't you just turn "Lost" off and stop eating Big Mac's.

My personal opinion of what I have read and my friends in that age range is, you don't have a significant other (or just broke-up), don't have personal goals, feel society owes you something more than you have, a little jealous of seeing people in your age with beautiful families, don't know how to deal with loss, and might have a drinking problem. So you are running to something that will give you a short span of satisfaction and comfort. I will only guess that you have issues that need attention.

Something is missing in your life so you are going to isolate yourself. Yeah that makes sense.
If this isn't a suicide note, I don't know what one would look like.
Why wait six months? Leave tomorrow. "Free will", right?
Nature will be here long after we are gone. I would expect any average out-doors man to know this.

I would re-title this to "my escape from my problems..."

Maybe you can get one of these impressionable and depressing chicks to take a boat ride.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jeh2324

Hi Jeh2324,

Remember, I'm not leaving this society to be by myself and hide away, rather to re-join a society that fits in to my personal beliefs.

And no, I don't eat McD's. That stuff will kill ya

Leave tomorrow? That WOULD be suicide. Proper planning is essential to succeed in any endeavour, and simply setting sail on a whim would not achieve what I want to do. To me it seems you don't have much experience in any real life survival situations.

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever hunted for your food? Have you ever had observe the weather and make decisions based upon it? Have you ever felt a completeness in your life that is so absolute it could be considered Nirvana? I have, and for me, that is where I want to be. There are enough people unhappy with their life in this society, and I have decided not to become one of them.

I have achieved my personal goals, in this society and want to expand myself by challenging myself, rather then fall into entropy.

I respect your views, but I could also make some assumptions about your personal happiness based upon your posts. Anyway, you're welcome to you opinions, but the support I have received has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

By the way, Lost was North Pacific, not South. Huge difference in geography mate.

Society doesn't owe me anything, in fact I think that type of thinking is a major reason that so many people these days are disillusioned with their part in society. You make your own luck. Nobody owes you anything.

Isolation is not my goal. You do realise that people do still live apart from the modern society that we know and that in their 'primitive' society crime is virtually zero and people are far happier with their life? Each person contributes what they can and in turn is appreciated far greater then a 9 to 5 worker in this society. My friends in the South Pacific and Melanesia are some of the happiest people I know. And they are very welcoming to outsiders like myself.

And no, I certainly don't have a drinking problem. Why on earth you would think that is puzzling.

Again, I'm not going to be by myself. I can't stress that enough. I'm leaving this society to re-join one that fits me spiritually and physically. I'm not leaving to become a hermit.

We are all only here on this world for a short period of time, and personally I think if you can't have adventure in your life then what's the point?

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
[edit on 11-7-2010 by jeh2324]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I commend you for your courageousness and decision to escape a civilization already in decent in hopes of finding a better society in which to live. I have not posted here in over a year, and came across your thread while reading another. Through out my life I've been the unwilling recipient of information that has traumatized me while at the same time awakening me to the universal truths that determine the flow of time and space. This knowledge in the long run is allowing me the opportunity to compose a series of books, the first of which I hope to have published by the end of the year. However I still hate having to bear this weight on my shoulders and receiving the information is exhaustive, often times leaving me feeling sleepless even after a full nights rest, namely because the information is received via dreams where I am left with images, brief scenes are played out, or it feels like a total reality and non stop event unfolds until I awaken, sometimes with wounds received in the dream physically on my body. But this is beside the point...

I guess I just want to wish you well and let you know that staying on the water or on smaller islands is probably the best until the next deluge is over, circa 2016. Good luck with your voyage.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well done! I envy you, you have mustered the courage to break free that I long to find.. I can feel it building but know it is still away off and waiting for an event to push me out the door of society. I wish you well my brother!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

It's good to hear another person following their heart in such a manner. My brother and I are planning such a trip right now. Ours won't be on a boat, but it will be as much an undertaking as yours. Like you it's about following your soul. Mine says right now society isn't your thing and that goes the same for my brother and in about 10 months we'll be off aswell.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I just want to say good luck and may you meet the purpose you seek

to everyone else preparation really doesn't mean anything in terms of understanding whatever it is we face

I don't think this particular challenge is one of survival at it's most basic level
humanity has met this test over and and over and survived

we survived volcanoes, floods ,plagues , meteor strikes ,religious wars, famines, animal predation ,rape ,torture, tests of strength ,endurance ,intelligence, creativity,love, empathy ,togetherness,and aloneness,
everything that we can think off has been thrown at us

the people whose regions were destroyed in Katrina or the many wild fires or other disasters stored all their water batteries and food and amo for nothing just to see it swept into the sea or burnt to crisp

this is a test of who we have become and what world we want to live in, you can't collect enough flashlight batteries to get through that. We have to take stock of ourselves and decide ,what do we want?

It's a good question and I think the universe is asking ,it wants us to make a decision

think about it ,everyone on earth can't run and hide and wait it out
there are 7 billion of us! does the solution lie in who has the resources to collect enough stuff to wait out Armageddon?

I know what I want ,I made my decision what it is doesn't matter only how many others decide with me or I them.

anyway that's my take

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hello Shamus78!

I understand where your coming from. I think we share the same goal and I'm confident that you'll find what your looking for.

Good luck, my friend!

