It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revisiting the 1990 Greifsweld (Germany) “Plasma” UFO’s

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
ATS Team:

In dlifesjrny’s current interesting thread wherein we posted & discussed a series of interesting videos, deccal & easynow posted some interesting videos of the 1990 Greifsweld (Germany) “Plasma” UFO’s.

Deccal & I thought it might be interesting to revisit the videos, photos & reports pertaining to these strange lights.

Here is a fairly comprehensive MUFON report as posted by easynow in dlifesjrny’s thread:

The "Greifswald Lights"

Example for a Class B UFO report

by Illobrand von Ludwiger

On August 24, 1990, many independent witnesses observed formations of luminous spheres in the sky near the city of Greifswald, located close to the coast of the Baltic Sea. Many eyewitness reports backed up by videos and photographs make this case one of the best documented sightings in Europe.

Although the degree of strangeness in this case is not very high, no scientific explanation has been found to date. Some skeptics have tried to reduce the characteristics of this phenomenon to known one. But, so far, no one has successfully explained all the data observed and documented. The skeptics seem to be satisfied with any possible explanation. But from a scientific point of view a possibility is only the starting point for gathering evidence and the search for confirmation. In the ”Greifswald case” no convincing explanations for any hypothesis could be found.

Many sightings of what appeared to be groups of luminous spheres were reported in the early days of of August 1990 from the coast of the Baltic Sea between the cities of Rostock, Greifswald and the Isle of Ruegen and Usedom. These lights displayed unusual behavior contrary to airplanes, balloons, luminous ammunition and atmospherical phenomena. The movements of these lights appeared inconsistent with known objects, their acceleration seemed too rapid and abrupt.

The report concluded as follows:

The characteristics of the phenomena make it impossible to explain the appearance by military maneuvers. If the smaller objects were ammunition flying to the bright objects acting as a target, then the smaller objects would have exploded inside this group or flown through it. No one can explain, how one can stop a body in the air to zero speed without losing height. Until today nobody has come forward and claimed being the creator of these phenomena. Although different possibilities were considered, not one of them could account for all the different details reported, and nobody has been able to reproduce light formations like those observed near Greifswald.

Please follow this link to the full report:

www.mufon-ces.org...

Here is a map from the MUFON report illustrating the location of the objects as verified from several viewing points:

Here are 2 videos of the Greifweld objects, as posted by dlifesjrny & easynow, in dlifesjrny’s thread:

Plasma UFO's~ Greifswald, East Germany Date: August 24, 1990

UFO Greifswald Lights - August 24, 1990 Germany

Here is an enhanced picture of 2 groups of the objects:

Here is the original, unenhanced version of that picture:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ba5dd61ca5f.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a video posted by easynow of a similar phenomena that was observed in Russia several years later.

UFO Over St Petersburg, Russia 19th February 1997

I will be very interested to know what you think about this case.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Its quite a strange one this, they dont seem to move, they appear to be in suspended animation almost. They dont look like flares or lanterns either, however if you were to just glance at them it would probably be your first impression.

If you imagine something like this happening in the Hynek days, where footage was rare, you could understand why they came up with so many stupid conclusions ie, swamp gas, balloons and venus

Seriously though how could you explain that without footage to back up what your seeing.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

You never seem to be short of an opinion. What do you think's going on there?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Catch a fire.....

Its quite a strange one this

I agree.....there is some measure of being ”strange” about this case!

they dont seem to move, they appear to be in suspended animation almost.

There were witness statements to the effect there was significant movement of the objects:

”Mr. Gerald Schwab, a tourist from Berlin, described his observations to a German newspaper. He stated that: ”They stood there for three minutes before they accelerated rapidly forward”

“Mrs Vinogradova, living with her husband Valery in the same house on the second floor, was alerted by the noisy children in the street. She said it sounded as if they were observing something very unusual. Through the window she saw about 50 people looking at the sky. She noticed two luminous groups of lights in the sky and proceeded to call her husband, who works as a translator. He took a photo at the moment when two objects joined a formation of three lights that were already present (Camera: Zenith-E; Lens: Industar 50 mm; film: SweMA-G5Gost, 18° DIN). This group of objects later formed a ring of 7 luminous spheres. The ring-shaped group disappeared after being clearly visible for a few minutes.”

