It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Escape From This Society

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Hey All,

This thread is just to let ATS'ers know my plans for 2011, and a way for me to express my motives in an environment that I respect. I plan to update this frequently as I map out my plans. For now this is just a kind out outline to what I'm doing.

I'm live in the south-west of Oz right now, but have travelled a lot and have seen the world. And from my experiences I know the place I feel most at home is in the South Pacific. Despite all the freedom I enjoy in my day to day life, I feel there is something missing.

This type of world simply isn't for me, and I think that by isolating myself from this society (by not watching TV or eating fast food or any of a hundred things people reject that society accepts) can be a harmful way to live life. Therefore, I have decided to find a place in this world where my personality fits in with the people and the environment.

So January 2011, I'm leaving Oz behind and moving permanently out to the Pacific. While I'm not leaving for another 6 months, I have written this to communicate my plan to the world of ATS'ers. You guys (and gals) mean a lot to me – people who are able to speak their minds. And I will always respect all of you for it. Free will (from my perspective) is a greatest realisation we as a race have made.

Some things about me – I'm 32, in perfect health. I'm a former wilderness survival trainer and diving instructor, and have also been heavily involved in farming/viticulture/orchards for the last 10 years. I have never had a job where I was indoors.

I have a sensible head on my shoulders, and can observe the natural rhythms of nature (tides, winds, animals etc...) rather well. I can track game, and have hunted with a compound bow since I was old enough to draw the string.

I speak French rather poorly, but have been brought up with Bislam.

But above all else: I can get on with almost anybody. It's a trait that's gotten my out of some pretty hairy situations in the past, and the ability to emphasise with fellow people makes life much easier.

That's not so say I'm a pushover though, and I don't imagine for a second that everybody I meet wishes me well. Don't mistake me for a hippy

I have a yacht (a 32 footer) called Mutaku. Although not the most glamorous of boats, she sails well and is perfect for island hopping. She is kitted out with all the standard safety provisions (e.g EPIRB, life boat, life jackets, survival suits, flares...)

This is not be a jarring rush to escape, rather a slow and somewhat painful last embrace before I leave to follow my heart, initially alone. I love this world and the people in it, but for me, it is time to go and adapt to the world of nature before it's not there to experience anymore.

In fact, it's been time for awhile now, and with each passing day I feel sadder for both myself and the people I see everyday unable to cope with the society and environment around them. Before I feel any of that sadness turn to rage or some other unhealthy emotion, I'm taking myself out of the picture. I'm sure I'll make new friends and have some great times.

My commitment to this departure and the desire to get a better understanding of my 'soul' has led me to treat people better then I would have otherwise,, and not to get hung up on the small stuff that used to annoy me. I appreciate the quirks and fallacies of the human race, and will deeply miss being in such a world. But, there are other world views out there then what we know, and I hope to find the one that has called out to me for a long time.

I'm aware that this could almost be taken as a suicide note, if read under the wrong impression. It is definitely not. It is a re-affirmation of life and what drives me to be the best person I can be.

At the moment I'm making another thread up in the Survival board detailing exactly what I'm taking with me. Will post the link once it's up.

But this thread was created to examine the ideals I will be taking.

Any thought's on what I am about to do would be very welcome, and I appreciate any feedback. this is just a short intro to what I am doing, and will answer any questions people may have.

Cheers
Shane

On a side note, in 2006 my father disappeared in the Pacific area around Vanuatu. He is presumed dead (although no wreckage or body has been found) I was one of the people who taught him to sail. His apparent death has hardened my resolve to not let this happen to me. I am aware of the dangers out there and plan to take every opportunity to protect myself. After all, what use is a beautiful Pacific island when you've just chopped your leg with a machete?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
wow that hit me where it counts

i think you are needed - the world will need people like you to help them understand such things.

then you can go!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I have one very simple question.

Can I come with you?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
I have one very simple question.

Can I come with you?

get in line!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

Hey there shamus78,

Just reading your OP tells me that this is what you were meant to do ... it comes across in your words. There is a part of me that envies you and a part of me that admires you ... whatever you think, this is a brave decision and I can tell you have not made it lightly.