[edit on 11/7/2010 by Redge]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Hi All,

As promised I've been down the marina after work and taken some shots of me and Mutaku (my boat). She's 32 feet of pure sexy sailingness (?) and have just finished a huge engine re-fit. Next week she's going up onto drydock to get a nice new paint job (I'm thinking black), then I get to start playing with the interior.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3700cecf5090.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c98572f5474.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9c535cf2323.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87811a7a4cce.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6626e39b21fc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e96bae6eeae6.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78

The only problem with being on a boat is debris floating (or half floating) in the water. Really not much I can do about that but try and steer clear of areas where these debris will clump together in the currents.

[edit on 30/6/10 by shamus78]

I have a similar concern with that sort of plan myself, as that of Woodwytch. I've been thinking a lot, about packing up and shipping out to Peru, I'm currently trying to teach myself some Spanish, and then who knows. The only real snag in my thoughts, are those of impending tectonic shifts, and the associated effects.

If or when larger, and more frequent earthquakes arise, it won't just end there. The earthquakes will cause tsunami's/tidal waves, possibly bigger than could be imagined by most people. As well as volcanoes (although I'm personally slightly more concerned with a GIANT wave a mile high, and dozens of miles wide. What do you plan to do out at sea if faced with such a dilema? (Have you ever seen or read The Perfect Storm?

That said, I'm thinking Peru, higher altitudes preferably, but with access to a body of water (also preferably inland, as opposed to the ocean.)

If any one can think of any such place (high altitudes, inland water sources, perhaps a non-coastal region) I'd highly appreciate your input, as well as accounts of like-minded people. I really think we'd be on to something if we could pool our knowledge, and maybe this could be the starting of the new dawn of civilization??

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hi latEsleepeR,

Read the book, loved the movie. When that boat sank, it was only about 160 nautical miles off a major continent. This causes really different sea patterns then true blue water. The islands I'm heading to are roughly 1,600 nautical miles from any major content. It makes for a far more gentle sea - although that's not to say it's safe, it just a term used that means more swells and less breakers, and generally will have a less 'confused' pattern. This reduces the possibility of being in a 'Perfect Storm' situation, although anything can happen. I just try to be prepared as much as I can.

I'll get back to you on the other question, cause it's a really good question. Need some time to do some research rather then just pull a location off the top of my head. It deserves an answer that should have a defined and researched background, rather then just a convenient place to get to. Gives me something to think about while at work tomorrow.

And who knows, maybe I'll see you wherever - I'll be the really confused guy in a boat raving about the biggest swell he's ever seen!

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Hey there Shane,

Thank-you for the guided tour round your baby ... and weird or what but you look exactly how I imagined you
freaked myself out for a second.

I look forward to your updates and will keep checking in to see how preperations are going.

Woody

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok, If I had the money that you apparently have, I would "drop out" too. The thing is myself as well as the majority of the people on this site, don't have the money. If I dropped out of society today, I would run out of ammo quickly, and in six months would be hunting mice and squirrels with sticks. I don't have a yaught. If I did drop out, I guess I would still have my laptop, because it would be my only form of entertainment. Dropping out of society, for the most of us would mean waking up in a makeshift tent, in a public park and chasing food the rest of the day. You are not a drop out, you are rich and retired, although you don't watch TV anymore, and you try to eat healthy, Good job. Wish I was you.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

No, I don't have a lot of money. Right now I have about $23 in my bank account, and live from pay check to pay check. I've moved from my cottage to my workplace to save money and travel expenses. I have an old car, don't spend money going out much, and prefer to put what I have towards my lifestyle. However, I've never had a credit card, or used forms of credit. I think thats helped alot. I work very hard for the money I earn, so I'm not about to give it to some institution in exchange for something I don't really need.

Just about to head into the vineyard now in a nice rainstorm to earn another days wages, but if you do need some cash, become a contract vineyard/orchard worker. There's a thread somewhere on ATS along those lines. Work hard and you'll get what you need.

Most of the renovations I'm doing I'm doing myself, with the help of some friends. I've learnt more then I ever thought possible while doing so. While I'm on ATS I'm always doing other stuff, like disassembling and reassembling a bilge pump again and again so I can do so when needed. Also being in Oz, beer helps to get people around to help fix stuff.

Oh, and I first brought Mutaku for $5,000. Less then a lot of people will buy a car for.

Cheers
Shane

[edit on 13/7/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I know this is an old thread in Internet time, but the spirit of it is timeless. I arrived here by searching "escape from society". This thread was top of the list of search results. It's good to know there are those out there with a plan, and maybe it can be done. The user jeh2324, with his pompous, fatuous comments, has provided an example illustrating why I don't really like having to deal with people. Of course, the reasons are bigger than just people being arrogant jerks like jeh2324. It's not that I think society owes me something. It's that society believes it owns me---that I owe society something. So, yes, I too would like to get out. Maybe I should buy a boat.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by adamcross
I know this is an old thread in Internet time, but the spirit of it is timeless. I arrived here by searching "escape from society". This thread was top of the list of search results. It's good to know there are those out there with a plan, and maybe it can be done. The user jeh2324, with his pompous, fatuous comments, has provided an example illustrating why I don't really like having to deal with people. Of course, the reasons are bigger than just people being arrogant jerks like jeh2324. It's not that I think society owes me something. It's that society believes it owns me---that I owe society something. So, yes, I too would like to get out. Maybe I should buy a boat.

Hey there adamcross ... it's just made me smile to see this thread reappear on my list after all this time as I was literally only thinking about shamus78 and this thread a couple of days ago and wondering how he's doing after this amount of time ... if he has internet access and reads this it would be great to hear how things are and have been for him.

Woody

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join