“The other group, higher up and further away, was not clearly visible at the beginning. As the ring-shaped group disappeared, the Y-formation became focused and clear. At first there were only 4 objects in this group, forming a cross. Then 2 more came shooting toward it and a little while later another object appeared between the upper lights. Ludmilla Ivanova filmed for about 4 minutes, but the group was still visible for another 15 minutes. The objects seemed to rotate about their axes.”

"Five photos were submitted for photoanalysis by the pilot Gerald D. He took the photos of the objects north of Greifswald. He wrote that he was very impressed when the smaller objects approached the Y-formation, with what he estimated as supersonic velocity, and came to a dead stop when they reached the formation. Drape noted: ”Because of their specific flight movements one must conclude that these objects flew under intelligent control.”

www.mufon-ces.org...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Catch a fire.....

They dont look like flares or lanterns either, however if you were to just glance at them it would probably be your first impression.

The MUFON report provides the following info:

”The size of the objects can be estimated by triangulation. From the data obtained, two items could be utilized to calculate the distance: The line of sight from Greifswald and from Posetitz on the Isle of Ruegen. It was concluded from this that the Y-formation was about 30 km from Greifswald. It hovered at an altitude of 6,500 m from the lowest sphere to the highest one. From the video recordings it appears that the size of the luminous spots is about 1/20 to 1/10 of the size of the whole formation. Taking the smallest extension of one of the light spots on a very highly underexposed photo (taken by Mr. Ladwig), i.e. 1/20 of the group of lights, then an estimated value of 12 ± 2 m results for the diameter of a sphere.”

“Computer enhancement and contrast increase reveal that the edges of the spots are darker than their middle. This shows that each spot consists of exact rings having the same brightness.”

“Therefore the objects were definitely spheres (see figure 6)”

www.mufon-ces.org...

Here’s figure 6:

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beatrix Kiddo Jr

You never seem to be short of an opinion. What do you think's going on there?

Beatrix Kiddo Jr.....

You never seem to be short of an opinion.

Hoepfully some of them are right!

What do you think's going on here?

I have a couple of ideas based on the videos that are avaliable, but they don't equate well with the witness reports.

I might just "shoosh up" for a bit & see what other members think.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
On first reading of this case i was of a mind these would most likely, turn out to be triboluminescence. That is in this case, lights caused by friction beneath the Earth's surface finding its' way "out" via fault lines. The description of the orange/gold lights is very typical of those given by many witnesses to this sort of phenomenon. Having watched the footage, i am not at all sure that is what we are looking at here.

have a look here home.comcast.net...

I suspect many of us have seen videos and photos of similar looking lights in th sky. One can see that, scaled up from a couple of small rocks to a geological fault line., the effect is the same, just on a far grander scale.

Which brings me back to these lights. They are a little too stable and a little too *defined* for my liking to be triboluminescence . As such, they definitely go into the *unknown* category for me.

Not withstanding Phage arriving to enlighten us as to the nocturnal mating habits of the famous Gdansk Hovering Goose and how the locals have taken to attaching Chinese lanterns to the geese's head, so they can watch their annual nocturnal hovering mating ritual. Or they could be secret government, back engineered swamp gas craft and you should be thankful your government doesn't waste millions of taxpayer's dollars on farting around in the sky... oh...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Maybe...maybe not, ive read and enjoyed quite a few of your posts, it maybe my suspicious mind working overtime but, im feeling you know more than your letting on
about this incident.

Come on spill the beans.......whats your take?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is one of the better WTF cases. Hundreds of witnesses and videos from different angles. Im not sure what it was it could be atmospheric but who knows? This was over a nuclear power plant but i have not heard of power plants causeing anything in the sky like that before.
There is more info here
www.ufologie.net...

and here on it
www.ufocasebook.com...