It's weird because I have started to change a lot lately ... to the point where I have been putting together a couple of survival kits (one for me and one for my son) and making certain preperations ... just feels like the sensible thing to do. So I shall definately be looking forward to your survival thread.

I check the global sceismo's every day ... and my one thing to ask you would be ... do you think the South Pacific is the ideal place to go ... because it is one of ... if not 'the' ... most active places on the planet ... and I really do feel that we are going to be experiencing some major tectonic shifts in the not so distant future. But I'm guessing that someone as prepared as you has already taken that into account.

I really sincerely wish you well in all your endeavours.

Woody

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Hi Woodwytch

Thanks for your input. Yes, earthquakes and tsunamis have featured alot in my planning.

I've grown up with earthquakes (my home town is a place called Hokitika, which sits very, very close to the Pacific and Australian plates, and have thought about where the best place would be. I know I'd rather be in a boat then on land if and when a large earthquake strikes. Preferably in blue water, with no land visible. Often you can have a huge swell pass right under you on a boat and not even notice it.

The only problem with being on a boat is debris floating (or half floating) in the water. Really not much I can do about that but try and steer clear of areas where these debris will clump together in the currents.

I'll just have to observe the world around me and look for signs of an earthquake about to occur. Things like birds and fish can give you a good indication of what's about to happen. Back in NZ, we would often see the sheep and cows acting 'stressed out' sometimes days before a big earthquake. Also absolutely terrible fishing the days before a big one hits. Most of the animals that would be affected try to go somewhere they feel safe. For alot of fish, it's back into deep water. Birds will disput their normal business to return to certain nesting spots.

I'm also throwing up the idea of taking a dog over with me, just for that reason. A dog gives off some quite clear signals when something is amiss, and would be a valuable companion when hunting and for protection. Question is what type of dog would be best? I'm leaning towards a kelpie/dingo cross. Lovely dogs and very intelligent

Being on an island and not realising there was a tsunami coming would most likely spell death. Still, surviving is going to be half the fun (I'm sure these words will come back to haunt me when I'm freezing cold in the middle of a tropical storm) I'll have to remember to laugh when that happens

TeddiRevolution & watchZEITGEISTnow, thanks for your support, it means heaps that people are reading this.

Shane

p.s My eyes are burning after being on the net all day long. Will post the equipment list up tomorrow, about this time.

[edit on 30/6/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I like this thread and the OP's obvious (and rare!) actual "plan" and ability/confidence to carry through...
I hope you'll continue to chronicle your adventures and discoveries and wish you everything wonderful ahead!
This sounds a LOT better than those lame-o "survival shows" that are all the rage currently

I absolutely agree with tha fact that "the ability to get on with anyone" is a gift in itself: I have been all over the world and have found it to be an invaluable skill.
I'm excited for you!

[edit on 30-6-2010 by irishchic]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Thanks for the full reply ... I really love your passion. And I think a dog would be a brilliant idea for all the reasons you mention ... but particularly as an early warning system.

My dog always let's me know when there's a thunderstorm coming ... sometimes hours before it arrives ... she has this little ritual that she goes through and she's never been wrong yet.

And a dog would be great company too ... plus warmth if you needed it.

Woody

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Irishchic:

Hey, I agree about all the 'survivor' type shows around at the moment. Bear Grylls (Man Vs Wild) really annoys me sometimes, he seems to do the complete opposite of what you should do a lot of the times. Good entertainment, terrible education. I usually end up yelling at the TV when I see his show! It's sooo bad it's good.

Best moment so far: descending thru a tunnel in a glacier to get off it, when you could see all he had to do was walk along a ridge-line a few hundred meters to a gentle slope that lead down to a valley. That and all the down climbing he does in every episode. Pure fantasy. Although by all accounts he's a really nice guy in real life.