The only thing that made me suspicious is that the olny source from these sightings comes from the german documentary UFOs - und es gibt sie doch.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Thank you very much for opening this thread. This event is for me one of the most mysterious one, along with O'hare (although it has no video or picture, I have a feeling that something happened there). I think this thread deserves a much closer attention. Thanks again

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
Its quite a strange one this, they dont seem to move, they appear to be in suspended animation almost.

Although they seem to stationary most of the time, one orb clearly moves to the other ones. www.youtube.com...
After the 40th second, watch closely.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by deccal]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

There is more info here
www.ufologie.net...

Unfortunately I can't open any video from this page, I hope it is a temporarily problem and because of my server. It seems there are many videos here that I haven't seen before.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
Maybe...maybe not, ive read and enjoyed quite a few of your posts, it maybe my suspicious mind working overtime but, im feeling you know more than your letting on
about this incident.

Catch a Fire.....

Maybe...maybe not, ive read and enjoyed quite a few of your posts

Thank you, Catch a Fire!

it maybe my suspicious mind working overtime but, im feeling you know more than your letting on
about this incident.

Well to “quote” Dirty Harry….. “You shouldn’t overestimate my own capabilities!”

Well, I really don’t have much of a ”take”.

I have 1 idea, but it’s pretty “dodgy”…..

I was thinking about the idea there might be something to the tethered lantern / balloon theory.

It seems to me that when viewing the video, if you draw a line between the highest & lowest objects in the top group, that line intersects almost perfectly with the perhaps perceived “long axis” of the lower group.

I’m thinking that could be suggestive of a 2 groups of tethered objects that have been blown at an angle by the wind.

Of course, the tether theory is at odds with the witness reports

I’ve made this fairly rough schematic to try to show what I mean, base on my frame grab from the video:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce4f4e49e5c3.jpg[/atsimg]

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Thanks for bringing this ufo incident to our attention

very interesting case early on around the German unification times

They describe the ufo orbs as making a "ring" and that brings back memories, these lights can make a symmetrical circle for sure

they are amber/orange types, very common colour of ufo orbs along with whites

Makes me wonder if this area was also known as being a Foo Fighter location by US/UK pilots during WW2?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Right yeah, the Greifswald videos, how could i forget.
The army concluded that it were just flares. I don't think so.
Nice detail is that it happened not far from Peenemünde.

Need to say more?
Nazi UFOs are real!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter

Thanks for bringing this ufo incident to our attention
very interesting case early on around the German unification times
They describe the ufo orbs as making a "ring" and that brings back memories, these lights can make a symmetrical circle for sure
they are amber/orange types, very common colour of ufo orbs along with whites
Makes me wonder if this area was also known as being a Foo Fighter location by US/UK pilots during WW2?

Ufoorbhunter.....

Hey.....it's nice to see you in the thread!

I've no doubt your observations will be very interesting.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Those pics above, do they remind you of amber/orange types clustering like in my avatar?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Im guessing here, but surely a tether would be under stress and probably have a curve to its' arc?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Indeed the unification, unification of occupied territory.
World War 2 is far from over. The Greifswald incident was a reminder of that.
Officially the USA is still at war with Germany.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon

Im guessing here, but surely a tether would be under stress and probably have a curve to its' arc?

FireMoon.....

Thanks.....I didn't really think about that aspect.

Perhaps this can be checked via pictures of tethered objects.

I have to focus on work now.....I will see what I can find later on.

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Indeed the unification, unification of occupied territory.
World War 2 is far from over. The Greifswald incident was a reminder of that.
Officially the USA is still at war with Germany.

Makes you wonder why these things seem to show up at important times in our recent history. We need someone who can speak german to see if these amber/orange types were seen by the Anglo allied/Russian pilots over this region of Germany in WW2.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join