Survival should be based on need, not desire.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I want to go as well. But be sure to keep a lookout for this guy:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3705a4e48851.jpg[/atsimg]

I suspect he's up to no good...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Enjoy your adventure.. Though never have understood the need by westerners to drag all sorts of things along just to travel or to "live off the grid".. You guys way overcomplicate life.. Relax .. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
good luck to you brother. you are living one of my fantasies of packing it all up and going on a tropical adventure. But as you have stated its not going to be all sunshine and lollipops. watch a couple of seasons of survivor and you will realize what your in for. But the pay off in the end will be invaluable.

a few bits of advice. dont think just because you escaped the rat race that you escaped the rats. there are rats in all aspects of humanity no matter what race they come from. make sure you remember us here at ATS and how lucky you are that you have the chance to do this. and finally take picture lots and lots of pictures and post them online whenever you get a chance. maybe even keep an online journal.

i wish you every success in this endeavor and know that you have inspired me to have my own adventure. it amazes me everyday how much power a human has to change the world for the better simply by example. Good luck friend and god speed.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

You know what? John Locke and Ben Linus were by far my favourite characters of the show. Just saw the finale and was moved to tear by Ben's transition to a nice guy!

Sad there's going to be no more episodes

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I wish you well, but running away never helps - take it from one who knows.

You may be sick of Oz's laws, but you may not find what you want out there.

We find what we want, ultimately, within ourselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I have found when ever I thought I needed a change of place. It was really me that needed the change and not necessarily the place. Having said that I wish you well in your journey and don't be afraid to come back if it turns out it not it was cracked up to be.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Though never have understood the need by westerners to drag all sorts of things along just to travel or to "live off the grid"

As you obviously have some experience in these matters, and I ask with the greatest respect, what would you bring along with you? I'm always interested in different ways to live life, but remember, I'm not going there to survive, but to live in a society that I can feel 'complete' in. Nor am I leaving to 'escape the grid'. ATS is a part of my life, and has helped me shape myself into who I am today. I respect the incredible opportunity that I have.

Picture this scenario:
You've arrived on a deserted island. There are no fresh water springs, and you've missed the monsoon rains. What equipment would you bring to create fresh water? To hunt? What equipment would you bring to survive? (I've rescued enough people who have relied in their 'God' or other ethereal ideas without proper planning to know better to doubt the sometimes terrible force of nature)

TiM3LoRd: I agree completely. In fact, being the 'new guy' will initially create more friction between myself and whoever I interact with. It's natural to be suspicious of the outsider. Thanks TiM3LoRd for your kind words, and I hope that your adventure will be successful.

Hawkiye: I've thought of this, but the thought of modifying my personality to fit into this society hasn't seemed to make sense for the last few years. I just refuse to modify myself anymore to seem 'normal' in this society. Each person has a path to follow, and this is mine. Thanks for the thought though.

catwhoknows: I'm certainly not running. If anything, I'm making a stand myself and for what I believe in. What I'm looking for is within myself - an inner peace that says "You are doing the right thing" And the only place I've felt remotely human is in the South Pacific. Although I can see how what I am doing could be construed as running, it's not.

I'm not leaving to escape this society, but to experience a new one. I'll still be updating on ATS, although not all the time. How could I forget you guys?

Will update my travel plans later tonight, along with the equipment list. Any thoughts or criticisms would be welcome. Thanks all for your input so far!

Cheers
Shane

[edit on 2/7/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This is a send-up - but my advice still stands.

There is no way you are doing that.

Very funny - not.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Mate, I can't predict the future anymore then you can, but this is my intent. We will both know Jan 2011, when I plan to depart.

May I ask, why do you feel this way? You mentioned knowing that running away doesn't solve anything, could you please divulge your personal experiences with this topic (if you feel comfortable to do so)? I'm interested in your experiences, although I don't want to derail this thread, so either send me a U2U or set up a separate thread detailing why you believe this to be a set-up.

Although I understand that any assurance I could give you would be looked upon as fake, I await your reply.

Cheers
Shane

p.s. I did agree about your last comment, but remember: I'm not running.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Just to let you guys know, I've posted the equipment list here:

Well, This Is What I'm Taking With Me So Far

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't really have much to add other then to say I wish you the best in your journeys. It's not often someone decides to take action instead of just sitting back and thinking about it, and for that I congratulate you.

I hope wherever life takes you will be full of peace and happiness, it seems those two things are in short supply these days.

<<   2 >>

join